Anna Hazare, Arvind Kejriwal are NDTV ‘Indian of the Year’

Ravi budhwar

Reaction score
NDTV announced the Indian of the Year Award at a star studded ceremony held in Delhi on October 18, 2011. Anna Hazare and Arvind Kejriwal were declared as NDTV Indian of the Year 2011 for their exceptional contribution towards the society in the year gone by. Actor Dev Anand and cricketer Rahul Dravid were honoured with Lifetime Achievement Awards.

Speaking on the occasion, Prannoy Roy, Chairman, NDTV said, “The Indian media today is the most fearless around the world. As part of the media, we are proud to be country’s fourth pillar. I feel it’s imperative now to have strong and effective defamation laws in the country.” He also added, “Media cannot be above the law.”

Meanwhile, MS Dhoni received the Indian Heroes Award along with his teammates and key members, including Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, S Sreesanth, Ashish Nehra, Virat Kohli, Ashish Nehra, Suresh Raina, Piyush Chawla and R Ashwin.

Entertainer of the year (Music) Award was given to the trio of Shankar, Ehsaan and Loy.

Nandan Nilekani received the award for Transformational Idea of the Year. He said, “I am confident that through project ‘Aadhar’ millions of anonymous people will get an identity. We also hope that people will value our efforts. We have already enrolled 100 million people and are in the process of adding more day by day.”

Special recognition was also conferred upon some RTI activists under ‘LIC Unsung Heroes’. Those were - Satish Shetty (Posthumous), activist Brijmohan Mishra and Vitthal Gite (Posthumous), Vishram Dodia (Posthumous), Dattatreya Patil (Posthumous) and Amit Jethva (Posthumous).

The awards were presented by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, I&B Minister Ambika Soni, Minister of Rural Development Jairam Ramesh, BCCI President N Srinivasan, and DK Mehrotra, Chairman, Life Corporation of India.

‘NDTV Indian of The Year’ in its sixth successful year, honoured extraordinary Indians who have shown excellence in their respective fields like business, sports, entertainment and have done the nation proud.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock