Discussion Can Sky make a return in the market with their own branded DTH service after separating from Tata Sky?

Impossible. Sky is no longer owned by the Murdochs. It is now owned by Comcast. Had it been owned by the Murdochs, it would've been a possibility. Since both Star and Sky were at their peak in the Murdoch Era.

And besides, Comcast has a bad reputation for its services, especially in the US. The Company Man's Youtube video has a detailed explanation :
Source

So, Sky returning to India is a distant dream now. And the Tatas don't want to ruin their reputation by adding a brand from a notorious entity which has a pathetic record when it comes to serving its customers.

Last edited:
I think even though Tata Sky was a joint venture between Tata Sons and Sky UK brands, the India operations were mostly managed by Tata.

Is there a market for another competitor?
The market is open for more competitors I would say considering we have only a handful number of DTH services in India. But it would be worth watching if the end-users would be wanting to buy a new DTH service in today's time instead of investing in OTT and other mediums.

Whether Sky would be looking into entering into the Indian DTH business or not is a big question. That is unlikely happening I would say.

I think even though Tata Sky was a joint venture between Tata Sons and Sky UK brands, the India operations were mostly managed by Tata.
I doubt Sky were ever involved in Indian Operations. It was always Star India's people who were in board room along with Tata Ones. They might have procured initial tech from them other than that I don't think they had any involvement at all.
But it would be worth watching if the end-users would be wanting to buy a new DTH service in today's time instead of investing in OTT and other mediums.
It is high time for some of the OTT players or DTH players to play more into IPTV based distribution in India which could be a real benefit. I know many of the broadcasters provide the channels on their respective apps. But it may soon run into problems as TRAI is pursuing on the same. So, aggregation and personalised distribution of the programming on IPTV distribution is gonna be a great opportunity, certainly without the need to invest in additional dish antennas and hardware if any people want to have the same.

More IPTV service providers need to officially enter India. For example Star Hub & Singtel in Singapore, Astro in Malaysia and so on. IPTV has no particular carriage costs. An IP address can carry multiple channels within it. When that happens, the audience will no longer have to bear the brunt of the current NCF.

More IPTV service providers need to officially enter India. For example Star Hub & Singtel in Singapore, Astro in Malaysia and so on. IPTV has no particular carriage costs. An IP address can carry multiple channels within it. When that happens, the audience will no longer have to bear the brunt of the current NCF.
Ncf is same for IPtv or Cable or DTH.

Are there any legal impediments for Fox Corporation to operate in India or Asia after the sale of 21 CF to Disney? Can't Fox TV start a channel distribution network or something?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock