Disney to cut back on TV, sports biz in India

The broadcaster also plans to move niche sporting events such Formula One and English Premier League exclusively to its OTT platform, Disney Plus-Hotstar. "The audience for these sports is not the typical cricket audience, neither do they generate as much advertiser interest as cricket does. Therefore, it makes better sense for the broadcaster to move it to Hotstar where subscription revenues are much better than TV. If Hotstar creates a separate Formula One package and offers it for Rs 250, the revenue monetisation will be much better," explains a former Star executive, who says that barring cricket all the other sports churn huge losses for the broadcaster

Disney-Star puts sports biz under lens; churn inevitable
Tier 2-3 cities don't have high speed internet infrastructure also streaming full match requires broadband connection, I wonder how many percentage of country have WIFI connections?? which makes TV the best choice to watch live events. The story might be different for Series and Movies because of you can watch them later as they are pre-recorded.

Tier 2-3 cities don't have high speed internet infrastructure also streaming full match requires broadband connection, I wonder how many percentage of country have WIFI connections?? which makes TV the best choice to watch live events. The story might be different for Series and Movies because of you can watch them later as they are pre-recorded.

So after 2 years as i can assess that star / disney has not scaled down on its TV channels business in India. Infact they r adding new content, channels across genres. I already stated that TV as a medium of entertainment has immense growth opportunity in India if broadcasters and operators adopt the right strategy & implement it well.

I forgot to mention but few days back NFL was airing live on Star Sports Select, in sports genre star/disney is investing a lot of money for TV rights while at the same time focusing on expanding the growth its OTT platform disney+hotstar

When Disney became parent I too thought Star will miss their liberal father. Fox had an affection towards Star. They were always willing to flow money measureless for the prosperity of the company. But Disney is also doing the same. Even they are focused on streaming, the TV networks also getting sufficient fund. Star studios once decided the fate of UTV movies now went back.

Disney continues Releasing local Indian and Hollywood 20th century studios movies in different banners. Avatar the way of water releasing under UTV Software communications through Disney's Buena Vista International.
l1D6bYm.jpg

After Fox Star to Star Studios rebrand, Brahmastra Part One shiva released by Star Studios/Star India itself in India.
sNoiEmN.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock