Cable operators distort signals using jammers, DTH companies cry foul

Niraj Rathod

Reaction score
Rivalry between cable operators and DTH companies has come to the fore with growing instances of DTH jammers being used in parts of Mumbai and Delhi NCR to distort DTH signals. DTH firms like Tata Sky, Dish TV, Reliance Big TV, Videocon D2H and Airtel Digital TV have detected fresh cases of DTH jammers causing disruption of services in Mumbai.

The DTH Operators Association of India (DOAOI), which represents all DTH companies, has described the use of jammers as a threat to the national spectrum. In a strong worded letter sent to the department of telecommunications (DoT), Mumbai Police, and other security agencies, the DOAOI said, “This illegal activity has serious ramifications for the security communications as this can be used to disturb the RF spectrum.”

The move is being adopted to give a bad name to DTH services, which have almost wiped out cable connections from affluent parts of Mumbai and Delhi, said top executives of two leading direct-to-home (DTH) companies.

“Also with digitisation drive, more consumers are sending queries to DTH companies. Using jammers to block DTH signals selectively in affluent parts of the city is to promote cable usage,” said a senior executive of a leading DTH brand.

Speaking about the problem Harit Nagpal, MD and CEO of Tata Sky and president of DOAOI told FE, “This is a serious problem. We detected a similar instance in Noida some months ago. Police acted and arrested the culprits. Now we see this happening in Mumbai. This is not only illegal, but should raise alarm bells for security agencies too.” Nagpal, who was a speaker in the CASBAA seminar, said the government needs to take stock of the matter as it has become a law and order problem.

DOAOI has cited seven specific instances when DTH jammers caused problems to the DTH signals in Mumbai between February 18 and March 18 this year. These instances happened during the telecast of popular events, including key cricket matches of India with Australia, Sri Lanka and Pakistan, and on the telecast of Filmfare Awards on February 19.

“In Mumbai, we found the jammers in a water tank on a high-rise building. It was causing the DTH signals to freeze. Upon investigation we managed to triangulate the signals and then the police took over and arrested the culprits,” said another senior executive of a DTH firm.

Recently, the DOAOI also found out that a demand for DTH jammer has been placed on a leading online shopping website.

DTH in India operates on Ku-band between 11-15 GHz. The Ku-band frequency range is allocated to be exclusively used by satellite communication systems as it eliminates the problem of interference with other microwave systems. DTH services have gained popularity in India crossing 45 million subscriber base in five years of operation.

Big news...
Its shocking...cable guys, should focus on improving their services instead of disrupting othets...

Sent via Tapatalk

i removed my cable in 2004 when Dish tv was launched , and have never even considered it since. My neighbours have cable and whenevr i go their house i see pathetic picture quality. They will be upgrading to Digital cable soon. Will see what happens then.

@Sobhit, Digital cable is not available everywhere. So they may go for DTH as well.

Well it is available in our locality (Pitampura , delhi) , i have tried convincing them to go for dth and they have tried all 4 tata , airtel , dish and reliance in my home but they are still "santusht" with cable.

Cable has its own advantages bro. Not that dth is bad, its better.
But cable is good too. No satellite or link problem. Cheap, they collect money from doorstep. Complaints addressed immediately...etc

Still, dth rocks coz of clarity n flexibility :)

Sent via Tapatalk

Well , they are old people so i guess Cable may be convenient for them as it has no hassles of recharge,! Well its their choice , i cant live without DTH!

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock