Discussion General Discussions, News & Updates On Indian TV Channels

Linear Television is failing bro, atleast incase of English clusters! They won't risk anything now, imo even launching HBO max is a risk for them, people who will be subscribing for just HBO originals are limited, even Disney with its massive brands understood this and integrated with Hotstar. Will have to wait and see what future holds for them.
Satellite TV is declining because competitors have become lazy. Even you got broadband instead of traditional cable/dth. If there is legal and easy means to stream tv channel. One would still opted it. Viacom is already doing with it's channels on Voot Select.

Talking about Disney+. Disney in India is responsible for what they are getting. They had stop giving priority to Disney originals until it was too late. Just do a survey, Disney. Let's see how many kids and teens recognises your massive library over those those mangas airing most of Disney's schedule. I personally think Disney+ is overrated. How many groundbreaking series it has given us? Only one name comes to mind and India is not the market for Star Wars. They will do what Hotstar have already being doing till now. Rely on sports, HBO, FX, ABC and Showtime. Hopefully, HBO and Showtime moves out to Viacom or Amazon soon.

Last edited:
I personally think Disney+ is overrated. How many groundbreaking series it has given us? Only one name comes to mind and India is not the market for Star Wars.
Judging a brand which isn't even an year old, which had stuck with production shutdowns on many shows for the last 6 months due to ongoing pandemic is utter foolishness imo. Clearly in the rapped up Emmys they have own 8 awards, nominated for the best drama series what else they should achieve. Amazon Prime Video which is more than a decade old end up scoring only 2 awards if I remember correctly. They have better non fiction content than most of its competitors via Nat Geo, Disneynature and other Originals.
They will do what Hotstar have already being doing till now. Rely on sports, HBO, FX, ABC and Showtime. Hopefully, HBO and Showtime moves out to Viacom or Amazon soon.
They are doing the same, they know how to market based on the country they are launching in. Clearly they never relied on ShowTime/abc content too much as they have only limited output from them. Their drivers are FX and HBO, now Disney+ joined the band wagon.

Judging a brand which isn't even an year old, which had stuck with production shutdowns on many shows for the last 6 months due to ongoing pandemic is utter foolishness imo. Clearly in the rapped up Emmys they have own 8 awards, nominated for the best drama series what else they should achieve. Amazon Prime Video which is more than a decade old end up scoring only 2 awards if I remember correctly. They have better non fiction content than most of its competitors via Nat Geo, Disneynature and other Originals.
At first amazon is not a traditional entertainment company. They didn't even gave importance to content until Prime launched worldwide. Meanwhile Disney had been making content for decades. They are not even in same market. One is selling e-commerce. The other is selling entertainment content.

I don't buy Disney's non fiction content being great. There are other studios like BBC, Netflix, Apple and YouTube who makes amazing infotainment content. Both critics and user reviews dictates same. Sometime I feel Vox has better content than Disney+.
They are doing the same, they know how to market based on the country they are launching in. Clearly they never relied on ShowTime/abc content too much as they have only limited output from them. Their drivers are FX and HBO, now Disney+ joined the band wagon.
This Is Us was one of the reason for Hotstar's success with English speaking audience. And I see no difference in Hotstar India's strategy. In coming years this VIP subscription might got away. Cuz, they would only have to rely on sports for revenue in India. Premium it is then.

At first amazon is not a traditional entertainment company. They didn't even gave importance to content until Prime launched worldwide. Meanwhile Disney had been making content for decades. They are not even in same market. One is selling e-commerce. The other is selling entertainment content.
They are there in the streaming segment and is the second in terms of subscription. You yourself said that the service is overrated thats fine, so what if overrated they have 50+ million (leaving Hotstar ) subs in less than 10 months, with only limited markets which should have lost substantial amount of subs if people found it overrated.
I don't buy Disney's non fiction content being great. There are other studios like BBC, Netflix, Apple and YouTube who makes amazing infotainment content. Both critics and user reviews dictates same. Sometime I feel Vox has better content than Disney+.
Nat Geo is one of the best Infotainment content producer there are. Other competitors are having good infotainment that's like BBC earth or Discovery+!

Ps: One thing which baffles me is that u yourself says u don't have Hotstar Sub, without even watching them how can you judge? I'm ending this here itself because u will come up with some irrelevant comments again.

They are there in the streaming segment and is the second in terms of subscription. You yourself said that the service is overrated thats fine, so what if overrated they have 50+ million (leaving Hotstar ) subs in less than 10 months, with only limited markets which should have lost substantial amount of subs if people found it overrated.

Nat Geo is one of the best Infotainment content producer there are. Other competitors are having good infotainment that's like BBC earth or Discovery+!

Ps: One thing which baffles me is that u yourself says u don't have Hotstar Sub, without even watching them how can you judge? I'm ending this here itself because u will come up with some irrelevant comments again.
My point was about relying on sports. If there is no alternative to watch IPL and Premier League. Obviously people will buy a subscription to watch.

I don't get why you are so defensive about Hotstar. Their app itself is not comparable to one's offered by global players like Netflix. It has several DRM issues. I was reading about their app not having higher frame rate support on OnlyTech during IPL stream which is their biggest event of the year.

Suggest me one Nat Geo content on Disney+ worthy of watching. I am a big fan of Nat Geo. Grew up watching it. And reading Nat Geo magazine.

And I had Hotstar subscription which expired last August. I haven't renewed it. Even now I sometime borrow it from my siblings. If I find some documentary or movie worthy of watching.

My point was about relying on sports. If there is no alternative to watch IPL and Premier League. Obviously people will buy a subscription to watch.

I don't get why you are so defensive about Hotstar. Their app itself is not comparable to one's offered by global players like Netflix. It has several DRM issues. I was reading about their app not having higher frame rate support on OnlyTech during IPL stream which is their biggest event of the year.

Suggest me one Nat Geo content on Disney+ worthy of watching. I am a big fan of Nat Geo. Grew up watching it. And reading Nat Geo magazine.

And I had Hotstar subscription which expired last August. I haven't renewed it. Even now I sometime borrow it from my siblings. If I find some documentary or movie worthy of watching.
This is what exactly I meant that u comeup irrelevant things. I'm not defending anyone and disagreeing with you doesn't mean I defend them, and what I said was regarding Content and more over Disney+'s content. Nowhere there I have brought up Hotstar or thier platform. I have many issues with the platform, I regularly take up with their support team.

Last edited:
oyi0fdJ.jpg

Does Star even need Star Sports 2, Star Sports 2 HD and Star Sports 3? Nothing fresh airs mostly here. We already get Star Sports Select channels airing all International sporting event. There is Star Sports 1 channels airing localised sporting event. The can use movie channels for sports where schedule conflicts each other.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock