Discussion Can anyone tell me all the pros and cons of all DTH services?

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
For anyone seeking for a new connection. It would be really nice to know. What are the pros and cons? After visiting this forum for last 2 years. Also being a member for a year. I am still yet to know everything about all the DTH brand out there. By now I know Tata Sky has good customer service. I wonder why and how many times you need to contact them to find that out. Also Airtel has several glitches which sometime helps you bypass pay content for free. Does the glitch also stop you getting what you pay for? I have heard negativity about Dish TV and Videocon here. In real life friends have praised the brands. If you are using any DTH services. Please write about it. I know there is a General discussion on all DTH brands thread here. But if I post this there. The post gets buried at bottom because of lack of pinned post feature.

Unlike news sites writing paid reviews. We are members experiencing the services ourselves. Let's make an useful thread that decides fate of our visitors' entertainment source for atleast next five years.

For anyone seeking for a new connection. It would be really nice to know. What are the pros and cons? After visiting this forum for last 2 years. Also being a member for a year. I am still yet to know everything about all the DTH brand out there. By now I know Tata Sky has good customer service. I wonder why and how many times you need to contact them to find that out. Also Airtel has several glitches which sometime helps you bypass pay content for free. Does the glitch also stop you getting what you pay for? I have heard negativity about Dish TV and Videocon here. In real life friends have praised the brands. If you are using any DTH services. Please write about it. I know there is a General discussion on all DTH brands thread here. But if I post this there. The post gets buried at bottom because of lack of pinned post feature.

Unlike news sites writing paid reviews. We are members experiencing the services ourselves. Let's make an useful thread that decides fate of our visitors' entertainment source for atleast next five years.
Go with Tata Sky as Quality and Customer care wise best on my opinion but cost will higher when compared to others. Mine is Videocon d2h

Videocn d2h
Pros:
- Decent Video and Audio Quality
Cons:
- Customer care (looks like they are improving now).
- Confusion UI for choosing channels/Packs

Am using D2H for last 1.5 years
Customer care : it is good atleast in TN
Daily pack is not available for individual channels , but daily pack is available for broadcaster packs

Apart from that, free preview of all HD channels (5 to 10 mins daily) available .

Using D2H. Its picture quality is really good, especially SD content compared to others. I have no plans of replacing it with TS. I'm happy with it.

Customer service is great actually. Remote got dead recently after 4 years and they replaced it by sending someone to the home within a day.

You never have to talk to CC for changing plans since you can do it on their website.

Major pros of DTH is that you can select only those stuff which you want unlike in cable where they push packs on you.

The only minor annoyance for me is non-existence of Star English HD pack even though they have all the channels.

Using airtel for almost 5+ years
And I am happily using those Glitch to reduce my burden in my pocket .
Now days I don't have to call CC for any issue , if anything arise I use to mail or tweet them. They can solve my queries .
I don't find any Con of this DTH brand now a days.

my family had Tata Sky (first DTH) in 2007 with 32-inch LG TV. OMG those days.. signal frequently go out, STB hang during firmware update, no refund if recharged wrong ID by mistake, had to call customer service for many reasons, etc.
after few years we switched to Airtel in 2011. (seeing my aunt in Kolkata bought Airtel DTH, so my father also decided to buy Airtel). I don't remember any major issues in that time like we faced in Tata Sky before.
then I left North Bengal in 2014 to study in Kolkata, and then my father switched to Manthan Cable (Cable TV came to our village for the first time, so not only my father, whole village dropped their DTH and switched to Cable because then local cable was giving so much benefits (cheapest price, all popular Hindi, English & Bangla channels, latest movies, and much more..)

Then in Kolkata I told my father that I need a TV, so when he visited in Durga Puja 2016 we purchased Videocon 22-inch FHD TV @10.5K from Great Eastern (24-inch was also available @lower price but those were HD Ready, but I wanted Full-HD) and then next day I went to a dealer of my living area and booked DishTV HD+ connection @2250/-! first month was free, though only few channels, then I called Customer Service to activate Full-On HD. after a month, I changed packages myself from website, since then I didn't had to call customer service much, only twitter if I needed any help. Picture clarity is over-sharpen, audio quality isn't that amazing.

After a year (in October 2017) my father asked me about DTH (as he dropped the Cable line), then I went to my village, but the dealer in our area was FORCING US to buy Videocon D2H saying it got brand value, warrenty, etc. I said F' it and called Airtel Customer care & booked new connection. the next day a guy came with Airtel HD HEVC box & set-up the the connection, @1700 no dealer in our village was offering any DTH, so my father didn't mind my decision). Found that Picture clarity is BETTER than DishHD+, also the UI looks great! Customer Service is so QUICK.
Then in April 2019 we bought a new Samsung 40-inch LED TV and a Philips 2.1 Speaker, then I found out the Audio Quality of Airtel, amazing!! Now after 2 years, I can see the difference b/w Airtel's 2018 PQ & current PQ, huge improvement! Discovery HD looks so good, even SD channels like Sony ESPN, DSport looks better.

last year (May 2019) my father also dropped the SITI Cable (yes that same guy/MSO that brought Manthan cable in our village for the first time, switched his business to SITI digital), of his Medical Clinic, and told the dealer living in the opposite for Airtel SD connection. then in October father upgraded to HD box. In June 2018 my uncle also dropped SITI cable and swiched to Airtel from the same dealer as my father told. (funny fact: the dealer I'm talking about used to teach me in class 3-6, and if some day I wasn't home when he come, he used to watch our TV, yes that LG TV that had Tata Sky connection in 2007. Now he became DTH dealer in mid-2018)

Now my whole family & relatives (5) using AIRTEL DTH, and the HALF of the village has switched to DTH (mostly Airtel) by 2019 (dropping Cable connection) ..so I'm also thinking to change my DishTV connection (of Kolkata) & switch to D2h HD+ RF or Sun DIrect.
Should I? anybody?!

Last edited:
my family had Tata Sky (first DTH) in 2007 with 32-inch LG TV. OMG those days.. signal frequently go out, STB hang during firmware update, no refund if recharged wrong ID by mistake, had to call customer service for many reasons, etc.
after few years we switched to Airtel in 2011. (seeing my aunt in Kolkata bought Airtel DTH, so my father also decided to buy Airtel). I don't remember any major issues in that time like we faced in Tata Sky before.
then I left North Bengal in 2014 to study in Kolkata, and then my father switched to Manthan Cable (Cable TV came to our village for the first time, so not only my father, whole village dropped their DTH and switched to Cable because then local cable was giving so much benefits (cheapest price, all popular Hindi, English & Bangla channels, latest movies, and much more..)

Then in Kolkata I told my father that I need a TV, so when he visited in Durga Puja 2016 we purchased Videocon 22-inch FHD TV @10.5K from Great Eastern (24-inch was also available @lower price but those were HD Ready, but I wanted Full-HD) and then next day I went to a dealer of my living area and booked DishTV HD+ connection @2250/-! first month was free, though only few channels, then I called Customer Service to activate Full-On HD. after a month, I changed packages myself from website, since then I didn't had to call customer service much, only twitter if I needed any help. Picture clarity is over-sharpen, audio quality isn't that amazing.

After a year (in October 2017) my father asked me about DTH (as he dropped the Cable line), then I went to my village, but the dealer in our area was FORCING US to buy Videocon D2H saying it got brand value, warrenty, etc. I said F' it and called Airtel Customer care & booked new connection. the next day a guy came with Airtel HD HEVC box & set-up the the connection, @1700 no dealer in our village was offering any DTH, so my father didn't mind my decision). Found that Picture clarity is BETTER than DishHD+, also the UI looks great! Customer Service is so QUICK.
Then in April 2019 we bought a new Samsung 40-inch LED TV and a Philips 2.1 Speaker, then I found out the Audio Quality of Airtel, amazing!! Now after 2 years, I can see the difference b/w Airtel's 2018 PQ & current PQ, huge improvement! Discovery HD looks so good, even SD channels like Sony ESPN, DSport looks better.

Now I'm thinking to change my DishTV connection (of Kolkata) & switch to D2h HD+ RF!
Should I?
Go for Airtel or Tata Sky. Future doesn't look positive for d2h.

Note : Tata Sky doesn't have free channel 9XO. They have a similar in house service channel Tata Sky Music+ which cost ₹75 a month.

I Used
Hathway Cable - Before DTH - Decent.
Reliance Big TV - 1st DTH Used by Home - Ok
Sun Direct - 2nd DTH for South Channels - Good
again move to Hathway Cable

Then Joined DDF, found Dishtv is best among all in 2016 - Used 2 Years - Overall Satisfied
Now ADTV after TRAI Rule - No Complaints No Demands, (Because My Brother Using from 2014)

I don't want CC for any complaint in any DTH, just accepting everything...

We had tactv first. Then, our LCO changed to Akshaya Diginet. He charged ₹210 + we asked broadcaster bouquet ₹4 = ₹214. I wanted Travel XP tamil ala-carte, but I had to call him for 8 times to get activated, so I got angry. Even lock-in period was 30 days. Also, channel addition/updation was late in our area. There was no provision to pay online.
So, we moved to d2h.
d2h has cheaper packs compared to other DTH.
Customer care is improving now.
The money is being deducted on daily basis, so we can add/drop channels anytime.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock