DD Freedish earns Rs 65.5 cr from slot auction, FY17 revenue @ Rs 250 cr

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Public broadcaster Doordarshan’s free direct-to-home (DTH) platform Freedish has mopped up Rs 65.5 crore from the sale of 10 slots on Tuesday. The highest bid was for Rs 7.3 crore.

The latest round of auction has taken the DTH platform’s revenue to Rs 250 crore this fiscal, DD DG Supriya Sahu said.

In the previous e-auction, the pubcaster had raised Rs 129.3 crore from auction of 27 slots including 24 renewals and three new additions.

The highest bid was Rs 5.1 crore and the lowest was 4.3 crore (Rs 43 million), which was then the base price per slot. Freedish had earned an average amount of Rs 4.8 crore (Rs 48 million).

DD had held its 32nd e-auction on Tuesday, in which 18 broadcasters had participated. The reserve price for this round of e-auction was hiked to Rs 4.8 crore.

The 10 channels that won slots include Sony Pal, Rishtey, Manoranjan Movies, MTV Beats, Dhamaal, Mubu, Star Utsav Movies, ETV UP, ETV Rajasthan, and Movie House.

While seven channels have renewed slots, there are three new entrants—Mubu, ETV UP and ETV Rajasthan.

“Today’s auction of DD DTH platform was a revenue churner for us. We collected Rs 65.5 crore in a day from auction of 10 slots. 18 broadcasters had participated. The highest bid went up to 7.3 crore,” Sahu told TelevisionPost.com.

“This takes our revenue to more than Rs 250 crore from DD Freedish this year,” she added.
Earlier, buoyed by the interest from private broadcasters targeting rural hinterland, Doordarshan had hiked the reserve price for slots on Freedish to Rs 4.8 crore from Rs 4.3 crore.

Successful channels will be required to arrange IRD Boxes in advance to place their channel on platform on time. The EMD Drafts will be returned to the unsuccessful bidders within a week or immediately after the e-auction is over.

Channels that have won slots on the platform will have to deposit Rs 1.10 crore (Rs 11 million) within one month from the placement of the channel on Freedish along with Service Tax @ 15 per cent on total bid amount.

The second instalment amounting to Rs 1.10 crore (Rs 11 million) will have to be deposited by the successful channel in the second month from the placement of the channel.

The balance bid amount will have to be deposited on or before six months from the placement of the channel failing which the deposited amount will be forfeited and channel will be discontinued from the platform after a 21-day discontinuation notice.

DD Freedish earns Rs 65.5 cr from slot auction, FY17 revenue @ Rs 250 cr | TelevisionPost.com

money , money & money....
DDFD is in full benefit, Govt and Users both are happy :tup
and other side private DTH increasing their package prices day by day :(

Sourabhs20 said:
private DTH increasing their package prices day by day :(
Excuse me! Private DTH are decreasing their prices. See new Airtel 200 plan had new channels and also DishTV already low price Tata Sky also reduced HD prices. Time to time they have to decrease the price otherwise they had to suffer.

Sourabhs20 said:
money , money & money....
DDFD is in full benefit, Govt and Users both are happy :tup
and other side private DTH increasing their package prices day by day :(

Yep, it's getting very costly. I am waiting for DDFD STB  :sp

Sarkar said:
Yep, it's getting very costly. I am waiting for DDFD STB  :sp
I'm waiting for DDFD HD STB :sp

hike said:
Accuse me! Private DTH are decreasing their prices. See new Airtel 200 plan had new channels and also DishTV already low price Tata Sky also reduced HD prices. Time to time they have to decrease the price otherwise they had to suffer.

Bro its excuse me, please correct it.
Now comes to the matter, Actually these small decreases in the package doesn't matter for a person who is using DDFD.
And yes airtel added many channels in My Plan 200 also giving Infinity offers but you know the reason behind it. Airtel is unable to add new channels thats why they are giving such offers to retain their customers.
Now lets talk about tata sky HD offers. Actually tata sky HD Access fee policy is too costly compare to adtv and dishtv so to attract their customer they are giving such offers some time.
Now dishtv's quality we all know thats why their prices are low, and also dishtv getting the benefit of DDFD's channels.
Otherwise compare the base pack price of TS, Adtv, Dishtv, all are same about 285 per month.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock