DD plans for multiplex transmitters at 630 locations for SDTV, HDTV, and mobile TV

• Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 3
  • Views: Views 1,367

Bapun

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
NEW DELHI: Doordarshan has drawn up a long term plan to have a 'multiplex' of five transmitters each at 630 locations to provide a competitive platform.

Each of these multiplex transmitters will have two for standard television, two for high definition TV, and one for mobile TV services.

Stating this in an action-taken report to the Parliametary Standing Committee on Information and Technology, the information and broadcasting ministry has said it is in discussion with the department of telecom for release of more spectrum.

The I&B Ministry has asked the telecom department to give spectrum for various broadcasting services in the UHF Band V since the frequency band 700 MHz – that is, 698 to 806 MHz – has been earmarked for international mobile telecom services by the World radio Conference 2007.

As part of digitisation of its terrestrial networks, DD is planning to set up 630 digital transmitters which comprise 230 high power and 400 low power transmitters. Projects for establishment of forty digital transmitters (SDTV) and four high definition digital transmitters have already been taken up under the Eleventh Plan.

It is felt that in view of its long-term plans, the total spectrum requirement of DD will be met in Band-IV (470-582 MHz) and eight channels in Band-V (582-646 MHz).

DD also has frequency assignment in 700 MHz band in two carriers: (745 MHz and 795 MHz each with a bandwidth of 20 MHz for mobile video link and Channel 54 (734-742 MHz) for digital terrestrial transmitters (DTT) in the four metro cities.

Furthermore, the Ministry says it is estimated that at least 96 MHz of spectrum will be required for four operators to start mobile TV services.

The Ministry has also pointed out that under NFAP (National Frequency Allocation Plan) 2008, the frequency band 585-806 MHz is predominantly for broadcasting services including mobile TV.

However according to the draft India Remarks for NFAP 2011, it was suggested that the UHF Band V be bifurcated with 585-698 MHz going to digital broadcasting and 698-806 MHz be given for IMT applications.

Following the note by the I&B Ministry not to bifurcate this frequency, a committee has been set up with officials of the department of telecom and I&B Ministry.

When it was revealed that the frequency band 625-675 MHz is being given to the defence ministry, it was pointed out by I&B Ministry that this disturbs the entire band and therefore the defence ministry be asked to relocate its frequency beyond 646 MHz so that the broadcasting spectrum remains contiguous.This matter is now with the Empowered Group of Ministers on vacation of spectrum.

Indiantelevision.com's > Digital Edge> DD plans for multiplex transmitters at 630 locations for SDTV, HDTV, and mobile TV

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock