DDF Exclusive Airtel Xstream Box Hands On! Review

• Thread starter k2max6
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 425
  • Views: Views 129,491
Ot
what is the expected life of the Xtream box as loaded Andriod OS after some time will stop getting updated or OTT apps like youtube etc will not support existing android OS?
It will be a long time before apps supporting this box. It has android pie so atleast 4 years, I would say, by then something new would have come. Netflix recently stopped supporting 5+ years old Samsung TVs I guess.

Hi Xstream STB users,

I would like to give it a try on the Xstream STB, but before that I need some input or help from the existing users. I have two major concerns or drawback from my TV. I have a Samsung Smart TV 2018 with most of the apps I use were existing, but still missing Android to a bit.
Apart from it has Android, I have two major issues with my TV apps. I also read @k2max6, mentioning on Samsung TV, it would be good if you could light us on my questions too.

Drawbacks with my TV:
Despite it has 4K and amazing picture quality, I do miss the audio experience from the OTT apps in it although I have a dedicated Soundbar Samsung M450.
  • YouTube and few other apps has poor sound quality. On a noisy env (with just my ceiling fan turned on), very bad sound experience
    • Since most of youtube content was not properly engineered for audio
  • Original contents from Amazon prime has a good sound but older movies from it has again a poor audio
  • Hotstar app is really unusable except the regional shows
Netflix app is THE BEST software which runs on my TV on my view.

Please note: I tested it by connecting Fire TV stick 4k from a friend and it had good audio on same environment.

So keeping this on mind, I would like to ask the fellow Xstream STB users, the following questions. Can someone quickly answer before I take decisions:
  1. How good the Audio experience? I'm not sure of all the blah blah mentioned like Dolby Atmos, 5.1, etc., I'm considering pure user reviews please.
  2. When you upgrade by paying Rs.2249, was the existing plan altered?
    • I don't want to do the hustle of choosing channels again
    • Also I do not care of the 1 month free channels.
  3. Also, Xstream Video content is a collection from many existing OTT services, I believe, So the content is chargeable after a year or any trial period?
Huge thanks for the early responses.

Thanks,
JK

Last edited:
Hi Xstream STB users,

I would like to give it a try on the Xstream STB, but before that I need some input or help from the existing users. I have two major concerns or drawback from my TV. I have a Samsung Smart TV 2018 with most of the apps I use were existing, but still missing Android to a bit.
Apart from it has Android, I have two major issues with my TV apps. I also read @k2max6, mentioning on Samsung TV, it would be good if you could light us on my questions too.

Drawbacks with my TV:
Despite it has 4K and amazing picture quality, I do miss the audio experience from the OTT apps in it although I have a dedicated Soundbar Samsung M450.
  • YouTube and few other apps has poor sound quality. On a noisy env (with just my ceiling fan turned on), very bad sound experience
    • Since most of youtube content was not properly engineered for audio
  • Original contents from Amazon prime has a good sound but older movies from it has again a poor audio
  • Hotstar app is really unusable except the regional shows
Netflix app is THE BEST software which runs on my TV on my view.

Please note: I tested it by connecting Fire TV stick 4k from a friend and it had good audio on same environment.

So keeping this on mind, I would like to ask the fellow Xstream STB users, the following questions. Can someone quickly answer before I take decisions:
  1. How good the Audio experience? I'm not sure of all the blah blah mentioned like Dolby Atmos, 5.1, etc., I'm considering pure user reviews please.
  2. When you upgrade by paying Rs.2249, was the existing plan altered?
    • I don't want to do the hustle of choosing channels again
    • Also I do not care of the 1 month free channels.
  3. Also, Xstream Video content is a collection from many existing OTT services, I believe, So the content is chargeable after a year or any trial period?
Huge thanks for the early responses.

Thanks,
JK
1. Simple answer is, no, Xstream Box has worst audio experience on a home theater. You can read detailed info here

Discussion - Audio issues on XStream Smart box

2. You can continue your existing plan.

3. For now, the Xstream content is free for an year. After that we will have to see how airtel prices it.

1. Simple answer is, no, Xstream Box has worst audio experience on a home theater. You can read detailed info here

Discussion - Audio issues on XStream Smart box

2. You can continue your existing plan.

3. For now, the Xstream content is free for an year. After that we will have to see how airtel prices it.

Thanks for the respose Siva.

I compared my TV's ott app with fire TV stick and observed a major difference in sound quality. Unfortuantely i dont have any friends with xstream stb to compare. If i have the same sound output as of fire TV, i would be happy. 😊

Thanks again,
JK

Thanks for the respose Siva.

I compared my TV's ott app with fire TV stick and observed a major difference in sound quality. Unfortuantely i dont have any friends with xstream stb to compare. If i have the same sound output as of fire TV, i would be happy. 😊

Thanks again,
JK
As I said, Xstream Box can't come even close to the fire TV stick in terms of audio quality. It doesn't even support 5.1 audio on Amazon prime video.

As I said, Xstream Box can't come even close to the fire TV stick in terms of audio quality. It doesn't even support 5.1 audio on Amazon prime video.
Airtel xstream box is the best when compare to any other android box in India. The best thing is it combines both DTH and OTT. Fire stick is different and should not be considered for comparison.. Tatasky's Binge Firestick is the total flop becoz of this feature

Airtel xstream box is the best when compare to any other android box in India. The best thing is it combines both DTH and OTT. Fire stick is different and should not be considered for comparison.. Tatasky's Binge Firestick is the total flop becoz of this feature
We are talking about the audio quality here. Not about any other features. Please read the previous posts again.

Airtel xstream should immediately bring the feature of catch-up TV, as Tatasky Binge+ is going to offer the same

Airtel xstream should immediately bring the feature of catch-up TV, as Tatasky Binge+ is going to offer the same
isnt the xstream app supposed to be same catch-up tv? dont they have previous episodes of tv shows?

EDIT: tata sky binge+ is nothing but fancy name for xstream.... i dont see any difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock