Breaking Broadcasters withdraw NTO 2.0 case

i remember when pricing power was in the hands of DTH players/MSOs , broadcasters use to crib that subscribers are being under reported. Now government gave them the chance to price the channels, they are not satisfied with Ad revenue and exact subscribers being report. They want more money. High price of channels leads to less subscribers which leads to low TRP and low ad revenue.

The implementation of TRAI 2.0 on June 1 will happen or Not? Any chance to postponed again. Can anyone research and tell that clearly....

i remember when pricing power was in the hands of DTH players/MSOs , broadcasters use to crib that subscribers are being under reported. Now government gave them the chance to price the channels, they are not satisfied with Ad revenue and exact subscribers being report. They want more money. High price of channels leads to less subscribers which leads to low TRP and low ad revenue.

Pricing power was always in hands of broadcasters be it in analogue or digital era (pre NTO) and remains so even now. In analogue era there used to always this argument raised by broadcasters that cable operators r underreporting subscribers and which had merit. With CAS being implemented gradually across the country this issue was addressed. Pre NTO broadcasters used to enter advance long term agreements with diff broadcasters by giving them all channels and getting a fixed amount in advance for that period. Here many cable operators arugued that broadcasters r not charging equal amount for same chs from diff operators and certain big operators r getting huge discounts. Operators at that point were then free to price chs for subscribers as per their liking.

Broadcasters were getting massive reach for chs and good amount of money in advance in Pre NTO era and so even ad revenue was good. But as subscribers we were being pushed with unnecessary chs and less option to choose as operators priced bouquet/packs quite less and a-la-carte chs costed huge money. TRAI addressed this and many other concerns in NTO but operators / broadcasters favoured old system.

Broadcasters r still free to charge as per previous prices and even operators can continue giving certain discounts, now all operators / subscribers getting channels at same price . In NTO 2.0 TRAI has further tried to resolve issue of standalone chs still costing much more than what they cost in bouquet and again broadcasters resisting this move as they fear people will take less chs thru a-la-carte route hence want people to continue opting for bouquet. All in all as i have said broadcasters still do not have complete confidence in content across their chs hence in NTO 1.0 all broadcasters have made opting for chs thru bouquet cost much less as compared to what popular chs cost on standalone basis.

I just hope that TRAI stands by current regulations under NTO 2.0 which favour all stakeholders. Consumers should have option to pay for select chs at correct price thru a-la-carte route rather than pushed to take bouquet. Broadcasters must understand that if they have good content and price channels at affordable rates then viewers will opt for it thus resulting in good ad revenue.

Anything Is Possible Bro!

Broadcasters Got Upper Hand Now

If this happens then what will b the benefit of bringing NTO. It will similar to what we got in earlier pre 2020 era. If this is allowed then better to revert back to old system .

I think TRAI will not let this happen though they will accomodate certain valid demads of broadcasters

What happens to the launch of the new Disney-Star channels now? Is that going to be postponed even further? This is actually what I am most concerned about!
Super Hungama releasing on 1st March 2022. Promo aired on Marvel HQ but I couldn't get an SC

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock