Dth suggestion

• Thread starter Thread starter trumee
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 5
  • Views Views: Views 1,446

trumee

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using cable tv until now and now want to switch to dish. I have my two cable stbs connected to my htpc via tv tuner card.

Questions I have:
1. Which provider has an stb box which has video out using svideo? I would prefer to avoid composite/rca if possible since it has inferior picture quality.

2. Which provider is the cheapest for two connections?

I will be connecting the set top box to my htpc tv tuner cards. Additionally, I will control the stb 's using infrared sensors. Hope the stbs have standard remotes.

AIRTEL AND VIDEOCON BOTH ARE BEST OF ALL, BUT VIDEOCON IS BETTER OF THE TWO, I HAVE USED ALL SD AND HD STB,s. THE BEST OF ALL IS WHAT I HAVE NOW. VIDEOCON,S LATEST HD STB 2222 MODEL, VIDEOCON PACKAGE RATES ARE LOW AS COMPARED TO AIRTEL BUT QUALITY IS AWESOME + MORE CHANNELS THAN AIRTEL, 23 ARE ASLI HD, THE MOST.
ALSO FAVRT LIST OPTION IS SO EASY AND USER FRIENDLY IN VIDEOCON, REMOTE IS ALSO RF WHICH MEANS YOU CAN USE IT EVEN IF OUT OF YOUR ROOM.
PICTURE CLARITY IS AMAZING,
SOUND IS ALSO VERY GOOD, HERE I THINK AIRTEL WAS BETTER AS FAR AS SOUND QUALITY IS CONCERNED.
UI OF VIDEOCON IS MORE USER FRIENDLY THAN THAT OF AIRTEL.

You seem to have some specific hardware requirements. Here'are some details about Videocon d2h.

1. HD Set Top Box has HDMI out, RCA out and SPDIF out for DD 5.1
2. HD STB Model 2011 has Infrared Remote. Model 2222 has RF remote but it has inbuilt USB recording support. Software update awaited for 2011 model.

3. D2H offers multi room connection. For any HD connection, the second connection costs 180. For the highest pack Platinum HD I think the second conn. charge is 200. Even then its the cheapest of all providing you maimum SD and HD channels which you cannot expect at the price from other providers.

If your htpc supports HDMI, just go for d2h!

trumee said:
Hi,

I have been using cable tv until now and now want to switch to dish. I have my two cable stbs connected to my htpc via tv tuner card.

Questions I have:
1. Which provider has an stb box which has video out using svideo? I would prefer to avoid composite/rca if possible since it has inferior picture quality.

2. Which provider is the cheapest for two connections?

I will be connecting the set top box to my htpc tv tuner cards. Additionally, I will control the stb 's using infrared sensors. Hope the stbs have standard remotes.

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately it is not possible to record directly from hdmi. Is there any component out from the stb?

RF remote will not be an option. I need an infrared (IR) based remote. I will stick an IR led directly onto the stb and control the led using the htpc. I mainly use Linux so will use lirc to control the IR led, on Windows there is something called winlirc to do the same thing. So guess model 2011 will be the one for me.

How about airtel's remote (for hd) ? Is it the normal IR remote or is it also RF based?

No component out on these boxes. Only RCA. Only d2h has an RF remote offering. Rest AFAIK have only IR remotes.

I suppose component cable can transmit only Video. I doubt if that option is available on any STB.

Will RCA work for you? Both hdmi and RCA are functional at the same time.

trumee said:
Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately it is not possible to record directly from hdmi. Is there any component out from the stb?

RF remote will not be an option. I need an infrared (IR) based remote. I will stick an IR led directly onto the stb and control the led using the htpc. I mainly use Linux so will use lirc to control the IR led, on Windows there is something called winlirc to do the same thing. So guess model 2011 will be the one for me.

How about airtel's remote (for hd) ? Is it the normal IR remote or is it also RF based?

Back
Top Bottom