Difference between 1080i and 1080p

harsh_hk

Reaction score
I need to know the difference between interlaced and progressive scanning in simplified non-technical language. When will the DTH providers provide 1080p resolution ?:huh:huh:huh

CRT monitors supports interlace video whereas LCD/LED/Plasma do not natively support interlace video. So in those tv video is first converted to progressive mode from interlace mode. This may affect PQ. But interlace video requires lesser bandwidth than progressive one so dth companies are still using it.

I dont know about the conversion happening on 1080p sets,but the main differences is how the picture is formed by the television.in 1080i(i stand for interlaced) that means the odd numbered lines of the picture are formed first and then the even numbered lines and in 1080p(progressive) the lines are formed one after the other.Theoretically 1080p can offer double the quality of 1080i in the same number of pixels that is 1920×1080 but due to high bandwidth requirements all operators sty away form progressive distribution of signals and due to production costs so do most producers.

1080p is far, far better than 1080i.
in 1080i, there are certain rows and columns of pixels that makes up to a 1080 rowed image...
But in 1080P, the image is internally processed, and is progressive.
BlueRay discs have an output of 1080p.

Check some links here :
Code:
http://reviews.cnet.com/1080i-vs-1080p-hdtv/
http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisionbasics/qt/1080ivs1080p.htm

No DTH in India provides 1080p support yet, but accoprding to wikipedia, only Airtel stb's have a 1080p support for future :)

Niraj Rathod said:
@is that me
Also reliance has 1080 P support for future :)

Simple explanation, 1080P pictures have 1080 lines running progressively i.e. one after another continuously to display a full HD picture.

1080i has only half the number of lines i.e. 540 lines but alternating so fast (to emulate 1080p) that the display still appears as full 1080p HD picture to the human eye.

If a person watches the TV screen closely (especially when the colour in the screen is dark grey), he can actually see horizontal lines in a 1080i picture because of lines alternating. This cannot be noticed when it is a 1080p picture.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock