Converting 6ft dish to "single track"

knd1983

Reaction score
SIngle track - how we called them - were the dishes who had an angle preset... when the elevation is changed it will go on a track where all satelites are available "without changing the base position/ without rotation of the dish".

I have the solid 6ft prime focus dish and I'm targeting to alter the flat/horizontal base of concrete [for keeping the dish] to have an angle. So that when I change the elevation of the dish it will visit Asiasat - Gast 93.5 - Measat - Insat 4A - Apsar - Intelsat 20 17.... Only task I want to retain is to correct the skew of the LNB...

My dish doesn't have a moving friendly base. Once fixed and tightened by three bolts, then its a big task to unbolt, rotate to new location etc..

Have anyone of you tried this already? Any problems faced that we can avoid by structural fixes? Angle of the platform?

Regards,
Kiran

Working on theory part of it!

Angle of the base or slope of the base required is the first piece of info.
I'm at geographical coordinates of 13'21'', 74'50''.
When my dish is 90 degree elevation, I should tilt my dish such that I get a satellite at 74E.. Lucky enough for my coordinate, There is GSAT 18. A little fine tuning might be needed after that.
Elevation needed for dish to get this satellite normally is 74 degrees. So my platform should have 15-16 degree slope. [tunable by few bolt/nuts].

If any other better ideas/plans, Do let me know!

this used to be done by motors back in the day. But i think the base used to be fixed straight up.

Yes.
Those dishes had fixed base. At that time, I didn't have any idea of satellite positions, I was about 10 years of age. So there were times when we tried to hunt for satellite signals on the North direction :) :) [in northern hemi, dishes look southwards because that's where the equator is : This comment is for someone who doesn't know what I didn't know 20 years back] .
A long bolt-level-nut system to set the angle/inclination required. [it changes between Kanyakumari to Kashmir as he "look angles" change. For me, it is about 15 degrees]. This fixed base dishes cant have this arrangement..

I anyways have 4-5 LNB, may be I should try getting a metal bracket where I keep the LNB fixed as an arch... for each satellite! with required skew. [LNB and dish are not connected by the 3 support rods if I can get this done!

A motor.... A fan motor can do with a regulator? I think it cant because it wont revolve reverse. I have to setup a small pulley-wire system to pull it back to zero :).??????

I found it difficult to find a dish moto so above comment about motor :)

Thanks for reading. Let me know if any ideas better/simpler than I'm thinking...

its called 'Polar Mount" technically, I havent heard the 'Single Track"name, maybe its a usage name.

Altered my dish. Some work pending to have the dish to tilt to west.

Cut the front-left leg, used a 1 inch square GI pipe. Raised that leg sufficient to make an 16 degree tilt.

Rearranged the support structure to support new angle and shifted load.

Could track gsat18-apstar-insat4a-chinasat-st2-measat.. then came the rains...

Source

Last edited:
Altered my dish.
Cut the front-left leg, used a 1 inch square GI pipe. Raised that leg sufficient to make an 16 degree tilt.
Rearranged the support structure to support new angle and shifted load.

Please post more photos bro. let us also see your jugaad way and if possible, try to attempt that method

You can get precise calculations for all the satellites with polar mount at your location at this link.

Hi,
Baby, festival and rains.... no "me" time.
Will try to get it this week. Anything specific you would like me to capture? Or give a detailed text explanation of how did I do it?
Regards.

Please post more photos bro. let us also see your jugaad way and if possible, try to attempt that method

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock