Disney to cut back on TV, sports biz in India

Funkyboyhas

Reaction score
Media and entertainment conglomerate Walt Disney is likely to scale down its television broadcasting, sports catalogue and film studio business in India, said two people familiar with the development, declining to be named as the plans are not public. The move comes close on the heels of top executive Uday Shankar stepping down as president, for the APAC (Asia and Pacific) region and chairman, Star and Disney India earlier this month, accompanied by a global announcement that stated the company’s intention to reorganize its media and entertainment businesses to “focus on developing and producing original content for the company’s streaming services." The announcement was made in a blog on its website.

Disney to cut back on TV, sports biz in India

Cut back means ? They'll shutdown Sports & entertainment Channels :huh:

shutdown some of language base sports channels and cut the funding for new sports broadcast rights.

What i feel is Disney is putting all entertainment brands/film & TV studios under one roof.
They have done a big yet a very smart decision to push streaming as their future. I feel ABC,Freeform,NatGeo,ESPN,Star (TV Network) will come under one roof all the Studios as well. The content will be ready just the difference is they will decide which will go for digital,TV or Straight To Theater. Also now i feel Disney will shut down or sell unnecessary assets ( first they should sell A&E because now i have understanded that it's FREAKING giving competition to NatGeo, if disney was interested in A&E they would have buyed it long back) instead buy the 20% stake of ESPN

Last edited:
Cut back means ? They'll shutdown Sports & entertainment Channels :huh:

They will be cutting down on anything which is 'non-entertainment' - IPL, PKL etc. will be counted as entertainment by Disney (thus revenue earners), while Test cricket (non-India), Football (like WC, Bundesliga) etc. are sports but not entertainment, which could go out.

Reading from the Forbes article - 'Formula 1: The cost per season is Rs 80 crore to Rs 90 crore, but we don’t make even Rs 1 crore to Rs 1.5 crore in advertising from it, the English Premier League, which costs about Rs 200 crore per season and sees a mere fraction of that in ad revenues.'

Here in this article source from star india said that they will continue to invest in cricket for upcoming bidding

"In line with the eight-year trend, sources in the company say Star will continue to invest heavily in Indian sports going forward, especially cricket. Tenders for BCCI's all-important Indian Premier League (IPL) media rights and Indian cricket bilateral rights are expected to be brought out between 2021 and 2022 and Star-Disney is learnt to be gearing up for another go at the bidding table."
'Star will continue to remain bullish on Indian cricket' - Times of India

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock