35 million DTH subscribers inactive, 7 private channels not operational

Thakur

Banned
Reaction score
Almost 34.90 million subscribers of direct-to-home (DTH) operators in India were inactive as against the total registered subscriber base of 76.05 million until the quarter ending March this year.

Citing the number of subscribers across platforms such as DTH, television, multi-system operators (MSOs), internet, broadband, radio etc, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) in its latest quarterly report revealed the following:

DTH

The number of active subscribers of the six private DTH operators namely Tata Sky, Dish TV, Videocon d2h, Airtel Digital, Sun TV and Reliance Digital TV stands at 41.15 million.

TELEVISION CHANNELS

Seven television channels are still not active, if one goes by TRAI’s quarterly report, according to which the Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry had said that it had cleared 829 private television channels by 31 March, 2015. It may be recalled that Minister of State for I&B Rajyavardhan Rathore had yesterday told the Parliament that a total of 822 channels had been cleared.

Of these channels, there were a total of 245 pay channels as reported by the broadcasters as on 31 January, 2015.

However, six new pay channels namely &TV, &TV HD, Star Sports HD 3, Star Sports HD 4, Asianet Movie and Suvarna Plus – were launched, which took the number of pay channels up to 251 by the end of March.

In areas served by non-addressable systems, the maximum number of TV channels carried in digital form as reported by multi-system operator (MSO) Hathway Cable & Datacom amongst those who have reported, is 393. On the other hand, the maximum number of TV channels carried in analog form, as reported by Ortel Communications amongst those who have reported is 100.

MSOs

There are a total of 155 MSOs, who have been granted Permanent Registration (for 10 years) by the I&B Ministry for providing Cable TV services through Digital Addressable Systems (DAS) by March.

RADIO

Apart from the radio stations operated by All India Radio, there were 243 operational private FM Radio stations as on 31 March, 2015. Meanwhile, as against the 208 community radio licenses issued, a total of 180 community radio stations were operational by March this year.

INTERNET & BROADBAND

The total number of Internet subscribers increased from 267.39 million at the end of December last year to 302.35 million at the end of March, 2015, registering a quarterly growth rate of 13.08 per cent.

Out of 302.35 million, Wired Internet subscribers stood at 19.07 million, whereas there were 283.29 million Wireless Internet subscribers.

The number of Broadband Internet subscribers increased from 85.74 million at the end of December 2014 to 99.20 million at the end of March 2015, showing quarterly growth rate of 15.71 per cent.

NARROWBAND

The number of Narrowband Internet subscribers increased from 181.65 million at the end of December last year to 203.15 million at the end of March this year, with quarterly growth rate of 11.83 per cent.
http://www.indiantelevision.com/regulators/trai/35-million-dth-subscribers-inactive-7-private-channels-not-operational-till-march-2015-trai-150812

With 46% inactive subscriber base (7.3% rise quarterly), future is not bright for DTH industry in fact in deep cloud :s

Bishnu15 said:
I think DD Free Dish subscriber base cant be count.
yes but it has highest no. Of users..bcz all Dishtv subscribers are DDFD users.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock