Discussion Airtel XStream Box vs Tata Play Binge+

• Thread starter dino29
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 38
  • Views: Views 11,541

dino29

Reaction score
I don't understand why they are showing the qr code and binge promotion..people buying Binge box are already advance users who knows about the app..not sure why the promotion 😡
Instead they could show it in the EPG

As per my interactions with local dealers, Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Boxes are selling lot more than Tata Play Binge Boxes. I think most of the Tata Play premium/affluent subscriber base have migrated completely to OTT while regular subscribers r opting much less for Binge Boxes while incase of Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Boxes lot of demand is coming from urban cities and even smaller towns as bcoz of cheaper broadband plans and OTT benefits airtel is offering in their Airtel Black Combo DTH plans, lot of people r opting for it...also similarly in the premium subscriber base of Airtel Digital TV there is also preference to opt for XStream Smart Box under these combo plans

As per my interactions with local dealers, Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Boxes are selling lot more than Tata Play Binge Boxes. I think most of the Tata Play premium/affluent subscriber base have migrated completely to OTT while regular subscribers r opting much less for Binge Boxes while incase of Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Boxes lot of demand is coming from urban cities and even smaller towns as bcoz of cheaper broadband plans and OTT benefits airtel is offering in their Airtel Black Combo DTH plans, lot of people r opting for it...also similarly in the premium subscriber base of Airtel Digital TV there is also preference to opt for XStream Smart Box under these combo plans
Bro do you have any official source for this...... Ofcourse, if a premium subscriber is not intersted in live tv anymore shifted to ott... It is not only with Tataplay..... Same case on every dth... And u can't simply say more demand for airtel xstream.... Because xstream box also Is not perfect.... Infact it doesn't have proper UI, airtel dth doesn't have proper app... No proper favourite channel function and all...
Tataplay binge providing all the basics.. Proper favourite channel system, best ott packs... Netflix combos... Proper app and all... The real problem is inefficient hardware it is same for both binge and xstream....
There is demand for XStream with only airtel broadband subs. Or people who want to opt for airtel fiber....
Infact airtel black is not a huge money saver it is a flexibility of single bill and support...
So u cannot simply mention things like this... Airtel is only selling more...
Both xstream and binge are in early stages... Both companies putting their efforts in different ways to gain subs.
Strategies will hit or miss like this logo issue...
That doesn't mean binge boxes are not selling that's why Tataplay is doing this...
Actually they want more binge subs. For higher arpu...like airtel promoting black plans...
So they are doing this Ofcourse it is not a good idea...
So, I think it is not a good idea to post like this.... Without any proper proof..
Because airtel xstream is also not perfect...

Last edited:
I think people are compromising by going for Airtel Xstream just to save cost. People know Airtel lacks intent to provide important channels at crucial times. Premium Xstream user has to stream matches as linear HD channels like MTV HD was missing during World Cup.

Bro do you have any official source for this...... Ofcourse, if a premium subscriber is not intersted in live tv anymore shifted to ott... It is not only with Tataplay..... Same case on every dth... And u can't simply say more demand for airtel xstream.... Because xstream box also Is not perfect.... Infact it doesn't have proper UI, airtel dth doesn't have proper app... No proper favourite channel function and all...
Tataplay binge providing all the basics.. Proper favourite channel system, best ott packs... Netflix combos... Proper app and all... The real problem is inefficient hardware it is same for both binge and xstream....
There is demand for XStream with only airtel broadband subs. Or people who want to opt for airtel fiber....
Infact airtel black is not a huge money saver it is a flexibility of single bill and support...
So u cannot simply mention things like this... Airtel is only selling more...
Both xstream and binge are in early stages... Both companies putting their efforts in different ways to gain subs.
Strategies will hit or miss like this logo issue...
That doesn't mean binge boxes are not selling that's why Tataplay is doing this...
Actually they want more binge subs. For higher arpu...like airtel promoting black plans...
So they are doing this Ofcourse it is not a good idea...
So, I think it is not a good idea to post like this.... Without any proper proof..
Because airtel xstream is also not perfect...

We have discussions on this topic earlier hence won't go into detail. All i can state based on my experience and reviews of others is that Airtel XStream Smart Boxes provide much have much better product quality than Tata Play Binge Boxes. User Interface, Navigation and other Functionality related things r lot more smoother and more well well designed/developed in Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Boxes. Airtel XStream Box scores high in hardware / software aspect over Tata Play Binge boxes and even in pack combos

I was not referring other general issues in earlier wherein surely Airtel Digital TV and Tata Play both have certain shortcomings and advantages.

@Vadirocks will be able to give u more clarity about sales or demand of both Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Box snd Tata Play Binge Box and the reviews received for them.

As i have based on what i have heard from various dealers , Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Boxes are selling more on individual basis, thru upgrade option and even via Airtel Black DTH Combo Plans

I think people are compromising by going for Airtel Xstream just to save cost. People know Airtel lacks intent to provide important channels at crucial times. Premium Xstream user has to stream matches as linear HD channels like MTV HD was missing during World Cup.

Certain channels r missing and so r on Tata Play but these will b having very minute impact while consumer makes a decision to opt for a DTH connection.

Airtel Digital TV is providing lot of SD and HD channels on their platform at affordable pricing...even for Airtel XStream Boxes they r offering added benefits of OTT and other things at discounted pricing or giving complimentary/free access with individual connection or Airtel Black DTH Combo Plans which add value to the overall product offering made available to people. Also their boxes r available at very low pricing and are of good build quality.

There is no compromise but customers are getting lot of good value while opting for Airtel Digital TV / Airtel XStream STB and even their broadband/mobile connections

Certain channels r missing and so r on Tata Play but these will b having very minute impact while consumer makes a decision to opt for a DTH connection.

Airtel Digital TV is providing lot of SD and HD channels on their platform at affordable pricing...even for Airtel XStream Boxes they r offering added benefits of OTT and other things at discounted pricing or giving complimentary/free access with individual connection or Airtel Black DTH Combo Plans which add value to the overall product offering made available to people. Also their boxes r available at very low pricing and are of good build quality.

There is no compromise but customers are getting lot of good value while opting for Airtel Digital TV / Airtel XStream STB and even their broadband/mobile connections
It's a compromise buddy. Airtel Xstream doesn't come with a worthy OTT bundle where Tata is offering almost everything except Prime Video and Netflix on their Binge pack of ₹299. On top of that Tata Play has plans with Netflix.

It's a compromise buddy. Airtel Xstream doesn't come with a worthy OTT bundle where Tata is offering almost everything except Prime Video and Netflix on their Binge pack. On top that Tata Play has plans with Netflix.

It is not at all a compromise. Airtel too offers Netflix under their Airtel Black Plans. They currently offer just i variant of Airtel XStream Premium OTT pack which costs Rs. 149 and offers content from around 18 Apps in it...also this OTT pack being given on complimentary basis to Airtel DTH / Broadband / Mobile subscribers under various offers / plans.

They might soon launch new variants of Airtel XStream OTT Premium Packs wherein higher variant will include Netflix too. Tata Play too offers various variants of binge OTT packs and all of these do not include Netflix, just higher variant of their OTT + TV Channels combo packs offer Netflix similar to Airtel Black DTH combo plans

Last edited:
It is not at all a compromise. Airtel too offers Netflix under their Airtel Black Plans. They currently offer just i variant of Airtel XStream Premium OTT pack which costs Rs. 149 and offers content from around 18 Apps in it...also this OTT pack being given on complimentary basis to Airtel DTH / Broadband / Mobile subscribers under various offers / plans.
But on Tata Play we don't need to pay for any broadband plan and postpaid plan to get Netflix. There are many small tier Binge packs. What do you think Tata Play despite being a premium brand is catering to all sections of viewers?

But on Tata Play we don't need to pay for any broadband plan and postpaid plan to get Netflix. There are many small tier Binge packs. What do you think Tata Play despite being a premium brand is catering to all sections of viewers?

But u have to pay additionally for both TV Channels and Netflix in Tata Play OTT+TV Channels combo packs...in Airtel Black Combo Plans Netflix is offered on complimentary / free basis , we just pay discounted price for mobile / DTH / Broadband in the concerned airtel black combo plan which has different variants.

Tata Play still needs to make changes in its strategy to be able to earn more revenue thru other modes like having more home channels airing tekeshopping ads / ads on App and come up with more cost effective packs / offers for regular subscribers without compromising on quality of service or adopting cost cutting measures which adversely impact user experience

We have discussions on this topic earlier hence won't go into detail. All i can state based on my experience and reviews of others is that Airtel XStream Smart Boxes provide much have much better product quality than Tata Play Binge Boxes. User Interface, Navigation and other Functionality related things r lot more smoother and more well well designed/developed in Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Boxes. Airtel XStream Box scores high in hardware / software aspect over Tata Play Binge boxes and even in pack combos

I was not referring other general issues in earlier wherein surely Airtel Digital TV and Tata Play both have certain shortcomings and advantages.

@Vadirocks will be able to give u more clarity about sales or demand of both Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Box snd Tata Play Binge Box and the reviews received for them.

As i have based on what i have heard from various dealers , Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Boxes are selling more on individual basis, thru upgrade option and even via Airtel Black DTH Combo Plans

Bro, one suggestion as you don't show any partiality I will suggest to use binge box and xstream box once and navigate the UI of both boxes thoroughly...
Because I can assure u binge box has better UI in every ascept when compared xstream box... Because I used both boxes...
1. Favorite channels setting is simple in binge box only missing is fav button on remote other than that everything is same as HD box...
But in airtel favourite channels system is worst there is no specific lcn... And no order of favourite channels..
2. In Binge we can navigate to the UI like app, content suggestions and all and channel still play in the background but in airtel if we want to see apps channels will be stopped... It is basic because people want a background noise and search for the Content they need to watch...
3. Binge box shows u recommendations and continue watching.... For suppose if I watch a match in prime video... Or something in the content suggestions it will sports related movies and all... There is nothing like this in xstream... (only shows content but based on what we watched...)
4. Binge box have suggestions like most watched channels... Live tv suggestions, record a show suggestions etc.,
5. Live tv through internet.., Internet TV

That's why I am saying binge plus is best in terms of Software....

In terms of hardware xstream, binge are not best they have their issues...

Combo packs are best in tataplay... Binge packs and netflix combos... Add on prime and all...

U are still saying airtel xstream is selling more.... Can u mention any official proof for that?
Because, Tata Play Is market leader and also in recent paytv subs. churn also it is not only the one lost subs.. Airtel also losed subs..
And still TataPlay Is Market Leader... With a good margin when compared to second dth operator (airtel)
Bro, again it is a suggestion use both boxes once u will feel surely binge box has better UI.. Which fills all the basic needs...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock