1080p & 1080i

TR Vishnu

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Brothers,
I have some doubts.
1.What is the main difference between 1080p and 1080i in hd channels?
2.Why all dth and broadcasters use 1080i?
3.Is 1080p has better picture clarity than 1080i?
4.Which is true hd?1080p or 1080i

Please reply members.I think it will be helpful to other member brothers also.

Thank You.

1. 1080p ("p" stands for progressive) means that there are 1080 individual lines of resolution that are all displayed at the same time, 1/30th of a second. This resolution will produce the highest quality images, BUT, the TV has to receive a 1080p signal in order to produce the best picture. Most satellite and cable companies only send HD in 720p and your TV has to "scale down" the image. It's worth noting that some TV's scale down better than others.

A 1080i signal comprises 1080 horizontal lines but all the lines are not displayed on-screen simultaneously. Instead, they are interlaced (hence the 'i'), ie every other lines is displayed for 1/60th of a second and then the alternate lines are displayed for 1/60th of a second. So, the frame rate is still 30 frames per second, but each frame is split into two fields, which your brain then puts together subconsciously.

The practical difference is that 1080p will give you a much higher quality picture and is better suited to live action, especially sports. TV's that use interlacing will tend to produce a blur.

2. They all use 1080i because 1080p needs double bandwidth and more processing power at the tv production unit. But the difference is too little too notice, thats why 1080i is used worldwide.

3. Of course 1080p is better.

4. Both are true HD.

Source: Wiki, yahoo Answer, My knowledge

dipayan said:
Some foreign DTH like DirecTv broadcast @ 1080p

No dth in world use 1080p only few channel which are pay per view telecast in 1080p in usa only which are too many costly

dreambox.pk said:
No dth in world use 1080p only few channel which are pay per view telecast in 1080p in usa only which are too many costly

Yes, u r right bro..

Re: RE: 1080p & 1080i

@Harry@123 U cannot differentiate the two if u are asked to find out which one is 1080p and which one 1080i. As both are of same resolution. In fact 1080i is higher resolution than blue ray movies.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock