Discussion Audio issues on XStream Smart box [SOLVED]

• Thread starter Siva
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 435
  • Views: Views 116,066
U selected Dolby digital plus audio is better option.
His 5.1 system has to support DD+ for that...If it's an old box, it may not have support for DD+...

@Velu61, if your home theater supports Dolby Digital Plus (DD+), select that on the Xstream box...If your 5.1 system supports upto DD/DTS, you can select Dolby Digital because in that case, even if you select DD+, you won't get that out of your 5.1 system if your system doesn't support DD+...

I connected Xstream box to yamaha AVR.
Amazon prime doesn't give true 5.1 Audio, but the AVR still shows Dolby Digital.
So ridiculous Airtel advertising Atmos and all that nonsense, but they cant even deliver basic 5.1
Before releasing the box into market, can't they do basic check with Prime and Netflix for true 5.1???

Is there a possibility of filing a complaint in consumer forum ??
What do you say guys ???

I connected Xstream box to yamaha AVR.
Amazon prime doesn't give true 5.1 Audio, but the AVR still shows Dolby Digital.
So ridiculous Airtel advertising Atmos and all that nonsense, but they cant even deliver basic 5.1
Before releasing the box into market, can't they do basic check with Prime and Netflix for true 5.1???

Is there a possibility of filing a complaint in consumer forum ??
What do you say guys ???
Hi buddy
I understand your concern but let me point out few things before filing compliant.

regarding amazon Prime video - the problem is with amazon since they are google are fighting like little kids not providing each other the necessary certificate for DRM (Digital Rights Management) required to playback without any piracy. So Amazon is not playing back in Dolby digital or even UHD only few android certified device such as Nvidia shield and few other devices can play full HD and UHD with surround sound (be it DD,DD+,DTS, Atmos). so its not airtel's fault. you can see the title for HD 5.1 or HDR 5.1 before playback.

Regarding Netflix - i am sure netflix will play full HD (HDR if your TV supports) along with DD/DD+/atmos (if your device supports) maybe check your output setting for Xstream box and set it auto so your AVR can decode whatever the app outputs. you can check that compatibility by going to netflix and search for "test patterns" play the video and you can see the diagnostics on screen top right.

As for as Atmos is concerned your AVR supports Atmos? and if it does not all content is on atmos. Only netflix originals(movies/tv shows) have atmos. then you have to pay for atmos access (some license fee).

His 5.1 system has to support DD+ for that...If it's an old box, it may not have support for DD+...

@Velu61, if your home theater supports Dolby Digital Plus (DD+), select that on the Xstream box...If your 5.1 system supports upto DD/DTS, you can select Dolby Digital because in that case, even if you select DD+, you won't get that out of your 5.1 system if your system doesn't support DD+...

Hi sushruta
if i may correct you on this... any HT Dolby Digital will support Dolby Digital Plus but will not play the extra side channels (LS/RS) but will still play LC/RC/RLS/RRS/CFC and LFE(low frequency generally called sub woofer).

EDIT: Firstly does your AVR support atmos? and have you connected to AVR via HDMI or Optical/CO-ax?
optical and Co-ax can only transfer upto 7.1 channel or upto 1.5mbps of bandwidth. only HDMI can passthrough DTS-MA/TrueHD-Atmos because of higher bandwidth availability.

Last edited:
I recently bought Xstream box. When I connected it to my Yamaha receiver through SPDIF there was no 5.1, even from HD channels. My receiver shows up if it gets 5.1. there was only stereo. Then I went to Android settings of the box, device settings, sounds and deselected automatic and selected manual and opted all formats one by one. Then it started working with all. Channels and Prime video. I don't have Netflix. So I cannot tell. I believe it will work with Netflix too. 10 days ago the box updated by itself and no surround sound again. Then I repeated the process. The surround sound works perfect. My setup is Yamaha amplifier and JBL 5.1 speakers. The amplifier is connected to the Xstream am box through SPDIF

I recently bought Xstream box. When I connected it to my Yamaha receiver through SPDIF there was no 5.1, even from HD channels. My receiver shows up if it gets 5.1. there was only stereo. Then I went to Android settings of the box, device settings, sounds and deselected automatic and selected manual and opted all formats one by one. Then it started working with all. Channels and Prime video. I don't have Netflix. So I cannot tell. I believe it will work with Netflix too. 10 days ago the box updated by itself and no surround sound again. Then I repeated the process. The surround sound works perfect. My setup is Yamaha amplifier and JBL 5.1 speakers. The amplifier is connected to the Xstream am box through SPDIF
Even you got AMAZON PRIME in Dolby( 5.1 surround sound )
or only HD channels ?

regarding amazon Prime video - the problem is with amazon since they are google are fighting like little kids not providing each other the necessary certificate for DRM (Digital Rights Management) required to playback without any piracy. So Amazon is not playing back in Dolby digital or even UHD only few android certified device such as Nvidia shield and few other devices can play full HD and UHD with surround sound (be it DD,DD+,DTS, Atmos). so its not airtel's fault. you can see the title for HD 5.1 or HDR 5.1 before playback.
The thing is, Dolby works fine on the Airtel Internet TV for Amazon prime app. The issue is only with the Xstream Box, which is kind of strange, given the fact that this is second generation STB. Moreover, Amazon and Google have recently resolved their conflicts making their respective tech available to each other (Chromecast on Amazon prime apps, YouTube on Fire Stick). I agree that it's an Amazon app issue, but it's an issue that should have been fixed by now.
While watching any 5.1 content On Amazon prime, go to your center speaker and listen to see if it's producing any sound.

My xstream box is connected to my ht sony ht rt3 via optical cable...whenever i select manual sound preference in android settings with all the options clicked on my ht shows LPCM and i dont get dolby....amazon happens to play in all the 4.1 speaker in stereo effect...but when selected as auto preference the channels and netflix plays in dolby,ht shows dolby and amazon plays in 2.1 stereo rather than the previous 4.1 in lpcm mode.....Have amazon and Xstream box taken an oath of not providing dolby to the customers??😶

The thing is, Dolby works fine on the Airtel Internet TV for Amazon prime app. The issue is only with the Xstream Box, which is kind of strange, given the fact that this is second generation STB. Moreover, Amazon and Google have recently resolved their conflicts making their respective tech available to each other (Chromecast on Amazon prime apps, YouTube on Fire Stick). I agree that it's an Amazon app issue, but it's an issue that should have been fixed by now.

While watching any 5.1 content On Amazon prime, go to your center speaker and listen to see if it's producing any sound.

does it work with internet TV box? i dont know about it never used it, does it run on android 9?. my TV is also certified android tv and no UHD or dolby support in the prime app maybe its android 9 issue? no wait shield TV is also android 9 and amazon prime plays in UHD/DD+ so its stock android devices that are having this issue? Maybe Shield tv has some custom ROM?

My xstream box is connected to my ht sony ht rt3 via optical cable...whenever i select manual sound preference in android settings with all the options clicked on my ht shows LPCM and i dont get dolby....amazon happens to play in all the 4.1 speaker in stereo effect...but when selected as auto preference the channels and netflix plays in dolby,ht shows dolby and amazon plays in 2.1 stereo rather than the previous 4.1 in lpcm mode.....Have amazon and Xstream box taken an oath of not providing dolby to the customers??😶

as said above, i think its issue with all android 9 devices.... just to be sure what content did you play? LPCM will be upmixed and your HT will try encode to dolby pro logic(which is patented upmix technology of dolby as it doesnt recognise it.

does it work with internet TV box? i dont know about it never used it, does it run on android 9?. my TV is also certified android tv and no UHD or dolby support in the prime app maybe its android 9 issue? no wait shield TV is also android 9 and amazon prime plays in UHD/DD+ so its stock android devices that are having this issue? Maybe Shield tv has some custom ROM?
I think Internet TV box runs on Oreo. So yes, it could be an Android 9 issue. Shield TV also has the same issue, I have seen several threads on Shield TV forum, just search Amazon prime Dolby audio issue on Nvidia Shield TV, you will get so many threads. Fire TV stick obviously runs Amazon's custom Android, so obviously they would have made sure their own app and Netflix works absolutely fine!

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock