Seeking Help Black Bars/Aspect Ratio/Full Screen on TV

Endgame

Contributor
Reaction score
Friends, till 2015 my thought on HDTV was that they provide full-screen movies/music videos. After having upgraded myself from Sony CRT (4:3) to directly Sony 4K (16:9), realized I was in fool's world!
Except Hollywood movies (almost all), none (almost) of Indian movies are on full-screen!
But even Hollywood movie DVD's/Bluray discs are 2.35:1. To utilize the full screen/avoid black bars, need to zoom. But that results missing some of the videos.
Is there any way to get full screen videos (any special set-up)?

Friends, till 2015 my thought on HDTV was that they provide full-screen movies/music videos. After having upgraded myself from Sony CRT (4:3) to directly Sony 4K (16:9), realized I was in fool's world!
Except Hollywood movies (almost all), none (almost) of Indian movies are on full-screen!
But even Hollywood movie DVD's/Bluray discs are 2.35:1. To utilize the full screen/avoid black bars, need to zoom. But that results missing some of the videos.
The reason that you end up seeing black bars on some TVs and movie content is that many films were, and are, made in wider aspect ratios than 16x9.
For example original HDTV programming is made in the 16x9 (1.78) aspect ratio, which fits the dimensions of today's Lcd(Led/Lcd), Plasma, and OledHDTVs and 4K Ultra HD TVs. However, many theatrically-produced films are made in either the 1.85 or 2.35 aspect ratio, which is even wider than the 16x9 (1.78) aspect ratios of HD/4K Ultra HDTVs. Thus, when viewing these films on an HDTV or 4K Ultra HD TV (if presented in their original theatrical aspect ratio) - you will see black bars on your 16x9 TV screen

Last edited:

I believe almost all Indian movies are made purely for theatrical release (theater screens are wider and shorter in height) so they focused only on filling the theater screen and when delivering the movies to channels they simply deliver them in the same format so HDTV or 4K TV having its own aspect ratio simply fills black color where it has nothing to fill. Any attempt either by tv or

But Hollywood movie producers also care about the digital media sales so they focus both on theater screen ration and HDTV & 4K TV ratio so deliver the suitable format to television channels so they simply fill on current TV sets.

Not only the top black bars, classic Hollywood movies when played on HDTV would show blackbars on left and right side instead of top and bottom as they were made before HDTV came into use.

Last edited:
What about Hollywood movies? Believe they were produced (mostly) in 1.85 or 2.35 ratio, but shown on TV at 1.78 (full screen) without chopping.
For example: I've the copy of 'Doctor Strange'. Few scenes are in 1.78, rest in 2.35. But the same movie in Star Movies HD is 1.78 throughout. So, SM is using some kind of converter (2.35 to 1.78)?

What about Hollywood movies? Believe they were produced (mostly) in 1.85 or 2.35 ratio, but shown on TV at 1.78 (full screen) without chopping.
For example: I've the copy of 'Doctor Strange'. Few scenes are in 1.78, rest in 2.35. But the same movie in Star Movies HD is 1.78 throughout. So, SM is using some kind of converter (2.35 to 1.78)?

Probably SM bought a HD copy from the producers exclusively for HDTV display so they might fit the screen. And about IMAX Screening of Avengers, it was probably shot for IMAX screening so when played on regular screen the regular screen simply trims it as per its aspect ratio so missing some parts which otherwise available on IMAX.

What about 3 Hindi HD music channels? Don't think they chop anything while showing full-screen. What technique they use?

Big difference
Avengers Infinity War Trailer
Standard (Youtube in theater mode)
9QZEbUS.png

IMAX version (Youtube in theater mode)
UFE4P3Y.png

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock