Votes: 18 19.4%
  • DTH

Votes: 75 80.6%

• Total voters

Digital Mastermind

Tata Play Expert
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys, i have started this thread to compare Digital Cable and DTH.

Broadcasting:

Digital Cable is a mode of broadcasting via Digital Fibre Optic and Coaxial Cables, the distribution starts from the Broadcaster, who uplink Signals to satellite, MSO downlink via large Dishes and rebroadcast them via Digital headend and from there via Cables. Every consumer must have a Set Top Box installed to receive Digital Channels and Services.
There are limitations where Digital Cable can be received, like in some rural villages, there is no cable network present.

DTH also downlinks feed from broadcasters and re uplinks them to their own satellite and each consumer must have a satellite dish installed to receive signals and also a STB is a must here too.
Due to satellite technology, DTH services can be received in any part of the country.

Picture and Sound Quality:

In Digital Cable Picture and Sound quality is very good and superior than that of Analog Cable. As the carrier here is cable and no signal loss is there, and also because of signal boosters/amplifiers installed in different places the signal is good. As Digital Cable enjoys a good bandwidth which it can add many channels without much compression, hence the PQ/AQ is good. Due to increased no of SD and HD channels, some MSO are compressing more channels in a TP, which causes the picture to loose its quality.
Some big MSO like Hathway, DEN provide Dolby Digital Surround Sound. But many small MSOs do not provide this feature and provide stereo sound

In DTH the picture and sound quality is excellent but it depends on the compression techniques used. Some operators have limited TP and as there is competition, they try to compress and put in more channels as a result the PQ/AQ is decreased.
Most of the DTH operators use multiple satellites for broadcasting as a result they have large number of TP, and hence lesser compression is used hence PQ/AQ is better.
In DTH all players provide Dolby Digital on HD channels. Airtel and Tata Sky provide DD/DD+ audio on majority of HD channels.

Set Top Box:

In Digital Cable TV, service operators (MSO) used to provide DVB C MPEG 2 STB's to consumers, but since 2014 MSO like Hathway, In Digital and DEN and others, have started giving MPEG 4 STB. Some MSO have got USB recording STB and PVR STB.

In DTH Dish TV is still on MPEG 2, DVB S, while others like Tata Sky, Airtel and D2H are providing MPEG 4 DVB S2 STB. Almost all DTH have gor recording STB. Tata Sky has got PVR HD STB along with 4K STB, ADTV has android based STB supports 4K, Dish-D2H and Sun Direct have got USB based recording STB

Channel Count:

Digital Cable Operators can provide up to 1000 channels. Say QAM 64 and MPEG 4, and the whole frequency is available to them, each frequency can carry 15 channels in good PQ and AQ and say in QAM 256 MPEG 4 it can carry up to 30 channels. Also HD services by Hathway who provides 80 HD and 350+ SD channels and IN Digital and DEN provide 80 HD channels and 300+ SD channels.

DTH uses satellite transponders to beam its channels, and each transponder can carry say about 30 channels in MPEG 2 and in MPEG 4 it is 60. In HD count Tata Sky provides 90+ HD channels and is currently the best in terms of HD and Channel count. Due to the new compression technology (HEVC) now more channels can be compressed in one TP So number of channels they can carry is 2000 channels. Airtel provides around 80 HD channels, Sun Direct and D2H provides 60+ HD channels and Dish Tv has 75 HD channels. Tata Sky and Airtel provide 500+ SD channels.

Mode of Payment:

In Digital Cable the payment mode is postpaid, means the cable guy comes to collect money, and we can pay on per month bases or annually. After new TRAI rules some MSO have started prepaid system of payment and if payment is not made on time services can be disconnected. Operators like Hathway, IMCL and DEN have come up with prepaid recharge systems, so both postpaid and prepaid are available.

In DTH the consumer have the prepaid mode of payment and they have to do it on time or else the services will get cut. Here also they can recharge for 1 Day/1 Month/3 Months/1 year as and when the subscriber wishes. Several DTH operators allow users to pay via Apps like PayTM, Net banking, CC/DC, Cash to Dealer, etc. Many online payment wallets have tie ups with many DTH operators who provide cashback for recharges this is an added advantage.

Packages and A la carte:

After the new TRAI rules w.e.f 1st Feb 2019, the channel rates of pay channels are same across all platforms. A NCF of Rs 153 (Incl of GST) will be charged for first 100 SD channels while Rs 23 for next subsequent 25 SD channels. 1 HD channel = 2 SD Channels. Broadcaster packs are common across all platforms with same price.

Operators however can also create their own packages to suite different customer needs based on languages and genres.
Some DTH operators like Tata Sky and Airtel are proving FTA channels on complementary basis for which no NCF is being charged, this is however not mandatory to choose by customers.

Channel and Service Additions:

In Digital Cable the new channel additions are based on operator to operator. usually any new channel launched by broadcaster SD and HD is added with in a week. Some operators add it some time later in a month, it all depends on the operator when to add.

In DTH too it depends on operator to operator. here too the channels are added between a week to a month, depending on operator wish. Some DTH operators add it on the same day of launch.

Signal Issues:

In Digital Cable the user gets transmission 24x7 365 days a year irrespective to the weather and atmosphere if the cable lines are properly installed. Sometimes if there is headend work or any technical problems signals get cut temporally and is restored once the work is completed. During power cuts, users can enjoy TV without any problems only if they and their LCO have power backup facility. But if during rains, winds, or any bad weather the cable wire gets cut then time is taken to fix the issues. Also if boosters gets rusted or go bad in some locality due to wear and tear it can impact the signals.

In DTH during heavy rains and heavy storms the Signal gets cut many times and returns after the rains get lesser or weather/atmosphere gets normal the signal restores. Also users can enjoy TV in power cuts too if they have power backup facility. If the Dish is installed properly to get strong signals the signal loss during rains is minimal that is for few mins. Other than this rest of the seasons DTH doesn't face any signal issues.

Local Channels and Interactive Content:

Digital Cable can carry local and regionalized content, and also show live telecast of local events.
Some operators like Hathway, DEN and In cable provide interactive services in some cities.

DTH cannot broadcast local channels as there are many local channels in each and every city, and being a national DTH operator it is not possible. Operators like Tata Sky, Airtel and D2H and Dish TV provide a variety of interactive services. Also Web Apps have been launched by some DTH operators where we can get localized contents on such news apps.

Technical and Service Problems:

In Digital Cable as the common cable carries signal to all and if there is any issue it gets rectified as many people will have the issue like cable cuts. STB problems also are rectified fast if LCO is close by and also if his technicians are close by. If u have a close friendship with LCO then u are a lucky person, as most of ur problems if at all u have will be corrected fast. Also most of the service visits are free. Also channel packages going off due to non payment of dues is common in Digital Cable. Sometimes few channels go missing, however are re added after some time (due to technical or any reason)

In DTH there are issues which people face, like LNB problems, Dish Alignment issue, STB issues. So this can be a individual problems and DTH operators are very fast to fix the issue, but mostly within 24hrs the issue is solved, but user has to pay for the DTH accessory and service visits if not under warranty.

Last edited:
Guys if i have missed out any thing or any corrections are needed pls let me know. Thanks

In my room i am using d2h and in my home using Siti cable.after i upgrade my STB box with HD box I like d2h picture quality and sound quality. So i my vote to dth service

Never have digital cable till now but used in various places. Used analog cable only in back old days.

DTH services are good if we leave bandwidth/satellite capacity issue apart, as it is a never solving issue. Unless content is broadcasted through internet!

Nice post. I want to know all HD Channels available in DEN. Could anyone provide a link please?

Also, one more basic question- is there a monopoly with respect to the provider? Like if one area has DEN, he won't be able to take Hathway even if he wants to? Why so?

Nice post. I want to know all HD Channels available in DEN. Could anyone provide a link please?

Also, one more basic question- is there a monopoly with respect to the provider? Like if one area has DEN, he won't be able to take Hathway even if he wants to? Why so?

In some areas, a single LCO provided multiples signals of more than 1 MSO.

DEN provided almost 50 HD channels in DAS 1 and DAS 2 cities as per their website

What would b e approximate cost of a new HD STB and a monthly Plan with all 50 HD channels for DEN? Is the website cost same as what is provided by LCO or we can expect some discount?

I feel service in dth is better that cable. Pq and aq we should not compare.
I have one tv TS and another tv local cable.
Pq,aq,service,ease - tatasky
At ₹230/- i get all channels in cable. So i dont subscribe to sports channels in dth.
Cost effective and local channels- cable

I feel service in dth is better that cable. Pq and aq we should not compare.
I have one tv TS and another tv local cable.
Pq,aq,service,ease - tatasky
At ₹230/- i get all channels in cable. So i dont subscribe to sports channels in dth.
Cost effective and local channels- cable
@Karthik. bro, I'm also exactly looking for such a deal. For this ₹230 pack, who is the MSO provider, and also is there option for HD Channels, how much extra for that?

@Karthik. bro, I'm also exactly looking for such a deal. For this ₹230 pack, who is the MSO provider, and also is there option for HD Channels, how much extra for that?
I live in visakhapatnam.ACT cable here gives all channels for ₹230/-
Hd channels around 20-25 are available.
No additional cost for HD channels as of now.
We need to take a hd stb.
Sd stb :₹900/- with connection
Hd stb ₹1500/- with connection

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock