Disney to cut back on TV, sports biz in India

In a nutshell
1. English channels may shut down like star world and others.
2. Expensive Sports properties like Formula 1 and English Premier league Bundelisga football etc may go,as Disney will not bid for them. In case others dont bid for it Brace for a blackout of some live sports.
3 There will be original series prepared by Disney/ Star

It looks likely that all those niche and other properties specially in sports which does not give returns may take a hit as they are not providing desired RoI.

Great. I also want them to give up rights for all football events and stick to just cricket. So that SONY can pick them up and i can watch football peacefully. But probably they will keep PKL and ISL. These are partially their property. ISL is till 2024.

In a nutshell
1. English channels may shut down like star world and others.
2. Expensive Sports properties like Formula 1 and English Premier league Bundelisga football etc may go,as Disney will not bid for them. In case others dont bid for it Brace for a blackout of some live sports.
3 There will be original series prepared by Disney/ Star

It looks likely that all those niche and other properties specially in sports which does not give returns may take a hit as they are not providing desired RoI.
Letting go premium properties like F-1, EPL, Tennis GSs' etc. may be disastrous for their business in India. If their strategy is revenue driven only, then they will have nothing to show except cricket. They cannot be called a complete sports channel unless they have a variety of sports content to offer, which Sony is doing very well.

Letting go premium properties like F-1, EPL, Tennis GSs' etc. may be disastrous for their business in India. If their strategy is revenue driven only, then they will have nothing to show except cricket. They cannot be called a complete sports channel unless they have a variety of sports content to offer, which Sony is doing very well.

So they are here do a business and if you incur heavy losses for it for eg a minute population watches a Formula 1 and subscribes dont subscribe to it whats the use of taking this sports properties but then in that case if they do it they should have a reasonable price attached to it. Some time back ZEEL had a golf channel exclusively for premium customers priced very high, there were no takers for it and it was shutdown. After TRAI rules along with COVID everything has taken a hit so effective cost model from a business perspective will be there and so be it. Yes niche sports properties will be gone and they will know it will hit a small section from a viewership perspective.

rather then cutting down on content they should cut down on channels... whats the use of having so many sports channels and they keep showing repeats of ipl on all channels....whats the use of star gold 2 when they can show all those movies on start gold ......no need of star world premier, star world is fine....they can shut down star movies select no need of that as well they can show those movies on star movies rather then repeating marvel movies....close down all regional sports channels and give language feed.... they just need to know how too manage its properties

i want to tell people STOP BASHING STAR, kindly understand that Disney is taking these steps to improve Star. Disney's dosen't really own much cable channels in USA but they dominate there just because of one thing which is CONTENT. i hope with these steps Star will be improved. If you can't say positive kindly don't spread negativity.

Last edited:
rather then cutting down on content they should cut down on channels... whats the use of having so many sports channels and they keep showing repeats of ipl on all channels....whats the use of star gold 2 when they can show all those movies on start gold ......no need of star world premier, star world is fine....they can shut down star movies select no need of that as well they can show those movies on star movies rather then repeating marvel movies....close down all regional sports channels and give language feed.... they just need to know how too manage its properties
Most of things you said is correct but i want to correct you where i feel you're absolutely wrong. They never said they're cutting on content. They are transforming itself as biggest content providers. Only unnecessary Regional Sports Channels should be shutdown. Give the audio feeds in star sports 1/2. Shut English channels as far as i know they want to just concentrate on streaming because the upcoming STAR service will fill that gap.

Last edited:
Most of things you said is correct but i want to correct you where i feel you're absolutely wrong. They never said they're cutting on content. They are transforming itself as biggest content providers. Only unnecessary Regional Sports Channels should be shutdown. Give the audio feeds in star sports 1/2. Shut English channels as far as i know they want to just concentrate on streaming because the upcoming STAR service will fill that gap.
Regional Sports channels offering something special shows, Live Regional language players names graphics in South Sports channels, I hope they will not Shutdown sports channels, if they Shutdown Regional Sports channels then they Should Shutdown Star Sports Hindi too

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock