Android 10 now officially available for Pixel smartphones and Essential phone
As we already know, Google has done away with naming its android OS versions on names of desserts and has moved to a more standardised universal nomenclature and this year it has released Android 10. The new OS version is now officially available for download on Google’s own Pixel smartphone lineup provided you own an unlocked handset not a carrier locked one. The security patch for this update is dated 5th September 2019. Keeping up with tradition, Android 10 is also available on unlocked Essential phone. Surprisingly enough even Xiaomi has released Android 10 based stable MIUI 10 update for the K20 Pro smartphone while OnePlus has released open beta of Oxygen OS 10 to Oneplus 7 and 7 Pro.
Android 10 comes with a slew of essential features which will transform Android into an even more functional and user friendly operating platform. Some of the important new features of Android 10 are mentioned below.
- Live caption: With a single tap, Live Caption automatically captions videos, podcasts, and audio messages—even stuff you record yourself. Without ever needing wifi or cell phone data.
- Smart reply: In Android 10, you get more than just suggested responses to your messages. You also get recommended actions. So, if a friend asks you out to dinner, your phone will suggest you text “👍🏻”. Then, it’ll also pull up directions right in Google Maps. It even works in messaging apps like Signal.
- Sound amplifier: With Sound Amplifier, your phone can boost sound, filter background noise, and fine tune to how you hear best. Listening to podcasts, watching videos, or talking in a busy room — just plug in your headphones and hear everything more clearly.
- Gesture Navigation: Gestures are now quicker and more intuitive than ever. Go backwards and forwards, pull up the homescreen, and swipe up to see your open apps. All super smooth.
- Dark theme: Android’s new Dark theme uses true black to keep your battery alive longer. Plus, it also changes how your Google apps look, like Calendar and Photos.
- Privacy controls: With Android 10, you’re in control of your privacy. That’s because you get new, smarter controls that let you decide how and when data on your device is shared. So you can rest easy.
- Security updates: Android devices already get regular security updates. And in Android 10, you’ll get them even faster and easier. With Google Play system updates, important Security and Privacy fixes can now be sent directly to your phone from Google Play, just the same way all your other apps update. So you get these fixes as soon as they are available.
- Digital wellbeing: Quality time. It’s different for everyone. For some, it’s unplugging on the weekends. For others, it’s spending hours video-chatting with your best friend. Android 10 gives you the tools to find that balance.
- Focus mode: For getting in the zone and blocking out distractions. Focus mode is now in Beta and lets you select apps to pause temporarily. So if you want to turn off a distracting app to get something done, all you have to do is tap.
- Family link: Help guide your kids as they learn, play, and explore online. You can set screen time limits, view app activity, manage apps and content restrictions, and see where they are.