Govt's decision on digitisation deadline next week

anilsk01

Contributor
Reaction score
NEW DELHI: With the clock closing fast on the deadline for the first phase of digitisation, the highly-awaited meeting of the Task Force ended with a whimper today as Information and Broadcasting Ministry said it would take a decision on the demand of deferment of the first phase of digitisation early next week.

The hour-long meeting, presided over by I&B Secretary Uday Kumar Varma, is understood to have been fairly stormy with the cable operators and multi-system opertors on the one hand and broadcasters on the other sticking to their respective stands.

The meeting was also attended from the side of the Ministry by Joint Secretary (Broadcasting) Supriya Sahu.

Emerging from the meeting, Varma told newspersons that there was a free and frank discussion of all the issues. He also said the Ministry had heard the viewpoints of all stakeholders, and was in touch with state governments.

It is understood that while the cable operators wanted an extension until December this year, some of the MSOs were agreeable to an extension up to September, citing the shortage of digital set top boxes and the late issuance of the tariff regulations by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India. Some cable operators said that failure to switch to digitisation by 1 July may lead to law and order problems.

Varma said Mumbai was better placed than the other metros to launch digitisation. He said the Government now had a clearer position of the readiness of various stakeholders.

Today's meeting was a follow-up of a meeting between stakeholders from different parts of India and I&B Minister Ambika Soni ended with the Government not agreeing to defer the first phase of digitisation in the metros.

Await detailed report...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock