Atrocious audio on TataSky since DD+

sanjay0864

Reaction score
In all the euphoria over TataSky shifting to DD+ no one seems to have noticed that the audio quality has now actually become crap? Apparently, instead of passing the original audio thru, TataSky is now processing the audio and in the process are totally screwing up the audio quality. Channel separation is now mostly non existent and so is surround sound with hardly any audio in the rear channels most of the time. Bass also is now almost non existent. The volume level of most channels is also quite low now. Bottom line is, that TataSky is totally destroying the audio of all the channels that they are providing in DD+.

Is there really nothing we can do to get TataSky to acknowledge and fix this. They should simply pass the original audio thru without any processing. Even if it means going back to just DD, then so be it. The unprocessed original DD audio would be far better than this crap tht they are feeding us in the name of DD+

y the way, I had noticed the drop in audio quality when DD+ was first introduced. At that time channels with DD+ quite clearly sounded inferior to the ones that were only DD. But then after a while I noticed the problem get resolved and DD+ channels sounded good. But then at some point, I think when TataSky went in for wholesale conversion of channels to DD+, I noticed the audio went totally to hell and now has been like this for a while. I had thought of posting earlier too, but I did not in the hope that the problem will get resolved on it's own. But it's clear now, that unless we raise our voices, TataSky will continue with whatever nonsense they are doing.

PS: Before anyone starts lecturing me on how either my system is the problem or that I am wrong, let it be known that I have a top notch high end Home Theater setup and decades of experience with audio/video to know what I am talking about.

For reference, my AV setup:

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE7000U
Screen: 135" 16:9 Elite Saker Tab Tensioned
TV: Samsung PS64F8500 (65" Plasma)
DTH: TataSky HD-DVR
Blu-ray: Oppo BDP-103 | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3
Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8802A
Power Amp (7 x Main Channels): Emotiva XPA-7
Power Amp (4 x Height Channels): Denon AVR5800 <- For Dolby Atmos | DTS-X
Speakers:
Mains: Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2
Centre: Paradigm Reference Prestige 55C
Side Surround: Tannoy Mercury M5
Rear Surround: SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Height x 4: Community Pro CS8 <- For Dolby Atmos | DTS-X
Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo 15

RE: Atrocious DD+ audio on TataSky

U r the first one to post dis bro

s its true me also noticed dis in a tv showroom in my town

tata syk should rectify it

Me also agree with you to some extent. But English movies and English entertainment HD channels audio is very good. I don't find any difference between Tata sky and Airtel.

Not having any issues here on my yamaha receiver. If you're having issues with DD+ you can change the audio preference on the STB to DD.
I'm using the spdif output and DD. Getting proper sound even from the rears

But if we select dd or dd+ sound is low. When select pcm then sound is ok.

Yes , we had a discussion on this earlier , dd sounds better than dd+ . Tata Sky should rectify this . Airtel sound quality is awesome when compared to tatasky .

Both DD and DD+ are designed for use with AV receivers either via HDMI or SPDIF. The PCM format should be used for sound over the television.

Listening to sources encoded in DD or DD+ via a television's stereo speakers will always cause a drop in audio levels because it does not decode it fully. Only an AV receiver can. I've been using my receiver with tata sky HD ever since it has been launched and never faced a sound quality issue.

So IMO there's no fault in the audio broadcasting from tata sky's end. Just that the correct format should be used.

Agree with soundtek

Moreover if you are using LEDs that support DD/+ then it should also work on TV. But to get true DD/+ it's better to use Home theatre than using it on TV.

sanjay0864 said:
In all the euphoria over TataSky shifting to DD+ no one seems to have noticed that the audio quality has now actually become crap? Apparently, instead of passing the original audio thru, TataSky is now processing the audio and in the process are totally screwing up the audio quality. Channel separation is now mostly non existent and so is surround sound with hardly any audio in the rear channels most of the time. Bass also is now almost non existent. The volume level of most channels is also quite low now. Bottom line is, that TataSky is totally destroying the audio of all the channels that they are providing in DD+.

Is there really nothing we can do to get TataSky to acknowledge and fix this. They should simply pass the original audio thru without any processing. Even if it means going back to just DD, then so be it. The unprocessed original DD audio would be far better than this crap tht they are feeding us in the name of DD+

y the way, I had noticed the drop in audio quality when DD+ was first introduced. At that time channels with DD+ quite clearly sounded inferior to the ones that were only DD. But then after a while I noticed the problem get resolved and DD+ channels sounded good. But then at some point, I think when TataSky went in for wholesale conversion of channels to DD+, I noticed the audio went totally to hell and now has been like this for a while. I had thought of posting earlier too, but I did not in the hope that the problem will get resolved on it's own. But it's clear now, that unless we raise our voices, TataSky will continue with whatever nonsense they are doing.

PS: Before anyone starts lecturing me on how either my system is the problem or that I am wrong, let it be known that I have a top notch high end Home Theater setup and decades of experience with audio/video to know what I am talking about.
Tata sky has screwed both audio and picture quality by adding maximum HD channels. What is the point in adding hd channels when audio and video quality has been compromised. 
I can clearly make out the dd sound quality in airtel hd and tata sky hd. In airtel the audio feed is raw and no processing is done from airtel side and as a result the audio quality is top notch.
Even the picture quality of tata skyin hd channels shows pixels when scenes involve camera movement.
I have ditched my tata sky transfer + hd due to these factors

cruise712 said:
Tata sky has screwed both audio and picture quality by adding maximum HD channels. What is the point in adding hd channels when audio and video quality has been compromised. 
I can clearly make out the dd sound quality in airtel hd and tata sky hd. In airtel the audio feed is raw and no processing is done from airtel side and as a result the audio quality is top notch.
Even the picture quality of tata skyin hd channels shows pixels when scenes involve camera movement.
I have ditched my tata sky transfer + hd due to these factors

No bro HD channels PQ is Excellent for me :) even for most of guys using TS :)

and we have a discussion with this earlier too :shy and you are from one of those who got bad experience :s

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock