Disney to cut back on TV, sports biz in India

U r mixing up context diff things i wrote. I stated that sony currently has ample legroom to buy diff sport properties bcoz of less cricket rights investment and even earlier had same during IPL cycle bcoz bidding/rights amount was less.
About current scenario of star/disney, i mentioned that they paid a very big amount hence cannot spend more on other sports rights.. Same would have been true for sony had they won it. All i can say is unless we viewers r ready to pay decent subscription amount good content specially niche one will b off limits on tv
I'm not saying particularly about you bro, I have seen many people assuming that without properly understanding thats why I said that.

Last edited:
Yeah! Last year Star reported Huge losses in its first quarter under Disney. When questioned regd that, Disney's CFO clearly said losses are mainly due to 2019 WC. So more or less Star isn't making a huge operating loss, if not making profits for IPL.

Sports business is loss making in short run and profits come after long time that too if all things go as planned. Also do not expect any broadcaster to be open about Losses it is making on a big property as it further damages the potential monetization. Anyways FOX had a diff way to attend sports rights while Disney is more calculated money wise. Cricket rights r way overpriced in my opinion and Disney / Sony should not overpay as both broadcasters and consumers tend to struggle bcoz of it

ESPN wil surely b back with wide variety of sports

Sports business is loss making in short run and profits come after long time that too if all things go as planned. Also do not expect any broadcaster to be open about Losses it is making on a big property as it further damages the potential monetization. Anyways FOX had a diff way to attend sports rights while Disney is more calculated money wise. Cricket rights r way overpriced in my opinion and Disney / Sony should not overpay as both broadcasters and consumers tend to struggle bcoz of it

ESPN wil surely b back with wide variety of sports
If Economy shrinks anymore? How much losses should Disney expect from those BCCI and IPL deals of Star?

If Economy shrinks anymore? How much losses should Disney expect from those BCCI and IPL deals of Star?

Well irrespective of economy Disney won't b doing such high bidding anymore, they will calculate investment - return ratio before purchasing any rights. All in all i think it will help stabilise sports rights business in India as previously star was very aggressive in buying cricket rights at enormous amount which led to imbalance

I think Disney wants sports/cricket streaming in hotstar premium pack, but their President (Asia) opposed it. So, they kicks him out.

Last edited:
Master.jpg

From my point of view they should first shut down their channels like Star Bharat, UTV Movie channels, reduce the number of sports channels. Bring good programs for Star Plus.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock