DTH industry appeals to FinMin for relaxation on multi-layered taxation

Dileep Kumar

Reaction score
Currently, the DTH operators pay the central govt 10% (of annual revenue) in the form of licence fee and 12.3% as service tax
With the change in mantle at the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, direct-to-home operators in India hope they will finally get some respite from the multi-layer taxation that they are subject to as of now. On behalf of the six private DTH players, Dish TV has appealed to the finance minister Arun Jaitley and I&B minister Prakash Javadekar seeking an audience to discuss the issue.
In the past too, the industry has pointed out the burden it faces due to the multi-layer taxation. Currently, the DTH operators pay the central government 10% (of annual revenue) in the form of licence fee and 12.3% as service tax. Additionally, they pay the individual state government's entertainment tax, as prescribed by them.
"In some states, like Uttar Pradesh, the entertainment tax is as much as 33%. On a pan-India level, each private DTH player pays roughly 9% in entertainment tax. Adding this to the license fee and service tax wepay, the total comes to nearly 32%, which is very high,"said R C Venkateish, CEO, Dish TV India.
He adds that DTH has brough ttransparency and tax revenues to the government which was impossibleto as certain and collect in the old analog regime. Dish TV, along with other members of the DTH Association of India have appealed to the ministries and will be meeting the respective ministers this week.
"The DTH players have collectively invested nearly Rs 2,500 crore towards stablishing systems and backend for the industry and the multi-layered tax burden in preventing anyone of the six operators from making any profits," said. Venkateish.
"Dish TV is taking the lead to appealto the Honorable Finance Minister to provide relief from the twin burden of entertainment tax and and service tax. It appeals to allow abatement in service tax to the extent of entertainment tax paid or 60% of service tax whichever is lower. The flawed taxation structure of this industry has encumbered the growth of thisotherwise promising industry," he adds.
Currently, there are seven DTH serviceproviders in the country of which, six are private including Dish TV,Airtel DTH, Videocon d2h, Tata Sky, Relaince Digital TV and SunDirect. The seventh player is DD Direct, part of state run Doordarshan.Last year, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has come out with a recommendation that the licence fess charged to DTH operators should be reduced from 10% to 8% of annual revenues. However, no step has been taken towards this. "We will take this up with the I&B minister as well. We are not using a public spectrum and still are expected topay such high license fees," said an executive from another DTH operator on the condition of anonymity.
The industry is hopeful that these considerations will be included by the ministries in the upcoming budget and the tax burden will be lowered. Business Standard

DTH industry appeals toFinMin for relaxation onmulti-layered taxation

Currently, the DTH operators pay the
central govt 10% (of annual revenue) in the
form of licence fee and 12.3% as service
tax With the change in mantle at the Ministry of
Information and Broadcasting, direct-to-home
operators in India hope they will finally get
some respite from the multi-layer taxation that
they are subject to as of now. On behalf of the
six private DTH players, Dish TV has appealed
to the finance minister Arun Jaitley and I&B
minister Prakash Javadekar seeking an audience
to discuss the issue.
In the past too, the industry has pointed out
the burden it faces due to the multi-layer
taxation. Currently, the DTH operators pay the
central government 10% (of annual revenue) in
the form of licence fee and 12.3% as service
tax. Additionally, they pay the individual state
government's entertainment tax, as prescribed
by them.
"In some states, like Uttar Pradesh, the
entertainment tax is as much as 33%. On a
pan-India level, each private DTH player pays
roughly 9% in entertainment tax. Adding this
to the license fee and service tax wepay, the
total comes to nearly 32%, which is very
high,"said R C Venkateish, CEO, Dish TV India.
He adds that DTH has brough ttransparency
and tax revenues to the government which was
impossibleto as certain and collect in the old
analog regime. Dish TV, along with other
members of the DTH Association of India have
appealed to the ministries and will be meeting
the respective ministers this week.
"The DTH players have collectively invested
nearly Rs 2,500 crore towards stablishing
systems and backend for the industry and the
multi-layered tax burden in preventing anyone
of the six operators from making any profits,"
said. Venkateish.
"Dish TV is taking the lead to appealto the
Honorable Finance Minister to provide relief
from the twin burden of entertainment tax and
and service tax. It appeals to allow abatement
in service tax to the extent of entertainment
tax paid or 60% of service tax whichever is
lower. The flawed taxation structure of this
industry has encumbered the growth of
thisotherwise promising industry," he adds.
Currently, there are seven DTH
serviceproviders in the country of which, six
are private including Dish TV,Airtel DTH,
Videocon d2h, Tata Sky, Relaince Digital TV
and SunDirect. The seventh player is DD Direct,
part of state runDoordarshan.
DTH industry appeals to FinMin for relaxation on multi-layered taxation | Business Standard

RE: DTH industry appeals toFinMin for relaxation onmulti-layered taxation

every time the DTH industry appealed of tax relief bt nothing happen hope ki ache din aane wale hai

RE: DTH industry appeals toFinMin for relaxation onmulti-layered taxation

NDA govt has to take action in favor of DTH companies.. It will also help toreduce the common man's monthly charges for DTH service..

Hope NDA government do some positive action and we will able to save some money on our pocket.

I am totally against this tax relief. :angry In fact I want same tax structure like DTH in cable Tv and IPTV also. I hope NDA will impose same tax in both cable, DTH and IPTV. Govt should also increase import tax of STB, flat panel TV, mobiles and other electronic items so that those companies start producing those products here. Govt needs more fund to complete infrastructure projects, railway, health sector, defense sector, Higher education and Science and research project.

Sarkar said:
I am totally against this tax relief. :angry In fact I want same tax structure like DTH in cable Tv and IPTV also. I hope NDA will impose same tax in both cable, DTH and IPTV. Govt should also increase import tax of STB, flat panel TV, mobiles and other electronic items so that those companies start producing those products here. Govt needs more fund to complete infrastructure projects, railway, health sector, defense sector, Higher education and Science and research project.

your argument is completely wring and meaningless.
Dth companies are asking tax relief on revenues(subscription prices),not on stb.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock