Reaction score
MUMBAI: This autumn the BBC
World Service will broadcast
specially commissioned programmes exploring how the
First World War changed the
subcontinent.

India made an unparalleled
contribution to the British War effort.

There will be two one-hour radio documentaries, and a debate open to the public focussed on India and Imperialism recorded in Delhi.

The season will explore the experiences and stories of those involved in WW1, many of which have remained largely untold in India today.

Steve Titherington, Senior Commissioning Editor, BBC World Service says: "The war that
changed the world touched every country.

Over a million men from the dub continent fought with the British and others.

Hundreds of thousands were killed or wounded or captured. We will examine their stories, and just as importantly debate what the effect was on the struggle for independence and the life
of the region still.

We have debated the war in
St Petersburg, Istanbul, Germany and London.

Delhi is next and it's vital to our understanding of the legacy of this global conflict."

In a special debate from Delhi, the BBC's Razia Iqbal will be joined by historians Prof Mridula Muckherjee and Dr Srinath Raghavan and a public audience to explore the impact of the
First World War on Imperialism. Shashi Tharoor will also discuss Imperialism and independence in a specially commissioned essay performed at the event at the India
International Centre, in partnership with the British Council.

The War That Changed The World: India and Imperialism

http://www.indiantelevision.com/television/tv-channels/news-broadcasting/bbc-world-service-to-showcase-series-on-world-war-i-141020

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock