Average cost of Leasing a transponder by DTH companies

sagar.patnaik

Contributor
Reaction score
I just read in an article that the average cost to lease a single transponder in southeast Asia in 2011 was $1 million per year. Lets do some maths $1 million - Rs 6 crore assuming Rs 60/dollar. So per month cost - Rs 50 lakhs 1 TP supports 50 SD channels so per channel bandwidth cost - Rs 1 lakh/month. Per HD channel lets say 4 SD = 1 HD so Rs 4 lakh/month.

Do you think cable operators are at a benefit coz they save on tp cost or do you think cable operators also spend huge amount on building and maintaining infrastructure ??

pls share your views

sagar.patnaik said:
I just read in an article that the average cost to lease a single transponder in southeast Asia in 2011 was $1 million per year. Lets do some maths $1 million - Rs 6 crore assuming Rs 60/dollar. So per month cost - Rs 50 lakhs 1 TP supports 50 SD channels so per channel bandwidth cost - Rs 1 lakh/month. Per HD channel lets say 4 SD = 1 HD so Rs 4 lakh/month.

Do you think cable operators are at a benefit coz they save on tp cost or do you think cable operators also spend huge amount on building and maintaining infrastructure ??

pls share your views
In dth whole money which comes as subscription goes into one pool i.e. to the DTH operator's account. There is no sharing of that money. But in case of digital cable subscription money has two or more share for example MSO(the big player) and the local cable operator. So cable operators arenot getting any benifit here.

But still cable packs are cheaper because tax is more on DTH than digital cable.

Sarkar said:
In dth whole money which comes as subscription goes into one pool i.e. to the DTH operator's account. There is no sharing of that money. But in case of digital cable subscription money has two or more share for example MSO(the big player) and the local cable operator. So cable operators arenot getting any benifit here.

But still cable packs are cheaper because tax is more on DTH than digital cable.

Even the uploading and downloading of DTH data should incur additional cost for the DTH which could make DTH costly.

But yes, if the tax is relaxed for DTH till digitalization is achieved then DTH would emerge as the winner with a higher and a quicker digitalization success.

MSO's get Rs 15-20 lakhs as carriage fee but DTH companies get around 10 lakhs for some specific channels.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock