Broadcasters can’t ask DTH ops for minimum subscription period: TDSAT

Reaction score
Broadcasters can’t ask DTH ops for minimum subscription period: TDSAT

MUMBAI: Forming part of a judgement that has directed the broadcaster not to ask a direct-to-home (DTH) service provider for a minimum subscription period of three months, the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) has urged the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) to relook at Reference Interconnect Offers (RIOs). In a significant judgement, the TDSAT has directed ESPN Software India (now Star Sports India) to modify two clauses in its Reference Interconnect Offer (RIO) agreement with DTH operator Dish TV and to enter into a fresh agreement based on the modified RIO within a period of two weeks.

The tribunal has pointed out that a broadcaster cannot ask a DTH service provider to prescribe a minimum subscription period of three months. A DTH operator, however, may prescribe a maximum of three months as the minimum period of subscription to its subscribers subscribing to a la carte channels. The TDSAT has, thus, directed ESPN Software to modify clause 5.6. The tribunal has also asked the sportscaster to modify clause 8.2 to make the reporting requirement in conformity with the RIO published by Dish TV on its website.

Dish TV had moved TDSAT to direct ESPN Software to make the necessary amendments in its RIO including clause 5.6 and 8.2 in order to bring it in compliance with the applicable Interconnect Regulations and the Tariff Order.

While clause 5.6 of the RIO provided that the DTH operator will have to sell the services to its subscribers for a minimum period of three months, clause 8.2 specifies reporting requirements with regard to its subscribers as per which some confidential details are asked in the guise of determining the subscriber base.

Dish TV had challenged the two clauses in the tribunal arguing that they were not in conformity with the applicable Interconnect Regulations and the Tariff Order.

The tribunal also held that the number of subscribers of the respondent’s channel that is shown as part of India Cricket Pack (ICP) will be calculated on a calendar month basis as all the subscribers subscribing to such bouquets which contain the ICP for all such months or part thereof during which the channel is activated. On clause 8.2, the tribunal said that reporting requirements, as specified in clause 8.2, cannot be different from RIO published on its website.

In what can have deeper repercussions, the tribunal urged the TRAI to have a relook at all such RIOs (which may not be very large in numbers) and if required, set up a task force for the purpose so that the same may be done in a time bound manner.

Read Full Here

Reactions: Omi
As i expected dishtv and Star Sports going to ink a new deal, expecting most awaited Star Sports 2 and Star Sports HD channels in dishtv in May or June. I hope this time Star don't cries and provide there channels atleast under ICP for dishtv users.

Expecting something good for dishtv. If dishtv adds Star Sports HD channels then they would be first choice for HD customers

Never be under impression that dish TV going to no1 spot after addition of star HD.

It will be useful only for outside India customers

NEPTUNE said:
Expecting something good for dishtv. If dishtv adds Star Sports HD channels then they would be first choice for HD customers

This will happen only if Star Sports finishes the deal without crying on ICP policy of dishtv.

But i have still one confusion that

from last 6 months tata sky adding many zee channels but dish tv not adding star sports i their platform

Rushil.D said:
But i have still one confusion that

from last 6 months tata sky adding many zee channels but dish tv not adding star sports i their platform

Because Zee allows their channels in TATA(SKY but Star Sports don't, they want dishtv to provide Star Sports ala carte in 90 days lockout it means they are forcing dishtv to provide their channels for minimal of 90 days, also Star Sports keep crying on ICP policy and they keep claiming that dishtv miss using their RIO terms.

ok , then now that Dishtv Vs SS is going to end ( i think )

so what about Dishtv Vs indiacast

and if dishtv is able short out these 2 , and update their crappy Hardware , no doubt they will actually deserve the no 1 tag they have right now , i guess :eek:hya

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock