Good News Freedish capacity upgraded to 104 channels: I&B Min Smriti Irani

• Thread starter Shubh
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 19
  • Views: Views 4,177

Shubh

Contributor
Reaction score
Information and Broadcasting Minister Smriti Irani has said that public broadcaster Prasar Bharati has finished upgrading DD’s free direct-to-home (DTH) platform Freedish for 104 channels with new compression technology (MPEG 4). Presently, 80 TV channels with existing MPEG-2 technology are operational.

This upgrade has been done in line with the recommendations of Sam Pitroda Committee.

The rollout of MPEG-4 set-top boxes (STBs), which was expected by March-end, has got delayed. MPEG-4 STBs will have capacity to carry 104 channels compared to MPEG-2 STBs, which carry only 80 channels.

Responding to a question in Rajya Sabha, Irani further stated that the installation and testing of equipment for implementation of iCAS (Indian CAS) on DD Freedish DTH platform has been completed.

She also said that five Indian STB OEMs have been shortlisted to sell iCAS and DD-approved firmware/middleware-enabled STBs. New STBs with this technology and iCAS will be an integral part of the reception system for MPEG 4 channels.

Read more at: http://www.televisionpost.com/dth/freedish-capacity-upgraded-to-104-channels-ib-min-smriti-irani/ | TelevisionPost.com

But when will we get these MPEG4 Boxes?
Following companies have been short listed for stb.
1. Modern Communication and Broadcast

Model no - Champion4000SI/SD
& Champion4000SI/HD

2. Velenkani Electronics Pvt. Ltd

Model no - PRYSM SD-S2
& PRYSM HD-S2

3. BGM Holding Co.

Model no - WLD001

4. KMTS Engineering Pvt. Ltd.

Model no - Solid 786

5. Millenium Technologies

Model no - MB441

They all will catch mpeg2 channels,however mpeg 4 stb will be conditional access enabled and catch more channels of dd free dish.

First supply the mpeg 4 encrypted box every house then try to increase the channels,

its available i think 15 August

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock