Airtel Xstream Box - Stay Away

I should have stayed away from this too...The damn thing can't play 4k movies & only support FAT32 file system so we can't even copy 4k movies on the external drives...

I'm hugely regretting buying it now...I did read all the reviews here on the box & also watched all the YT videos regarding this box & no-one no-where mentioned that this thing can't play 4k files even though 4k has been written on the box...

And I also agree with you that not many people can afford all the monthly/yearly app subscriptions...I myself am not subscribed to Prime & Netflix...I bought this not because of streaming but because they advertised the box as a 4k box...So, I bought this box to play 4k movies from HDD/pen-drive & to watch normal DTH channels...

Just because most people on this forum are buying the box for streaming does not mean that, all people will need the box for the exact same purpose...I know you had a different purpose & so had I...
Agreed, everyone has different usage. The box surely sounds lucrative if one thinks of it as media player + DTH but it isn’t as capable in the media player department.

As the name Xstream suggests it is intended for customers interested in using streaming services as well as DTH.

I guess you missed in the review discussion, I had specified that it doesn’t support NTFS and exFAT. Neither did it support my 2 tb hdd.
If you would have asked me , that buying this box for playing 4K movies makes sense? I would have said No. But that ship has sailed now.
Anyways it is more of a 4K streaming box. Playing occasional video files from pendrive is a different thing.

As far as xstream subscription is concerned don’t trouble yourself with customer care. Just send a message to airtel india on facebook or twitter and they should handle it smoothly. Xstream subscription should have been activated at the time of installation though.

P.S I am in no way supporting the box or airtel just sharing my knowledge.

I should have stayed away from this too...The damn thing can't play 4k movies & only support FAT32 file system so we can't even copy 4k movies on the external drives...

I'm hugely regretting buying it now...I did read all the reviews here on the box & also watched all the YT videos regarding this box & no-one no-where mentioned that this thing can't play 4k files even though 4k has been written on the box...

And I also agree with you that not many people can afford all the monthly/yearly app subscriptions...I myself am not subscribed to Prime & Netflix...I bought this not because of streaming but because they advertised the box as a 4k box...So, I bought this box to play 4k movies from HDD/pen-drive & to watch normal DTH channels...

Just because most people on this forum are buying the box for streaming does not mean that, all people will need the box for the exact same purpose...I know you had a different purpose & so had I...

I all along used Airtel DTH because of its good remote that comes along with its conventional STB (and also it is programmable) and channels were easy to navigate without any significant lag and its flow were smooth. On this count, it was the best.

A technician from Airtel visited my place yesterday and shown that the remote of Xstream is programmable (No mannual came along with the STB). I stand corrected on this. However, I have shown him some glitch in implementation of HDMI-CEC Compliance and also, problem of quality of sound. I was told that Airtel's back end team is working on it.

I have not checked ability of xstream box to play 4K video but I do not have doubt on this. However, looking at specification of the STB, I guess, it will just able to manage that.

For storing large file videos and other wise also, my advise is to use Network Storage (NAS). It is not expensive now a days. Another added advantage is that once your media is on your home network, you can stream to any of mobile, tablet or any other connected device wirelessly. My Nvidia Sheld is working excellent as Media Player also. You can use Kodi on Plex for this.

The question is Why I have changed to stream box from my earlier 2 tuners HD STB and why not JIO fiber?

My job is transferable. JIO fiber is area specific service, and I can not take along with me to other place. My earlier STB from Airtel was very old, was making noise and probably about to die. It was consuming more electricity also. My requirement of recording has also come down as I am able to stream from internet some of the programme I watch. Also, DTH and Streaming from internet complement each other in case of bad weather and occasional bad internet connectivity. I can now manage with single tuner. Streaming Interface is still very primitive and a lot of work has to be done before we go 100% for streaming and absolute 'cord cutting'. In DTH channel switching is instantaneous. ThereforeDual nature of Xsteam box suites me.

For DTH part of Xstream box, I was expecting at least the features that Airtel is providing in its conventional STB. The channel navigation should be improved. Favorite mode should be there for ease in navigation. Airtel may consider my earlier suggestion on this. The recording facility will eventually come but Airtel Customer Care is poor in communicating. There is no timeline. Addressing issue of sound quality is important

....And at last.....if was to watch the NDTV programme 'Gadget 360' telecast on last Saturday/ Sunday, I have no way to watch it in absence of recording facility (even through streaming) and I also it is not convenient for me to coincide my time for its future episode. The recording facility should quickly come.

Anand

Agreed, everyone has different usage. The box surely sounds lucrative if one thinks of it as media player + DTH but it isn’t as capable in the media player department.

As the name Xstream suggests it is intended for customers interested in using streaming services as well as DTH.

I guess you missed in the review discussion, I had specified that it doesn’t support NTFS and exFAT. Neither did it support my 2 tb hdd.
If you would have asked me , that buying this box for playing 4K movies makes sense? I would have said No. But that ship has sailed now.
Anyways it is more of a 4K streaming box. Playing occasional video files from pendrive is a different thing.

As far as xstream subscription is concerned don’t trouble yourself with customer care. Just send a message to airtel india on facebook or twitter and they should handle it smoothly. Xstream subscription should have been activated at the time of installation though.

P.S I am in no way supporting the box or airtel just sharing my knowledge.
I already contacted them on twitter about the missing Xstream subscription but seems like they don't even know that this box is suppose to come with that subscription...I got AirTel Priority calls from several senior Airtel executives & none of them knew about this subscription...All they asked me to download the Xstream app from the Google play on the box...When I told them that, there is no such app for android TV platform, they hung up the phone in between a running conversation...

They updated my mobile number wrong in their system & after several calls & twitter messages, they still can't rectify the issue...On my Xstream box, someone else's mobile number is showing...

And when I am trying to watch any show or movies on the home page, the below error comes...

Airtel customer care people have no idea about this error...

Such harassment for a new customer... :mad:

urXWVOP.jpg

Customer support of Airtel is horribly bad. The system is good when there is no issue. Once it occurs you are in soup.

Customer support of Airtel is horribly bad. The system is good when there is no issue. Once it occurs you are in soup.
Yes...Just yesterday they installed the box & I needed to ask them to send a technician tomorrow but I have less hopes that the technician will be able to solve my issues...Only the nodal team can/may be able to solve these issues...So, if within tomorrow my issues don't get solved, I will email them hoping they will solve the issues...

I all along used Airtel DTH because of its good remote that comes along with its conventional STB (and also it is programmable) and channels were easy to navigate without any significant lag and its flow were smooth. On this count, it was the best.

A technician from Airtel visited my place yesterday and shown that the remote of Xstream is programmable (No mannual came along with the STB). I stand corrected on this. However, I have shown him some glitch in implementation of HDMI-CEC Compliance and also, problem of quality of sound. I was told that Airtel's back end team is working on it.

I have not checked ability of xstream box to play 4K video but I do not have doubt on this. However, looking at specification of the STB, I guess, it will just able to manage that.

For storing large file videos and other wise also, my advise is to use Network Storage (NAS). It is not expensive now a days. Another added advantage is that once your media is on your home network, you can stream to any of mobile, tablet or any other connected device wirelessly. My Nvidia Sheld is working excellent as Media Player also. You can use Kodi on Plex for this.

The question is Why I have changed to stream box from my earlier 2 tuners HD STB and why not JIO fiber?

My job is transferable. JIO fiber is area specific service, and I can not take along with me to other place. My earlier STB from Airtel was very old, was making noise and probably about to die. It was consuming more electricity also. My requirement of recording has also come down as I am able to stream from internet some of the programme I watch. Also, DTH and Streaming from internet complement each other in case of bad weather and occasional bad internet connectivity. I can now manage with single tuner. Streaming Interface is still very primitive and a lot of work has to be done before we go 100% for streaming and absolute 'cord cutting'. In DTH channel switching is instantaneous. ThereforeDual nature of Xsteam box suites me.

For DTH part of Xstream box, I was expecting at least the features that Airtel is providing in its conventional STB. The channel navigation should be improved. Favorite mode should be there for ease in navigation. Airtel may consider my earlier suggestion on this. The recording facility will eventually come but Airtel Customer Care is poor in communicating. There is no timeline. Addressing issue of sound quality is important

....And at last.....if was to watch the NDTV programme 'Gadget 360' telecast on last Saturday/ Sunday, I have no way to watch it in absence of recording facility (even through streaming) and I also it is not convenient for me to coincide my time for its future episode. The recording facility should quickly come.

Anand

Ease of navigation to channels is an important aspect. I am using Airtel DTH since it was born. Navigation System of its conventional STB is the best. The same should have been continued and ... It can be done.

On the basis of my one week use of Xstream box, my few suggestions are followings.

1. In DTH mode, on pressing 'guide' button on remote Programme menu comes. However, the running channel does not run in the background as in its conventional STB. This feature should be restored and picture audio should continue to come.

2. Option should be there to filter out the other than favourite channels in this menu.

3. While watching a DTH Channel, left & right arrow buttons give information on next or previous channels. By pressing 'ok' button to can switch to that channel. Option should be to have favourite mode and when selected, only next or previous channels should come. This will make the DTB very user friendly.

My other points not related with navigation issues are-

1. Recording facilities should be brought immediately. People feel cheated.

2. There is audio issues when you use with Digital Home Theater like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha etc with HDMI input and output. When I disable 'System Sound' from the device setting, the output is only 2 channels. Also, level of sound randomly goes down. I am getting over this problem by keeping 'System Sound' on and 'HDMI Sound Control' off. It is a compromise. The issue is required to be addressed urgently.

3. There is a glitch in HDMI-CEC

I hope, Airtel addresses these issues quickly. I hope that Airtel has a good sound engineer as a part of its developer team.

Anand

Ease of navigation to channels is an important aspect. I am using Airtel DTH since it was born. Navigation System of its conventional STB is the best. The same should have been continued and ... It can be done.

On the basis of my one week use of Xstream box, my few suggestions are followings.

1. In DTH mode, on pressing 'guide' button on remote Programme menu comes. However, the running channel does not run in the background as in its conventional STB. This feature should be restored and picture audio should continue to come.

2. Option should be there to filter out the other than favourite channels in this menu.

3. While watching a DTH Channel, left & right arrow buttons give information on next or previous channels. By pressing 'ok' button to can switch to that channel. Option should be to have favourite mode and when selected, only next or previous channels should come. This will make the DTB very user friendly.

My other points not related with navigation issues are-

1. Recording facilities should be brought immediately. People feel cheated.

2. There is audio issues when you use with Digital Home Theater like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha etc with HDMI input and output. When I disable 'System Sound' from the device setting, the output is only 2 channels. Also, level of sound randomly goes down. I am getting over this problem by keeping 'System Sound' on and 'HDMI Sound Control' off. It is a compromise. The issue is required to be addressed urgently.

3. There is a glitch in HDMI-CEC

I hope, Airtel addresses these issues quickly. I hope that Airtel has a good sound engineer as a part of its developer team.

Anand
I was using Airtel DTH since 2009 and upgraded to HD DVR in 2011 after I purchased a LCD panel and my association with Airtel HD DVR was memorable. I used to connect HD DVR STB through optical cable with my low end Philips DVD 5.1 system and the results were awsome. I fully enjoyed its recording features. My wife used to record some important programs of my interest and I used to watch them when I returned from work. Except news channels, we used to record all other programs and watch them leizurely. I enjoyed it till 2018 when my HD DVR died and Airtel refused to replace it and suggested me to downgrade to normal HD STB What hurt me is their causal aproach and neglect of their long associated customer. I was so angry that I shifted to Dish TV and even ported my Airtel mobile number to Idea Cellular.
Now I have no connection with Airtel.

Last edited:
I was using Airtel DTH since 2009 and upgraded to HD DVR in 2011 after I purchased a LCD panel and my association with Airtel HD DVR was memorable. I used to connect HD DVR STB through optical cable with my low end Philips DVD 5.1 system and the results were awsome. I fully enjoyed its recording features. My wife used to record some important programs of my interest and I used to watch them when I returned from work. Except news channels, we used to record all other programs and watch them leizurely. I enjoyed it till 2018 when my HD DVR died and Airtel refused to replace it and suggested me to downgrade to normal HD STB What hurt me is their causal aproach and neglect of their long associated customer. I was so angry that I shifted to Dish TV and even ported my Airtel mobile number to Idea Cellular.
Now I have no connection with Airtel.

Airtel has employed semi literate persons in it customers support. They neither understand customers requirement nor technical issues.

Airtel management does not understand value of Brand Image and mostly harp on providing low cost solutions which mostly works but not in optimal way.

Anand

On poor navigation in Xstream Box I had commented earlier. The problem to that in Internet TV. The following is a copy of a old post by somebody else on the issue.

“I recently purchased an airtel internet TV box for my wife.

She's very pissed because there's no way to scroll through her favorite channels (Malayalam/Tamil/Hindi/Kids), and she has to manually punch the numbers to move from one segment to another.

She has been complaining since day 1. Recently, I sat down with her to watch some TV, and it was truly a horrible experience, having to punch numbers repeatedly. She has also not turned out to be a big consumer of Internet TV features.

So, I have decided to throw away the Internet TV box and buy another connection.

I know that Tata Sky has an option for 50 favorite channels, and you can scroll them using the program button without coming into contact with inactive channels and non-favorites.

I also know that our previous Dish TV box, which no longer works, also had this feature.

So, I'm tempted to order another Dish TV connection. Does the latest box also have this feature (of minimum 50 favorite channels)? What about D2h boxes (I prefer them slightly because of the magic stick option). I already know that Sun Direct doesn't have any such feature in its boxes and you have to use their genre/language menus.”

I hope Airtel address this issue.

Further by the same person

“.....someone here told me I could set 50 favorites on Internet TV box of Airtel, and that is why I upgraded it. Then I realized that you can set favorites, but you can't browse favorites :mad::mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock