Cable mafia rules in Bengaluru south, cuts off DTH service providers

Sarkar

Contributor
Reaction score
BENGALURU: Residents of J.P. Nagar 9th Phase, Doddakallasandra are a worried lot after they were allegedly denied Direct To Home (DTH) connection into their houses following an alleged threat by local cable operator mafia ruling the roost.

A 27-year-old techie filed a police complaint on April 26, and Police Commissioner M.N. Reddi, who took immediate note of the complaint, has asked DCP, Command Centre, M.G. Nagendra Kumar, to submit a report.

The alleged harassment at the hands of local mafia began around two weeks ago after several visits and innumerable calls made to different DTH service providers for a connection at his in-laws’ house proved futile for Mr Kumar, a resident of Marathalli. When he approached the service providers, they told him that their representatives cannot install the DTH at his in-laws’ house in Doddakallasandra because of a threat from local cable operators, he stated in the complaint.

Mr Kumar told Deccan Chronicle, “My father-in-law and mother-in-law shifted to the area recently. After we bought an LCD TV from a leading store near Puttenahalli Lake, the manager told me that we would have a problem getting a DTH connection as most of the service providers will not enter that area.”

Surprised by the manager’s reply, Mr Kumar called the service providers in and around Doddakallasandra. “Over the last one week, I have called over 25 individual service providers, but soon after they ask for the PIN code, which is 560062, to know the jurisdiction, they cancel the request, saying they cannot enter the area or make business as they have been receiving threats from local cable operators.”

When DC contacted Mr Nagendra Kumar, he said, “We are investigating the complaint. The police suspect that business rivalry is the prime reason behind the alleged threats to service providers. A team of police officers is collecting information and verifying with other residents. It is a big mafia running in the city. We will soon submit a report to the commissioner.”

Cable mafia rules in Bengaluru south, cuts off DTH service providers

When the entertainment world is moving at a jet speed with 4K, 3D and movies on demand......this article makes us feel that we are going back some 200 years back.....we feel very sorry for these people who are denied the rights to have dth service in this so called modern democratic country...:wall:':)angry

Cable operators insist DTH is not an option

DTH technicians avoid some localities in the city, including Doddakallasandra and JP Nagar, fearing attacks

Mahesh Kumar, a software engineer residing in an apartment in Doddakallasandra, had not imagined that installing a DTH service at home would be a tough task. But local cable operators threatened the DTH technicians who turned up at his house for installation and chased them away. Mr. Kumar contacted several DTH operators but no one was willing to come fearing the local cable operators. After struggling for over three weeks, he managed to get the service last Sunday.

“I did not want a cable connection since the quality is poor and was adamant about having a DTH service,” Mr. Kumar said. Eventually, he convinced one DTH operator but had to smuggle the technician in his car in the middle of the night, concealing the dish antenna in the boot. “I got this idea from one of my neighbours who had done the same thing,” he said. He even fixed the antenna in such a way that it is not easily visible to the cable operator.

This is not an isolated case. Instances of DTH operators refusing services in JP Nagar and Doddakallasandra, fearing attacks by local cable operators, have been reported before. Though many people prefer DTH, service providers are not coming forward for installation fearing attacks by cable operators, another resident said.

Taking strong objections to this nuisance, Mr. Kumar tweeted his complaint to Police Commissioner M.N. Reddi, who immediately directed the jurisdictional police to look into the matter and initiate necessary action.

The South Division police, who are probing this issue, termed this as business rivalry. “We are probing this matter and a detailed report would be submitted to the commissioner for further action,” a senior police officer said.

Cable operators insist DTH is not an option - The Hindu

RE: Cable operators insist DTH is not an option

when this social evils leave us.'''!!

Cable operators insist DTH is not an option

@ Sarkar bro, check below thread,
I think both are same,

http://dreamdth.com/showthread.php?tid=111698

RE: Cable operators insist DTH is not an option

Gssran said:
@ Sarkar bro, check below thread,
I think both are same,

Oops definitely same :shy

Don't know why it is published today in The Hindu. Looks like they are running like Indian Railway

Can u plz merge it with that thread ?

This is one heck of a news. What the hell are they thinking, is there no freedom to choose whet you want?

cant able to believe this things happening in electronic capital..What to say about other cities and villages

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock