Arasu says MIB can't enforce analogue switchoff in Chennai on 31 Dec '16

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Digital addressable system (DAS) or digitisation of India cable TV could well see a further slowdown if the Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable TV Corporation Ltd (TACTV) has its way. The government-owned Chennai-based MSO has written to the information and broadcasting ministry (MIB) saying that its order to broadcasters to shut off analogue signals by 31 December 2016 cannot be adhered to for the city.

The reason: the Madras High Court has yet to pass judgment on TACTV’s litigation with the MIB and the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India on the applicability of DAS regulations in Chennai and on the issue of a DAS licence to it.

TACTV had earlier applied to the MIB for a DAS licence but not met with any success as both it and the TRAI believe that distribution of television via cable TV should be kept out of the purview of government owned undertakings, which the former is.

Following the rejection of its application, the cable TV MSO had approached the Madras High Court through two writ petitions bearing nos. 7067/2013 and 7068/2013. Both had sought direction to the MIB to process its DAS licence applications dated 5 July 2012, and 23 November 2012. But both are pending before the court.

The Madras High Court had then passed a restraining order on writ petitions 34213/2013 and 40365 of 2015, disallowing the disconnection of analogue TV signals in Chennai.

TACTV says that if broadcasters heed the 31 December 2016 analogue signal switch off notification sent by the MIB to them, it would tantamount to contempt of court and could attract proceedings in that direction.

The cable TV MSO says that the “MIB had itself admitted as much in a counter affidavit dated November 18, 2013 filed before the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT).”

TRAI had through a press release on 10 December 2013 termed the transmission of analogue signals in Chennai as illegal and had tried to restrain TACTV from transmitting the same.

Arasu says MIB can't enforce analogue switchoff in Chennai on 31 Dec '16 | Indian Television Dot Com

Still it is going on... Don't know when will the final judgement be announced..

Just one month left and no DAS urgency in Chennai. Seems only time can say what happens next on cable tv.

TN govt not interested in digitilazation. Its a big hurdle for central govt. TN people cant' enjoy good service. Fate of tamilians.

mpvelu said:
TN govt not interested in digitilazation. Its a big hurdle for central govt. TN people cant' enjoy good service. Fate of tamilians.

Unless TRAI decides on Arasu DAS application soon, i think the same situation might continue.

Why state govt is so much interested in cable TV business. Is it really a profitable business there?

Sarkar said:
Why state govt is so much interested in cable TV business. Is it really a profitable business there?

They started because private operators was charging nearly 150 - 230 rs per connection and other motive is to scrap sun network cable tv (I believe not sure)  :shy

@sarkar bro I dont know about profit deails, this is what happens, One connection is RS 70 from that LCO will pay to arasu cable around 20 rs per connetion :) But in reality they are collecting 100 rs per connection

In analogue It's the same price here and I believe all over India. If other states people don't hv any problem with ₹100- ₹150 then not sure why TN govt is having problems.

Sarkar said:
In analogue It's the same price here and I believe all over India. If other states people don't hv any problem with ₹100- ₹150 then not sure why TN govt is having problems.

TN govt has a policy to provide affordable service at low cost and this all started with Arasu cable, then came mineral water at Rs 10 per lt, next is amma canteen and now broadband internet via arasu cable, soon in near future are low cost theaters.

This is not for money alone but a public welfare move and since she has another 5 years to rule more of such schemes can be expected.

7771.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock