12 pay channels launched in Q2; 5 channels turned FTA

Dinesh jain

Contributor
Reaction score
: Twelve new pay channels were launched during the second quarter ended 30 September 2016, taking the total of pay channels in the country to 281, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has said in its quarterly report.

Star India launched four channels—Star Sports Select HD 1, Star Sports Select HD 2, Vijay Super and MAA HD.

Sony Pictures Networks India (SPNI) and Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd (ZEEL) had launched two pay channels each. Sony had launched SAB HD and Le Plex HD while ZEEL had launched Zee Cinemalu and Zee Yuva. Viacom18’s second Kannada GEC, Colors Super, made its debut during the quarter.

Zee Media Corporation Ltd (ZMCL) had Launched its English news channel WION during the quarter. AETN18 had launched its second channel FYITV18.

While the TRAI list includes Times Now HD among pay channels that were launched, the channel has not yet launched. Times Network is still drawing up plans to launch the channel.

While 12 pay channels were launched, five pay channels had converted to free to air (FTA). These included 9XO, IBN7, News18 Kerala, News18 Tamil Nadu and News18 Assam/North East. One channel, namely Zee Smile, was discontinued during the quarter.

In the trailing quarter, 16 pay channels were launched, taking the total pay channel count to 275. Additionally, four channels including 9X Jalwa, 9X Jhakaas, Zee News and NDTV India had converted to FTA.

Additionally, Jaya TV had changed its feed to HD and Times Network had stopped the HD feed of Movies Now. Also, during the quarter, intimation about the merger of Prism TV with Viacom18 Media with effect from 1 September 2016 was received.

Cable TV service
In the cable TV sector, Fastway Transmission and Hathway Cable & Datacom were carrying the highest number of TV channels at 423. Ortel Communications was carrying the least number of channels at 205.

The maximum number of FTA channels, which is 183, was being offered by DEN Satellite Networks, while GTPL Cable & Broadband Pariseva had the most pay channels on its platform at 235. Hathway Sukhamrit Cable & Datacom had the most local cable channels at 89.

12 pay channels launched in Q2; 5 channels turned FTA | TelevisionPost.com

MSK786 said:
So now 9XO made FTA channel ;)

Gssran said:
9XO fta from many months.

Then why are dth operators taking such high prices for it? Eg, airtel 9xo price is ₹20 pm. Is it legal to charge ₹20 for fta channel?

Tha.RP8 said:
Then why are dth operators taking such high prices for it? Eg, airtel 9xo price is ₹20 pm. Is it legal to charge ₹20 for fta channel?
airtel looting for fta chanl[emoji35]

Ok.. I was not accusing airtel, man.. I was just asking whether it is possible... Now I got to know that some people also cjarge Rs 10 for dd.. So its possible it seems..

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock