Discussion Free vs Pay. Where are you watching IPL this season?

Where are you watching IPL this season?

• Pay on Star Sports channels.

• Freeview if available on upcoming regional Star Sports HD channels.

• Catch odd matches on Star Utsav Movies.

• Bundled Star Sports 4K channel with DTH/OTT bundle.

• Freestream on JioCinema.

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Since this heated argument wouldn't stop. Let's do it in this thread. This season IPL is streaming again for free after 7 years if I am not wrong. This will be first time after 2015, Hotstar wouldn't be streaming IPL. But it's TV counterpart Star Sports is still broadcasting IPL. Although Star might offer it's upcoming channels Star Sports Tamil 1 HD and Star Sports Telugu 1 HD as a freeview to counter Jio's free stream. But it isn't no state to offer same for it's 4K broadcast. Although they are also trying to counter free stream by airing some odd matches on it's DD FreeDish available channel Star Utsav Movies.

One way or another I believe Jio has the edge. Not only it's streaming completely for free and in 4K for the first time in league's history. You will have to use JioCinema to catch matches on the go and watch a simulcast second match along with your TV on your phones and laptops. Than again biggest con of Jio's stream is usage of internet where you cannot watch full match at it's best quality unless you got unlimited 5G or broadband internet.

So please answer where will you watch your IPL this year. I am allowing one vote only this time so that you can choose the platform you are primarily watching IPL this year.

Bonus Question: Will you pay for second matches on a channel like Star Sports 2 or Star Sports 2 HD with 30 lock-in period enabled by some cable/DTH operators?

Simply from the experience of watching WPL on Jio Cinema on my Samsung TV is enough for me to pay for STAR Sports 1 HD.

I wasn't able to stream any fixture straight for 10min without some kind of bug ruining it for me. I have 60MBPS internet speed which almost runs @ 75 mbps... And couple of days back the app isn't even allowing me to stream or don't even Load properly. It sometimes say invalid access token as if I had logged in.. So, tried to logging in, no option to do so as well. So, that's enough for me.

There is no 4K option anyway on the app. So, it doesn't matter whatever they have advertised. There is nothing in it, Atleast for Tizen and WebOS users for the foreseeable future...

I would have subscribed to Star Sports, even if Hotstar had the rights as I don't really like the bitrates at which Hotstar streams the IPL due to demand. But, Atleast I had a backup when something goes wrong on my Tata Sky. I don't think Jio Cinema will be providing that luxary for me Atleast currently in it's state.

I am okay with both if Star Launches Star Sports 4K then will subscribe to it for checking its experience otherwise JIO Cinema 4K streaming is working absolutely fine on TP Binge Box with my 100 Mbps Jio Fiber connection.

When You Have Better Choice with JIO CINEMA and that to be without login or subscription with better camera's (Main Field, Batter and other three camera) . Why Someone looking for other things. And Casting gives you easy stream to TV.

Voted : JIO CINEMA.

And I suggested this to my 10+ friends they downloaded JIO CINEMA and Enjoying WPL and Soon IPL to.

Last edited:
I am okay with both Star & Jio. But I will watch on Star Sports. No doubt Jio cinema is best but what if there will be issues during live broadcast as majority people will watch IPL compared to WPL.

Simply from the experience of watching WPL on Jio Cinema on my Samsung TV is enough for me to pay for STAR Sports 1 HD.

I wasn't able to stream any fixture straight for 10min without some kind of bug ruining it for me. I have 60MBPS internet speed which almost runs @ 75 mbps... And couple of days back the app isn't even allowing me to stream or don't even Load properly. It sometimes say invalid access token as if I had logged in.. So, tried to logging in, no option to do so as well. So, that's enough for me.

There is no 4K option anyway on the app. So, it doesn't matter whatever they have advertised. There is nothing in it, Atleast for Tizen and WebOS users for the foreseeable future...

I would have subscribed to Star Sports, even if Hotstar had the rights as I don't really like the bitrates at which Hotstar streams the IPL due to demand. But, Atleast I had a backup when something goes wrong on my Tata Sky. I don't think Jio Cinema will be providing that luxary for me Atleast currently in it's state.
Yes
absolutely right u r
the fps of the streaming so low in all streaming platforms in India that u cant get the crystal clear image what u get on HD tv channel

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock