Discussion Does Tollywood ever make movies with good social message?

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Telugu movies when I hear about it. Macho movies comes to my mind. Like Pushpa has been really inspiring people to become criminals. And Arjun Reddy thinks he owns women. I want to break this perspection of movies inspired by criminals and abusers. I have seen movies like Bahubali which is basically complication of multiple hollywood movies and series combined together. Can anyone recommend any more good Telugu movie with good social messages like Taare Zameen Par (movie about autistic kid), Dear Zindagi (mental health) and Shubh Mangal Zyada Savdhan (representation of LGBT community)?

Like I have recently seen good movies like Jai Bhim, Trance come from other Southern industry. Nothing good from Telugu-wood atleast for now.

Last edited:
I don't why have that much hate for Telugu films.
If you want a good content films from Telugu film industry, come out of that trance that they don't make good movies as well as commercial blockbusters and watch Color Photo(Which won the National Award BTW), Aa Naluguru, Vedam, Jersey which was remade by Bollywood... Even the recent flop like Thank You, tried to teach something about the human arrogance.. Which I have liked very much.

Also, There are many films which are pure commercial entertainers but have social commentaries embedded through the core. Also, too much of social commentaries isn't a good thing, look at Mahesh Babu's movies he tries to do them regularly, and I don't really want that as a fan, I want to watch him in mass entertainers now and then...

Like Pushpa has been really inspiring people to become criminals. And Arjun Reddy thinks he owns women.
This is just pure BS... So, Amitabh's Don and SRK's movies have inspired the whole Hindi belt to become a gangsters? It's just your hate for Telugu films in general I guess.

So, by your logic Telugu film Srimanthudu has to have inspired a lot of Rich people to adapt the villages which contains their roots? I believe nothing had happened at that scale.

Also, I believe Movies are entertainment purposes, if they entertain people then they have done their job.

Last edited:
I don't why have that much hate for Telugu films.
If you want a good content films from Telugu film industry, come out of that trance that they don't make good movies as well as commercial blockbusters and watch Color Photo(Which won the National Award BTW), Aa Naluguru, Vedam, Jersey which was remade by Bollywood... Even the recent flop like Thank You, tried to teach something about the human arrogance.. Which I have liked very much.

Also, There are many films which are pure commercial entertainers but have social commentaries embedded through the core. Also, too much of social commentaries isn't a good thing, look at Mahesh Babu's movies he tries to do them regularly, and I don't really want that as a fan, I want to watch him in mass entertainers now and then...

This is just pure BS... So, Amitabh's Don and SRK's movies have inspired the whole Hindi belt to become a gangsters? It's just your hate for Telugu films in general I guess.

So, by your logic Telugu film Srimanthudu has to have inspired a lot of Rich people to adapt the villages which contains their roots? I believe nothing had happened at that scale.

Also, I believe Movies are entertainment purposes, if they entertain people then they have done their job.
Did I say I hated tollywood movies? I said. Change my perception. And asked for some recommendatio. Anyhow appreciate your essay.

Did I say I hated tollywood movies?
I'm observing your comments on Telugu films since Pushpa... You have say that in a positive way then, not the regressive tone...

I said. Change my perception.
For changing your perception, just go and see Telugu films first.. Don't even judge them based on a single movie you have seen... I know you didn't like Pushpa or Arjun Reddy, but they made more money than the Hindi movies that are releasing.. So, people aren't really hating them at all...

I'm observing your comments on Telugu films since Pushpa... You have say that in a positive way then, not the regressive tone...

For changing your perception, just go and see Telugu films first.. Don't even judge them based on a single movie you have seen... I know you didn't like Pushpa or Arjun Reddy, but they made more money than the Hindi movies that are releasing.. So, people aren't really hating them at all...
I prefer watching movies on social topics. Are there any telegu movies about mental health and LGBTQ community? Can you recommend some movies?

DJ Bro, I feeling you hating Telugu movies just because they ruling the world right now. But its just time yaar, time changes very quickly yaar.

I suggest you to Watch Legendary Actor Rajendra Prasad's "AA NALUGURU" - This movie perfect for Big B to remade in hindi.

Source

Nnd most of Mahesh Babu movies most he is trying to give some solution to society with his movies.

Personally I didn't like Pushpa - earlier said this to.

Last edited:
DJ Bro, I feeling you hating Telugu movies just because they ruling right now in whole world. But its just time yaar, time changes very quickly yaar.
Whole world is far fetched. Even In India their share is restricted to few markets. Anyhow this thread is not about what I love or hate which doesn't really matter. It's about what Tollywood produces.

Last edited:
I think we see less social representation is because they have cracked the bollywood's code of success. What bollywood did to succeed through 80s and 90s did with masala macho movies is what Tollywood is imitiating now. This is why don't see different content. Just take Mahesh Babu who I think is Salman Khan of Tollywood plays almost the same role in all movies. I don't see any difference in his character in most movies.

there any telegu movies about mental health and LGBTQ community? Can you recommend some movies?
Have you ever heard of Swathi Muthyam? I don't think so... They explored mental health disorder like Autism in 1980s only okay... If you want recent films Chi La Sow they have explored bipolar disorder...

Just watch Mee Sreyobhilashi, the movie where the lead tries to save depressed people who want to die. I don't believe in using the LGBTQ troupe for a comedic purpose and give a lengthy dialogues of speech for message like Bollywood do, if thats the case, There are MANY Telugu films that had done that.

LOL, I don't think you have seen any early 2000 and 1990's, they did a lot more variety of movies than Bollywood did. Have you heard if Shiva by Ram Gopal Verma, he did that film and had become a staple at Bollywood with movies.

Last edited:
Have you ever heard of Swathi Muthyam? I don't think so... They explored mental health disorder like Autism in 1980s only okay... If you want recent films Chi La Sow they have explored bipolar disorder...

Just watch Mee Sreyobhilashi, the movie where the lead tries to save depressed people who want to die. I don't believe in using the LGBTQ troupe for a comedic purpose and give a lengthy dialogues of speech for message like Bollywood do, if thats the case, There are MANY Telugu films that had done that.

LOL, I don't think you have seen any early 2000 and 1990's, they did a lot more variety of movies than Bollywood did. Have you heard if Shiva by Ram Gopal Verma, he did that film and had become a staple at Bollywood with movies.
I have heard about the first movie you mentioned. Have you seen it yourself?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock