Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
What in the god's name is written here?
qBWRI99.jpg

A horrible grammatical error from a global news broadcaster.

Last edited:
What nonsense, @DJ Roy bro? They clearly mean the COVID-19 cases in the US. They are not trying to tell us that the virus is American or anything.
I am illiterate. Please explain the sentence "Surge in US virus cases" to me.

If you think I am wrong. You can cross-check with your grammar teacher.

Last edited:
Please explain the sentence "Surge in US virus cases". If you think I am wrong. Screenshot it sent it to US embassy or your grammar teacher.
You are thinking too much over it. The meaning of title can be understood clearly with the sub headings mentioned below. Title could have been 'surge of virus cases in US' but still it's not a big deal.

You are thinking too much over it. The meaning of title can be understood clearly with the sub headings mentioned below. Title could have been 'surge of virus cases in US' but still it's not a big deal.
It's a big deal because it's coming from a global news broadcasters. Not some local regional news broadcaster.

Maybe some diff in how british or american english is written. Not a major issue. Had it been written like in inverted commas ( "US Virus") then it would have reflected a wrong intention or meaning

Okay, intolerant representative of BBC. Today they put "US" on top. Then put the rest of the sentence at bottom. Not in between. Don't be a sheep. Big broadcasters can make mistakes too.

Last edited:
What in the god's name is written here?
A horrible grammatical error from a global news broadcaster.

It looks fine to me. Far from a grammatical error, this is the typical format of news headlines in English. Its meaning can be extrapolated and interpreted easily with context.
  • First, the meaning of the term virus cases can be further expanded into cases of the virus.
  • Second, the addition of the geographical descriptor US, as in US virus cases, can be fully expanded into cases of the virus in the United States.
In a news headline, we want to reduce this statement into a short and concise form. Hence, US virus cases is appropriate here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock