Discussion Do we need DTH or cable now?

hindifun

Contributor
Reaction score
When almost all channels and movies available online, do we need DTH or cable any more?
Anyone tried here to go for online only content?
Recently I purchased Amazon Fire TV and thinking for possibility of living without DTH.

Tens of thousands of movies are available in HD without break on Netflix, Amazon prime and other apps.
Live sports channels are available on Hotstar app.
Almost every news channel has thier own app or these channels are available on many platforms.

Though we need one Jio TV like app to watch every channel, almost all of the channels are available on one or other platform. You need to switch in between the apps.
Anyone tried here to discontinue DTH/cable and watch only Fire TV/Android TV?

It can be economically viable also but I am more interested to remove box and cables.

Please share your experience.

Last edited:
When we are used to change channels in a jiffy with LCN no and scroll up and down I feel apps will be difficult to adjust to, when all channels are under one roof

Also it would be difficult for kids and elderly people to use.

Last edited:
In my pov bro All people's can't leave DTH/Cable because many villages or some old cities have a problem of network, and also can't afford a expensive price of services like hotstar nd more..
Because cable have a low price per month.
Also elder people's can't use it because it's difficult to use :eek:k:

Prefer Both because connectivity issue & also trems For pricing Example Netflix it's little bit costly everyone can't afford their palns so I would prefer DTH & cable both.

It depends on content and your internet connection. For example, if you watch movies and TV shows and you have a good internet connection then you may opt for it. I use internet to watch movies and TV shows.
But if you watch live sports or live tv using internet connection then I don't think it's a good idea plus you won't get infotainment channel shows online.

If you can, then don't recharge Airtel TV for one month and use internet for everything and share how it goes.

In cities where wired/wireless connectivity is stable one can think of completely quitting Cable/DTH.Connectivity is the foremost aspect and still I think we haven't reached such a stability in internet connectivity thats lasting very stable for hours together to have a buffer free online streaming experience yet.

Second if you come to cable and even DTH particulary SD customers pay less than 200 per month and heard stories of people even from middle income groups find that too costly even in semi urban areas and quitting DTH and relied much upon analogue RS.100 per month cable subscription.

Jio is free for now but Amazon Prime/Zee5/Hotstar put together will cost over 300/- per month while Netflix is still at an unreachable distance even for higher income groups.

As far as I'm concerned its possible and I'll definitely give a try moving forward when I'm confident of my Internet connectivity.

Cable/DTH is also not completely substituted by apps abroad like in the US, UK, China etc.

Google Fiber also provides IPTV which has live channels playing via a STB.

We can say service providers are coming with STB that are hybrid with live Channels and apps like airtel internet STB and upcoming JIO Giga TV STB.

Younger generation cannot tolerate ads. Hence online streaming will be the future, although older people in our houses will love it they old way.

unless internet speeds becomes more stable in all areas . dth and cable will always be there .unlike america here internet speeds are not much stable it fluctuates regularly .

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock