Gupta moves to India Today, Raj Kamal Jha is new editor of Express Group

Dileep Kumar

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: Shekhar Gupta has joined the India Today group as vice-chairman of India Today Group and editor-in-chief of India Today magazine, reveal the source close to the development.
Gupta, editor-in-chief of the Indian Express, had announced its resignation on 2 June through a farewell mail to the staff.
Meanwhile, Raj Kamal Jha has been named chief editor of the Indian Express.
In a decision just a day after Shekhar’s decision, chairman Viveck Goenka announced that Unni Rajen Shanker will take Jha’s place as editor. Until now, Unni was managing editor.
Both Jha and Shanker joined the daily in 1996. Goenka said in a mail to the staff that Jha has brought to the newsroom creativity, clarity and depth, three qualities increasingly rare in our business. Jha could not have a stronger partner in the newsroom than Managing Editor Unni Rajen Shanker, he added.
Jha will report to Goenka.
In the mail, Goenka who is also MD of the Group said: “With much regret, I accept Shekhar Gupta’s resignation as editor-in-chief of The Indian Express. I truly appreciate his letter to all of us and I wish him the very best.
Shekhar leaves on June 15, just a year short of his 20 years here -- another moment of transition in the long history of this great institution.
When I chose him for the position of editor in 1995, I was taking no leap in the dark. I was absolutely convinced that Shekhar, then 38, was the best person to guide this newspaper into the future. And I feel more than vindicated today.
So many news breaks (I have happily lost count) delivered by the finest reporters, editors, sub editors, designers and photographers, a team I am very proud of, team which is the envy of every newspaper publisher: three International Press Institute Awards for Excellence in Journalism; the most questioning opinion section in the business and the most generous, too, given how it welcomes dissenting voices; a renewal of talent each year by the youngest and the brightest from our campuses – Shekhar leaves the newspaper stronger than ever.
Key to each one of these achievements has been the consistently stellar work of the Express team under the leadership of editor Raj Kamal Jha. Raj's leadership is grounded in his commitment to professional excellence and uncompromising integrity. He brings to the newsroom creativity, clarity and depth, three qualities increasingly rare in our business. This not only inspires his colleagues, it powers them to realise their best potential.
Raj could not have a stronger partner in the newsroom than managing editor Unni Rajen Shanker.
Unni has been a reporter, an editor, a resident editor (Mumbai) and editor of the Express News Service. He brings to his leadership a deep understanding of all the different roles in the changing newsroom and an unrivalled sense of fairness and empathy. It's this that enables him attract the finest talent and then nurture them. Unni is one of the pillars of the Express.
Since they joined in 1996, both have steered change and are, therefore, ideally placed to help guide the paper into the future. That is why, to facilitate a seamless transition, I am proud to repose my faith in them and redesignate them for their new roles.
Raj will be chief editor and will report to me. Unni will be editor.
I look forward to working closely with them. They will find me every bit as supportive as all their predecessors, including Shekhar did, as we plan and implement exciting new upgrades to all our news brands.
There is work to do.
We have witnessed a remarkable election and an even more remarkable victory that bring with it challenges for all of us in the news business whose mission is to question, to report, to interpret and to analyse.
I firmly believe and, more so, given the changes in the media landscape, that these are challenges best suited for The Indian Express given how strongly independence and courage are wired in our genes. I believe that the present news media environment in India offers us an opportunity to rededicate ourselves to what we do best: faithful and courageous journalism. With all the shrill voices on TV, the paid news in print and the corporate funded or politician backed news organizations, The Indian Express must be the voice India can turn to and trust. Speaking truth to power is hard wired in the genes of our editorial teams. The "Express" commitment read more:- Gupta moves to India Today, Raj Kamal Jha is new editor of Express Group | Indian Television Dot Com

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock