Disney to cut back on TV, sports biz in India

Comcast owns Sky not Disney... Article seems to have mentioned wrong info on this
Not only them, even others are goofing up saying Disney sold Sky. Lol they didn't own Sky at the first place how come they are able to sell is beyond me. This shows all these are more of a propaganda than editorial/ news stories with proper research.

Last edited:
Disney should shut Star Sports Select channels and bring back ESPN for international sporting events. Too many Select channels might confuse the viewers.

This is just beginning, I think these types of announcement coming days also there from other broadcasters too Zee, Sony, Viacom and Sun network:cf2:

Not only them, even others are goofing up saying Disney sold Sky. Lol they didn't own Sky at the first place how come they are able to sell is beyond me. This shows all these are more of a propaganda than editorial/ news stories with proper research.
It would be great if ESPN brand is back

According to the Forbes India article:
... Fox Star Studios, the movie production and distribution subsidiary of Star India, will also be shut soon. “Besides the leaders who have already left, around 40 employees have been asked to resign,” he says.

Just as an aside, I questioned this same possibility back in December 2018 on this forum, but no one responded. :p
I never understood why Disney acquired UTV Motion Pictures only to shut down all production a few years later. Now that they will be in charge of Fox Star Studios as well, I hope it will not encounter a similar fate.

Last edited:
The broadcaster also plans to move niche sporting events such Formula One and English Premier League exclusively to its OTT platform, Disney Plus-Hotstar. "The audience for these sports is not the typical cricket audience, neither do they generate as much advertiser interest as cricket does. Therefore, it makes better sense for the broadcaster to move it to Hotstar where subscription revenues are much better than TV. If Hotstar creates a separate Formula One package and offers it for Rs 250, the revenue monetisation will be much better," explains a former Star executive, who says that barring cricket all the other sports churn huge losses for the broadcaster

Disney-Star puts sports biz under lens; churn inevitable

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock