Votes: 8 29.6%
  • DTH

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters

Digital Mastermind

Tata Play Expert
Contributor
Reaction score
Recently TRAI released an article stating that in the DTH sector there are some 29.33 million subscribers who are inactive as of June 2014. There are total 67.57 million subscribers as reported by the DTH Operators.

When DTH was launched and when new entries like Dish TV, Tata Sky and Videocon D2H came into the DTH sector during the time of Analogue Cable TV, a huge number of cable tv subscribers shifted from cable to DTH.
As DTH operators provide more clearer picture quality and better sound, more channels, interactive services, EPG, etc. People were tempted to go for these services.

In 2009 many of the cable tv MSO launched Digital Cable TV services, a services that is equal or more advanced as experts say to DTH services. The people who still continued with analoge cable turned digital and soon started to enjoy the same features and quality of that of DTH. like EPG, Clearer Picture, better Sound, more channels all at an affordable price, and plus an added advantage was that Digital cable was not affected by weather conditions, where DTH suffers in Rains. Here people saw the turning point as many DTH customers deactivated their service and returned to Digital Cable.

In 2011 when HD services were launched by broadcasters, DTH were the first to provide it, here again there was a shift as people taught MSO coundnt carry HD services, and again people went for DTH HD services like Tata Sky HD, Videocon HD.

But in the same year MSO like Hathway, DEN, In Digital started HD services in digital cable, HD STB were launched at an affordable price and everything of DTH was available on Digital Cable including local channels. So here again people shifted from DTH to Digital Cable.

So what is the Future of Digital Entertainment in our country, DTH or the advancing technology of Digital Cable TV.

Pls share your views on this. Thanks

Cable is Best for Local channels & DTH is Best for All India Mix channels.:tup
Cable may be cheap but, may not provide Different language channels in High quantity.:s
Picture & Sound quality of DTH is best as compared to Cable.:s

Shubham123,

Hathway, In Digital, DEN provide 350+ channels, local and all india mix, and that too in high quality. These MSO also have 30+ HD channels and also good quality STB. Digital cable is best as it can carry 1000 channels because it has a huge cable network bandwidth of its own. DTH have issue with space and need to rent TP from satellites. I don't see DTH carrying more then 500 channels. Also rain outage can cause issues too, which digital cable doesn't suffer.

anishpai said:
Shubham123,

Hathway, In Digital, DEN provide 350+ channels, local and all india mix, and that too in high quality. These MSO also have 30+ HD channels and also good quality STB. Digital cable is best as it can carry 1000 channels because it has a huge cable network bandwidth of its own. DTH have issue with space and need to rent TP from satellites. I don't see DTH carrying more then 500 channels. Also rain outage can cause issues too, which digital cable doesn't suffer.

in case of HD channels, No one can beat Dishtv.:no
& for regional channels, can you tell me, How many Telugu channels are available in Hathway cable Mumbai?:huh

Dish TV HD channels quality is not that good as compared to other DTH like Tata Sky and D2H, (Dishtv also has upscaled HD channels) which are not true Asli HD
BTW Hathway, In Digital and DEN provide far more better quality PQ/AQ for SD and HD channels. I have seen the quality difference between Digital cable and DTH.

BTW hathway in Mumbai provides 20 telugu channels.

anishpai said:
Dish TV HD channels quality is not that good as compared to other DTH like Tata Sky and D2H, (Dishtv also has upscaled HD channels) which are not true Asli HD
BTW Hathway, In Digital and DEN provide far more better quality PQ/AQ for SD and HD channels. I have seen the quality difference between Digital cable and DTH.

BTW hathway in Mumbai provides 20 telugu channels.

Videocon d2h providing 30+ Telugu channels & 29 HD Channels in any state.:tup
& Atleast Dishtv have some upscaled HD channels, that too @ just Rs.200 pm alongwith All true HD channels thats a good thing.:eek:hya

Good, I am paying 300Rs, but I am not complaining as all 30+ HD channels are working 24x7, all 350+ SD Channels also have no issues. No rain issues at all as its digital cable.

BTW how many channels do people watch per day ??? that to regional ??? Yes regional content may be less (it will be more in coming months) but that's not an issue, they can provide local content and all hindi/English channels.

anishpai said:
Good, I am paying 300Rs, but I am not complaining as all 30+ HD channels are working 24x7, all 350+ SD Channels also have no issues. No rain issues at all as its digital cable.

BTW how many channels do people watch per day ??? that to regional ??? Yes regional content may be less (it will be more in coming months) but that's not an issue, they can provide local content and all hindi/English channels.

they will never add Other regional channels in Hathway Mumbai.:no
Who will demand for Tamil, Telugu channels in Mumbai?:huh
i watches only 7 to 8 channels.:s
but, People may watch any channels.:tup
so, demand is necessary.:eek:hya

Well India is a vast country, and migration happens from one state to another, In Mumbai alone there are people from different states who are living there. hence MSO too will add all regional channels, and also after the Govt nod for Digitization and DAS, all MSO must have all channels.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock