• Thread starter Aksgr
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 2
  • Views: Views 1,037

Should Disney Sell ESPN and ABC ?

• Total voters

Aksgr

Reaction score
Disney, like most media companies, had a rough year. But one Wall Street analyst has an idea for how Disney could get back on track.
Both ESPN and ABC are dragging the growth of Disney.
“Spinning ESPN/ABC is the best path forward and we see it as a reasonably probable late-’23 event,” Cahall wrote, adding that splitting off ESPN and ABC from Disney would mean that the remainder of the company would be “an attractive pure play [intellectual property] company.”

Till 2019, Disney was in a hurry of buying properties and expanding the empire. But abundance of assets are troubling the management now. Especially a lot of units came to them with the acquisition of Fox properties. And now they have plans to revise the expenses and re organise its properties. But I don't think they will sell ESPN or ABC now. Both of them declined growth but still in profit. Their streaming kid 'Disney+' is the major contributor of loss(about 1 billion). So they will do the treatment over the OTT by cutting expenses and raising plan cost. Then the movies released last 2 years underperformed. It is also a reason.
Ofcourse their will be spin off and dissolving, but it will be on smaller units - Like stakes in Tata play etc.

Till 2019, Disney was in a hurry of buying properties and expanding the empire. But abundance of assets are troubling the management now. Especially a lot of units came to them with the acquisition of Fox properties. And now they have plans to revise the expenses and re organise its properties. But I don't think they will sell ESPN or ABC now. Both of them declined growth but still in profit. Their streaming kid 'Disney+' is the major contributor of loss(about 1 billion). So they will do the treatment over the OTT by cutting expenses and raising plan cost. Then the movies released last 2 years underperformed. It is also a reason.
Ofcourse their will be spin off and dissolving, but it will be on smaller units - Like stakes in Tata play etc.
Marvel still has the same craze, but recent marvel movies are underperforming. and yes the strange worlds has been the biggest loss this year. I dont see they making profit with ABC atleast . It wont look attractive for investors.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock