Discussion Big Mistake moving to Airtel Xtream from Tata Play

• Thread starter Poplu
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 46
  • Views: Views 15,375

Poplu

Reaction score
I have recently moved to Airtel Xtream (Android 10) from Tata Sky HD.
I have been a loyal old customer of Tata Play. I was running 2 tvs (1 HD box And 1 Binge+ STB). But since I got a good offer from Airtel for Fiber+DTH , I moved from one Tata Sky HD STB to Airtel Xtream and also changed by Fiber connection (earlier using local Lucknow vendor, which was quite good).

While Airtel Fiber is quite good and I am enjoying it. But for Airtel DTH, I can't say the same. After 1.5 months of usage, following is my review:

Pros:
1. Boot time faster than Tata Play Binge+ STB
2. Navigation is faster
3. SD channels quality is better

Cons:
1. HD channels quality is not upto the mark. Tata Sky is really best at it.
2. As soon as clouds are in the sky, connection is lost. I thought only Tata Play had issues, but Airtel is worse at it.
3. MTV Beats HD and +1 feed of Star Plus & Zee Tv are missing
4. Xtreme Box is buggy. Switching between Live tv and apps causes it to crash. Sometimes, sound is lost, sometimes hangs.
5. Airtel Xtreme app subscription is missing Zee5 and Voot select

I will add to above list as I use more. But one thing is for sure, I will move back to Tata Play box as I have recovered my advance money ;)

Last edited:
As far as i have noticed
- HD and SD channels picture as well as audio quality is lot better on airtel digital tv than Tata Play
- Signal issues r minimal in airtel digital tv. I receive signal even weather is extremely cloudy or there is heavy rain. Register a service request with airtel digital tv and ask technician to align ur dish properly as well as adjust the LNB skew properly, this will resolve ur signal problem
- Few HD channels missing on airtel digital tv and these alongwith others will be added shortly. Already discussed the reason for the delay in addition / unavailability. Channels like And Xplor HD, Investigation Discovery HD and many prominent / FTA SD channels missing on Tata Play too
- Airtel XStream hardly has any issue, sometimes it may restart while switching channels or switching between app and tv mode but that is common for even many high end devices.Sometimes RAM may not be able to take all the load of apps , tv running in background/ foreground simultaneously hence many crash and box will reboot. It is also important that customer uses the box properly rather than acting too fast, also overall maintenance should be good which will result in less issues cropping up. I have been using XStream for almost 2 years and not faced any major issue, infact to be really honest apart from box rebooting sometimes that too rarely (once in maybe 10 or 15 days or sometimes even longer) i have not faced any issue at all. Tata Play Binge box has frequent issue of rebooting is what i have read in reviews posted by members in this forum
- Zee5 is surely missing on Airtel XStream app but many other good apps r part of it. Zee5 might b added in near future. Even Tata Play Binge does not have few apps

I have recently moved to Airtel Xtream (Android 10) from Tata Sky HD.
I have been a loyal old customer of Tata Play. I was running 2 tvs (1 HD box And 1 Binge+ STB). But since I got a good offer from Airtel for Fiber+DTH , I moved from one Tata Sky HD STB to Airtel Xtream and also changed by Fiber connection (earlier using local Lucknow vendor, which was quite good).

While Airtel Fiber is quite good and I am enjoying it. But for Airtel DTH, I can't say the same. After 1.5 months of usage, following is my review:

Pros:
1. Boot time faster than Tata Play Binge+ STB
2. Navigation is faster
3. SD channels quality is better

Cons:
1. HD channels quality is not upto the mark. Tata Sky is really best at it.
2. As soon as clouds are in the sky, connection is lost. I thought only Tata Play had issues, but Airtel is worse at it.
3. MTV Beats HD, Aaj Tak HD are missing
4. Xtreme Box is buggy. Switching between Live tv and apps causes it to crash. Sometimes, sound is lost, sometimes hangs.
5. Airtel Xtreme app subscription is missing Zee5 and Voot select

I will add to above list as I use more. But one thing is for sure, I will move back to Tata Play box as I have recovered my advance money ;)
Aaj Tak HD missing? Tune in to 314.

Aaj Tak HD missing? Tune in to 314.
I was receiving it earlier. But somehow its missing now.
Screenshot below:

3fEuiQg.jpg

As far as i have noticed
- HD and SD channels picture as well as audio quality is lot better on airtel digital tv than Tata Play
- Signal issues r minimal in airtel digital tv. I receive signal even weather is extremely cloudy or there is heavy rain. Register a service request with airtel digital tv and ask technician to align ur dish properly as well as adjust the LNB skew properly, this will resolve ur signal problem
- Few HD channels missing on airtel digital tv and these alongwith others will be added shortly. Already discussed the reason for the delay in addition / unavailability. Channels like And Xplor HD, Investigation Discovery HD and many prominent / FTA SD channels missing on Tata Play too
- Airtel XStream hardly has any issue, sometimes it may restart while switching channels or switching between app and tv mode but that is common for even many high end devices.Sometimes RAM may not be able to take all the load of apps , tv running in background/ foreground simultaneously hence many crash and box will reboot. It is also important that customer uses the box properly rather than acting too fast, also overall maintenance should be good which will result in less issues cropping up. I have been using XStream for almost 2 years and not faced any major issue, infact to be really honest apart from box rebooting sometimes that too rarely (once in maybe 10 or 15 days or sometimes even longer) i have not faced any issue at all. Tata Play Binge box has frequent issue of rebooting is what i have read in reviews posted by members in this forum
- Zee5 is surely missing on Airtel XStream app but many other good apps r part of it. Zee5 might b added in near future. Even Tata Play Binge does not have few apps
1. May be you are using different box. I am using Xtreme latest box with Sony Tv. As soon as i changed box, i had to change my tv settings, so that colours are upto the mark and could be close to the quality what Tata Sky offered . Then too I miss Tata Play quality.
2. For signal outage - when airtel guy installed, he said i am receiving best signal here. Then too, as soon as weather is cloudy, there is outage. With Tata Play, its somehow better.

Thanks brother. Got it after rescan.
But strange thing, it shouldn't go missing like that
Software bug. Until a proper OTA update is pushed to resolve it permanently, it is expected to happen intermittently.
I was a TP user for more than five years and used Binge+ for 1.5 years. That box has issues too. As @Siva bro mentioned in one of his posts in the past, these boxes aren't expected to provide optimized performance.

In my experience adtv hd and sd channels picture quality better than tataplay. Airtel is the best of audio quality compared to tataplay. I am used both tataplayhd and binge box.

Software bug. Until a proper OTA update is pushed to resolve it permanently, it is expected to happen intermittently.
I was a TP user for more than five years and used Binge+ for 1.5 years. That box has issues too. As @Siva bro mentioned in one of his posts in the past, these boxes aren't expected to provide optimized performance.
I agree with that.
But somehow faced lesser issues with Tata Sky in span of 8 years. Even, my father who is not that much tech savvy, noticed issues with Airtel quality and wants Tata Play back 😁

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock