Discussion Are English GEC and English movies on TV dead?

• Thread starter karan
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 22
  • Views: Views 3,594

karan

Reaction score
If I were the channel head of an English GEC TV channel, or an English Movies TV channel, I would really be very very worried. News from the BARC front for the English content business has been really bleak, this past week. While the viewership at an All India level for the category remained almost constant in Week 14, and English News Channels showed a 16% growth over end-2018 figures, English Business New Channels plummeted 29%, English Movie Channels declined 64% and English GEC channels crashed 58%. Not a very positive sentiment for the entire English genre.
Blog: Are English GEC and English movies on TV dead?

English shows or movies are available Ad-Free or with less Ads on OTT, while on TV we get them with Ads and same day broadcast of TV shows is also not available in most cases. People who generally watch them prefers quick and interruption free experience, that's why these Channels are seeing decline in viewership.

Last edited:
And more ever all indian English gec channels are not trying to boost there viewership...most of them have rights of very few famous shows...for example star world air game of thrones most of time,colors infinity treats suits as there flagship show, comedy central mainly depend on friends for ratings, jainie the virgin is only famous show belongs to remedy now...please tell me if any channels has other good shows..i just search 1 month schedule of all English gec channels and found most of channels hav only 1 or 2 famous good quality english shows

And more ever all indian English gec channels are not trying to boost there viewership...most of them have rights of very few famous shows...for example star world air game of thrones most of time,colors infinity treats suits as there flagship show, comedy central mainly depend on friends for ratings, jainie the virgin is only famous show belongs to remedy now...please tell me if any channels has other good shows..i just search 1 month schedule of all English gec channels and found most of channels hav only 1 or 2 famous good quality english shows
You cleverly didn't include Zee Cafe who has diverse content. I am not gonna include any shows in the list. Just look at the schedule. They even have better original content. Take Koffee with Karan for example. Meanwhile English channels are getting a huge boost in coming months because of blocking of pirated sites and the pricing of OTT services.

Here's another example. You want to watch Suits. You can watch Suits on Colors Infinity along with US. Meanwhile you gotta wait for months to watch on Netflix for which you are paying ₹490 more. If you got recorder box than its better for you as you got ad-free content after midnight. The only thing you need OTT is for censorship. I don't think Marvel or network TV content needs censorship.

They r lagging far behind bcoz of their own wrong strategy

- In earlier tariff framework, channels were priced too high , there was no option to chose just a base pack containing niche channels, also a-la-carte mode was of no use bcoz of unjustified rates. In recent framework too most broadcasters chose to kept bouquet prices on upper scale hence further keeping subscribers at bay.

With OTT people had freedom to chose, watch as per convenience without any cuts, also there were flexible/affordable subscription plans so most English content viewers and even others hopped on there.

- Now coming to content, except Colors Infinity and Comedy Central none of other English GEC broadcasters paid much attention to acquiring good/latest content. This is why these 2 succeeded in getting top positions prior to new framework rollout. Later on both started showing stale content for most part and came down on rating charts.

Few years back Star India was going strong but goofed up programming when they launched SWP HD, they lost out on Star World loyal viewers and SWP flopped bcoz of few takers. Zee again had latest shows on air back in 2013-15 but dipped down post that bcoz on OTT platforms taking over alongwith free internet access thanks to Jio. AXN never was ahead in airing new content but just like earlier they r airing fresh programs during 10 PM to 12 AM slot on weekdays and some other ones on weekends, they r also using movies to attract viewers.

- Now coming to subscribers, we should understand that operating a channel and OTT platform is a completely different business model as far as economics is concerned. Cost involved in running OTT is far less than what is required for a satellite channel (annual licence fee, distribution, workforce, satellite cost, content acquisition etc.) hence unless people r willing to pay more for subscription of niche channels... Things will continue like this (till OTT is there). Ads alone cannot sustain premium channels. Also broadcasters /operators need to come up with special initiatives like giving Free USB Recording , giving access to content on OTT mode for channels opted and have special shows on HD feeds rather than simulcasting SD content.

English Movie Channels again need to reduce gap between theatrical release of movie and its TV premiere. Also they need to enlarge movie library with fewer repetition. Lastly they need to tap on a new emerging audience in semi urban, rural areas as there is strong inclination there towards watching international content and if served properly they will a gamechanger for English GEC/Movie Channels. Remember there is a vast majority who still cannot get onboard OTT bandwagon bcoz of pricing factor hence satellite tv has lot of potential thanks to sheer volume which can spread out cost burden. There r some other steps which can be taken to counter OTT platforms

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock