Discussion Do you think the quality of Set Top Box (s) has deteriorated over the years ?

happy_penguin

Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased a Full HD STB just 2 years back & it went bad 3 days back. My LCO collected the STB saying that he will have it repaired and return it to me within 2 days. Today I when I called him to ask about the status of the box he told me that it can't be repaired locally because of unavailability of spare parts & that he will have to send it to the official service center.

This STB has no mention of any brand written on it's metal cabinet.
On the cover box (which it came packed in) it says Telecast Technology Corporation / Model : GK-27200 / Made in China.

On the the other hand my dad is using a SD STB manufactured by Cisco & its running like a champ for over 6 years (approx).

Do you think the quality of Set Top Box (s) has deteriorated over the years ?

Last edited:
Yes, it has. Customers wants set top boxes for ridiculously cheap price. Hence, the quality has deteriorated over the years.

In my opinion Yes.
Old settop box is costlier but it works good compare to new box
You are right but since you mention the price angle let me tell you that on the package box the price printed in Rs 1700. As you know its more than what DTH providers like Tata Sky charge for their STBs.

You are right but since you mention the price angle let me tell you that on the package box the price printed in Rs 1700. As you know its more than what DTH providers like Tata Sky charge for their STBs.
Good quality set top should cost 4-5k. But customers are unwilling to pay that much. Hence, we are getting what we are paying.

Service providers provide cheap chinese set top boxes and they are not worth buying. But now situation can change because Indian Govt. is planning to restrict import of chinese set top boxes.

Service providers provide cheap chinese set top boxes and they are not worth buying. But now situation can change because Indian Govt. is planning to restrict import of chinese set top boxes.
Tata Sky always provided set top boxes manufactured from Vietnam. Because I have two boxes. Both are manufactured in Vietnam.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock