Difference between Signal Strength and Signal level?

hindifun

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the difference between signal strength and signal level?
My signal strength is 70, signal level is 59, signal quality 13 and BER is 8.34E-07. Though BER keep on changing.
Do I need realignment of the dish?

signal level is just part of signal strength, nothing else..
BER is just level of signal quality..

Don't get confused.

no alignment required..

@kv close this thread.

Nishal said:
signal level is just part of signal strength, nothing else..
BER is just level of signal quality..

Don't get confused.

no alignment required..

@kv close this thread.

Bro, thanks for explaining something. But why are you asking to close the thread? We are not sure whether thread starter got clarified with your answer. Let him check our reply first.

Even I would like to know about these technical stuffs.. It would be better if someone explains these things in detail.

M.J.Sadiq said:
Bro, thanks for explaining something. But why are you asking to close the thread? We are not sure whether thread starter got clarified with your answer. Let him check our reply first.

Even I would like to know about these technical stuffs.. It would be better if someone explains these things in detail.

U can check about BER( bit error rate) on wiki, it's explained technically in detail..

rest is of no use & just airtel's signal related terms..

that's why I told to close it..

Thank you Nishal and Sadiq.
Everything discussed here or informed here can also be found elsewhere on the net.
Still we come here to find information from the experts on the forum. Every user is not technically expert.

Still if someone can suggest me if my signals are optimum?

hindifun said:
Thank you Nishal and Sadiq.
Everything discussed here or informed here can also be found elsewhere on the net.
Still we come here to find information from the experts on the forum. Every user is not technically expert.

Still if someone can suggest me if my signals are optimum?

I've already told u in my 1st reply that no alignment's required.. it is good.

There are 4 basic terms involved in satellite signals - signal strength, signal level, signal quality, BER

Signal Strength - is the % representation of the Power Level received at the input point of the decoder.

Signal Level - is the numerical value of the Signal Strength. It's usually measured in decibels.

Signal Quality - is the % representation of the Bit Error Rate after decoding, which is based on the signal and noise ratio.

BER - is the numerical value of the signal to noise ratio.

Now in simple terms, signal strength/level is the total amount of signal that you receive.. and signal quality is the actual useful signal received by your box after ignoring the noise and other interference..

So, even if your signal strength is 100% but if you get very low % in quality, you might face outage even during mild drizzles or clouds..

If your signal strength/level is low, then you need to adjust the dish for its elevation and azimuth. If your signal quality is low or if it is fluctuating, then the problem is with the skew and you need to adjust the lnb..

Hope this helps...

mmadhankumar said:
There are 4 basic terms involved in satellite signals - signal strength, signal level, signal quality, BER

Signal Strength - is the % representation of the Power Level received at the input point of the decoder.

Signal Level - is the numerical value of the Signal Strength. It's usually measured in decibels.

Signal Quality - is the % representation of the Bit Error Rate after decoding, which is based on the signal and noise ratio.

BER - is the numerical value of the signal to noise ratio.

Now in simple terms, signal strength/level is the total amount of signal that you receive.. and signal quality is the actual useful signal received by your box after ignoring the noise and other interference..

So, even if your signal strength is 100% but if you get very low % in quality, you might face outage even during mild drizzles or clouds..

If your signal strength/level is low, then you need to adjust the dish for its elevation and azimuth. If your signal quality is low or if it is fluctuating, then the problem is with the skew and you need to adjust the lnb..

Hope this helps...

Awesome info friend

My sun direct signal quality is 55. Whether this can be improved by changing to a branded cable wire. Wat is the signal quality available in airtel and tata sky. I feel sun dth is inferior to others.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock