Disney to cut back on TV, sports biz in India

This is 2000cr ad revenue is only from tv .....they still have not revealed ad revenue of digital plus how much they got subscription revenue from both tv and hotstar only because of ipl
Even Star Links Sports Live Syndication deal with Television and Digital in international channels, So Star sports IPL Broadcasting Revenue will touch 4000crs every year

Last edited:
Even Star Links Sports Live Syndication deal with Television and Digital in international channels, So Star sports IPL Broadcasting Revenue will touch 4000 every year
Yes....but when they didnt get exoected profits in article writers say they are making losses and then general people like us thinks that losses means actual they are making less than what they spent on rights

Star Sports also Sharing selected matches of ICC and BCCI National team, Domestic to Jio TV in India, so I think Star Recovers 30% Acquisition cost from these Syndication deals only in India.

Last edited:
Even Star Links Sports Live Syndication deal with Television and Digital in international channels, So Star sports IPL Broadcasting Revenue will touch 4000 every year
Yeah! Last year Star reported Huge losses in its first quarter under Disney. When questioned regd that, Disney's CFO clearly said losses are mainly due to 2019 WC. So more or less Star isn't making a huge operating loss, if not making profits for IPL.

Do you guys think that Disney sooner or later shut down Star Branded Sports Channels which possibly be replaced with ESPN?
Source- Disney can check out any time.... But can it ever leave the TV business in India?
heBVeTi.png

Last edited:
Yeah! Last year Star reported Huge losses in its first quarter under Disney. When questioned regd that, Disney's CFO clearly said losses are mainly due to 2019 WC. So more or less Star isn't making a huge operating loss, if not making profits for IPL.
Indian advertisement agencies not interested advertise for 2019 WC in TV , because hosting England, if 2019 World Cup hosted in India Advertisement Rate will sky High.

Do you guys think that Disney sooner or later shut down Star Branded Sports Channels?
Source- Disney can check out any time.... But can it ever leave the TV business in India?
heBVeTi.png
That won't happen for sure, Star is one of the Marquee brands now for Disney. And there is no actual need of revamping Star with ESPN. They may introduce ESPN as replacement for one of the select channels but thats the whole thing. And it makes sense to have all businesses under a single brand name in India i.e., Star . Even in the US Abc when broadcasting sports is called ESPN on ABC.

That won't happen for sure, Star is one of the Marquee brands now for Disney. And there is no actual need of revamping Star with ESPN. They may introduce ESPN as replacement for one of the select channels but thats the whole thing. And it makes sense to have all businesses under a single brand name in India i.e., Star . Even in the US Abc when broadcasting sports is called ESPN on ABC.
Agreed with each and every point of yours, but when it comes to mouse house, i can't trust them.

Yeah that I agree, But assuming Star paid a lot is wrong is what I'm saying. As whole rights were added upto 15800 crores, and Star's global bid is 16300 crores. The margin of bid is very close not like Star has lost their mind and bid out 2-3k crores more than the margin.

For everyone's reference how the auction panned out.

Star wins IPL rights for US $2.55 billion

U r mixing up context diff things i wrote. I stated that sony currently has ample legroom to buy diff sport properties bcoz of less cricket rights investment and even earlier had same during IPL cycle bcoz bidding/rights amount was less.
About current scenario of star/disney, i mentioned that they paid a very big amount hence cannot spend more on other sports rights.. Same would have been true for sony had they won it. All i can say is unless we viewers r ready to pay decent subscription amount good content specially niche one will b off limits on tv

Agreed with each and every point of yours, but when it comes to mouse house, i can't trust them.
Lol! As I said earlier Disney became a powerhouse because of identification and acquisition of Marquee brands. They clearly know how to sustain them as well, Marvel Studios was acquired when they are in cusp of becoming a global phenomenon. Pixar, the long sightedness of Bob Iger saw an opportunity to get hold of their own Animation dominance by acquiring Pixar. Disney saw an opportunity in acquiring basically a dead studio in Lucasfilm and pour a new breath into it by allowing them to produce movies and TV shows, if not I'm confident that George Lucas wouldn't have made any Star wars/Indiana Jones at all in the near time(ik many people Think sequel trilogy sucks, but having something is better than nothing). They as a company knows what works and what not. Sure, UTV they have messed up, but isn't it the same loss making Studio that it was?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock