Discussion General Discussions, News & Updates On Indian TV Channels

I think Warner Bros TV shows will continue to be available on TV, they may as well launch their own hybrid English Movie Cum GEC channel. OTT still has limited reach due to various constraints , TV as a medium can reach out to lot of people. Even OTT audience will tune more into TV Channels is good content is made available at affordable pricing.

Also we may soon see even KC Global Media relaunching AXN, Animax in India.

TV, OTT both have huge scope to grow and co-exist in India
More than reach it's about cost. Running a media in India is extremely risk oriented. That's the reason why they shut wb TV channels in India.only discovery will survive as a TV channel and they will bring their shows on OTT only.

More than reach it's about cost. Running a media in India is extremely risk oriented. That's the reason why they shut wb TV channels in India.only discovery will survive as a TV channel and they will bring their shows on OTT only.

Buddy, u r seeing things from a very macro perspective. As far as Warner Media is concerned, they r on a cost cutting spree worldover so India is not the only market where they have shut down Linear TV channels. In many other markets they have closed TV channels, cancelled many ongoing TV shows as well as shelved plans of TV shows which were to be made in near future, had lot of lay offs in workforce, made many changes in company structuring to trim down costs etc.

Also in India if they decide to take the Digital only route for its niche content and line up all such content on Discovery+ then same is not going to work. They will find it extremely hard to compete with Disney+Hotstar, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video etc....even in infotainment, kids space they will still have to implement some very distinct strategy to make a mark in the OTT Space. There is no point in having content on OTT but finding less subscribers for the same

Surely running a TV channel involves lot of cost and more so in a niche genre it is difficult to maintain a balance between investment and revenue but still i would say Warner Bros Discovery has much better potential to garner success thru a TV+OTT broadcast model for all its content rather than making all of the niche content OTT Exclusive. Remember Warner Bros TV shows have huge loyal fan base and as more viewers learn English they will watch TV Channels airing such content rather than OTT bcoz of costing factor, internet penetration / connectivity etc. Adding to this Warner Bros has dubbed many of its TV shows even in Hindi or other regional languages and even most of their hollywood film library has been dubbed in multiple languages so by airing such content on its TV Channels it can cater to wide audience base rather than remaining restricted to niche audience. It can also try to having syndication agreement with some other broadcaster like it has right now but all i can say is that it is important for their content to be largely available through TV Channels

All in all i am quite certain Warner Bros Discovery will look at increasing its TV channel portfolio in India, grow its TV content syndication business in India and making Discovery+ an attractive platform for people to subscribe. All this will help then emerge as a major player in the Indian Pay TV Industry.

Can the channel be again revived and readded to other Dth and DD freedish or only confined to Airtel dth.

What is your view point and understanding @dino29 bro?

It is upto the broadcaster bro. Maybe Atrangii is unable to arrive at consensus on carriage fee amount with various operators hence is unavailable on these platforms.

All i can say is that i see very minute scope for revival or success of this channel. Soon it may again undergo revamp and maybe then relaunch across various DTH or Cable TV platforms

Viacom18 needs to adopt a strategy similar to Disney Star for its hindi movie channels. Flagship channel Colors Cineplex SD should start focusing more on post 2000 popular bollywood movies alongwith few dubbed south indian/hollywood movies, HD feed can continue to air mix of mainstream & offbeat bollywood films & Colors Cineplex Bollywood can continue to feature primarily pre 2000 bollywood content. Also Colors Cineplex Bollywood HD is much needed as single HD Hindi Movie channel is not enough to accommodate vast library of bollywood films.

Viacom18 is only broadcaster to have 2 hindi movie channels on DD Free Dish which cater separately to dubbed cinema and bollywood films audience hence they can feature lot more variety of content on both channels as compared to competitors which have to club bollywood, dubbed south indian movies in a single channel which is made available on DD Free Dish. Having 2 hindi movie channels on DD Free Dish also comes in with a major advantage of catering to both Pay TV and DD Free Dish audience simultaneously thru such channels & reducing repetition of content as broadcaster gets more space to experiment with content rather than deciding upon a scheduling strategy wherein all content is made available on their DD Free Dish channel with minimal overlapping/repetition of the same happening across all their Pay TV hindi movie channels.

I think Nick HD+ is in exit mode as no change in its content strategy has been observed for last few years. Maybe Colors Cineplex Bollywood HD can replace this channel. Both Nick HD+ and Cartoon Network HD+ had immense potential to carve a niche for themselves and cater to teenage or more adult/older audience base but their content strategy has not been planned/executed in required manner. Neither they are airing content which will attracts regular kids audience nor it has any content which older audience will find interesting.

Lastly And TV HD and Star Bharat HD should also be shut down asap and instead of them Disney Star should start a new Retro Bollywood Movie Channel while Zee should maybe start Wion HD or a Kids HD channel. Expecting even Fox Life SD/HD to undergo a revamp soon and hopefully Disney Star will launch a new infotainment channel for science, investigative, biography content too while National Geographic Channel can continue to focus on Adventure, Exploration shows. Fox Life can continue airing mix of Travel, Lifestyle, Food Shows

Going by what has been mentioned in this article, Zee Network Hindi Movie Channels will continue to focus morebon dubbed south indian movies :(

They should rather invest more on acquiring older bollywood films which perform really well on TV, by taking dubbed south indian cinema centric approach they will lose out on the bollywood audience base and as i have discussed earlier on in various threads that this surely creates huge adverse financial impact in the long run

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock