DDF Exclusive H.266 OR VVC Codec

Reaction score
Should TATA Sky and other dth operators have waited before launching binge plus stb and included h.266 codec?
It is relevant as Bandwidth required for the current 1080p avc (mpeg4 h.264) will be equal to 4k vvc (mpeg-I h.266)
So technically you can broadcast 4k channels with the same channel bandwidth of current hdtv channels
Will they launch a new stb later for h.266 in the future and make binge+ obsolete OR broadcast 4k in less efficient hevc h.265 codec to stay compatible with tata sky 4k and binge+ stb.
Just starting a discussion.

basics on h.266
Versatile Video Coding - Wikipedia

Well it's too much expectations....
1st let they add a 4K channel for DTH subscribers...It's for DTH users..
Let come to OTT services...
Most of the OTT apps give Dolby sounds and HDR even in Mobiles...Sadly These DTH +OTT Android STBs doesn't provide them...
So it's better not go beyond HEVC H.265 codec...Let be we happy to have HEVC H.265 codec STBs...Actually these HEVC H.265 added only to get more space to add channels in the given Transponders..

Last edited:
thanks for the reply
I agree that it is too much expectation for a box worth 2200-3000rs , but just like everyone skipped h.263 (mpeg3) to mpeg4 directly for 1080p channels, h.266 should have been prioritized.
I hope that my 3 binge+ boxes won't become obsolete in next 5-8 years at least.

thanks for the reply
I agree that it is too much expectation for a box worth 2200-3000rs , but just like everyone skipped h.263 (mpeg3) to mpeg4 directly for 1080p channels, h.266 should have been prioritized.
I hope that my 3 binge+ boxes won't become obsolete in next 5-8 years at least.
Even now this box is no special use for normal DTH user...The differences r UI and no dedicated FAV button..As a DTH user he has to invest more for almost nothing...
On Codec
There is another STB meant for 4K...Even there operator had given a sports telecast in 4K for few days only...So in near future don't expect any 4K channel but maybe travel XP 4k is the only hope...
4K channel needs more space than a HD channel...Every ops has to adjust the space for common users demands of channels...I think Binge plus box will last at least for 10 years...Remember the MPEG4 boxes still running smoothly..Not everyone has the potential to buy even HD boxes in India...
As I have Binge Plus box nearly 1 year I understand that this box is not meant either for DTH only or for OTT only purpose...bcoz it's too costly and less features for DTH and almost no features likes of even Dolby sound HDR for OTT...

Last edited:
Even now this box is no special use for normal DTH user...The differences r UI and no dedicated FAV button..As a DTH user he has to invest more for almost nothing...
On Codec
There is another STB meant for 4K...Even there operator had given a sports telecast in 4K for few days only...So in near future don't expect any 4K channel but maybe travel XP 4k is the only hope...
4K channel needs more space than a HD channel...Every ops has to adjust the space for common users demands of channels...I think Binge plus box will last at least for 10 years...Remember the MPEG4 boxes still running smoothly..Not everyone has the potential to buy even HD boxes in India...
As I have Binge Plus box nearly 1 year I understand that this box is not meant either for DTH only or for OTT only purpose...bcoz it's too costly and less features for DTH and almost no features likes of even Dolby sound HDR for OTT...
4K channel needs more space than a HD channel. But That is where h.266 comes in. in the same 7-8 Mhz (for 1080 50i h.264) you can broadcast 2160 50i with h.266
bandwidth for 4k50i at h.266 = 1080 50i at h.264 = 576 50i at h.262 all in 7-8 mhz per ch
Btw does the 2015 uhd box that still costs 5k have any feature that binge+ box doesn't have? I feel for the people who bought 4k tvs and 7k stb just for couple world cup matches and some football matches.
binge+ physically can support dolby sound and hdr later, but h.266 codec is impossible to add without hardware upgrade

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock