HDDVR comparison-Airtel HDrecorder VS TataSky+HD VS DishTruHD+ VS Reliance HDDVR

Reaction score
[/font]As i have Every HD DVR available in India excpet Videocon HD DVR , i thought i shall do an ultimate comparison between them.
1. COST OF STB
>Airtel HD recorder - Rs 5999(with one month any pack free)
>Tata Sky + HD - Rs 5940(one month supreme sports kids pack free)
>Dish Tru HD + - RS 2690(any pack free) ( here i would like to add that this DOES NOT include any sort of hard disk , and the cheapest 320 Gb hard drive on flipkart.com costs Rs 3355)
>Reliance HD DVR - Rs 4890 (with one month any pack + Ultra sharp 1 free)

The tata sky + HD STB looks very sleek and sharp.
wu2tjs.jpg

The Dish TruHD + box is small and looks good in black but not as sleek as the tata sky STB.
96kle0.jpg

The Airtel HD DVR STB looks quite good with its matte black finish.
nx9t8n.jpg

The Reliance Digital Tv HD DVR is quite unremakable but neverthless looks good sitting on the plasma stand.
2w5jack.jpg

2.FEATURES-
>Airtel HD Recorder -
-Has 320 GB built in HDD(Upto 550 hours of recording)
- Offers Series recording and 7 Days of EPG
-Has Dual Tuners which allow you to Either record one programme and watch another or record two programmes while watching One of the Shows being recorded or a previous recording.
-3D ready
- Offers 14 True HD channels which is the highest among all DTH operators.

>Tata Sky + -
-500 Gb internal HDD.
-Series recording with 7 days EPG.
-Has Dual Tuners which allow you to Either record one programme and watch another or record two programmes while watching One of the Shows being recorded or a previous recording.
-Offers VOD , with with you can watch previous shows on select channels and Movies on Demand using your internet connection.
- Currently offers 8 true HD channels but more are expected once the space issue gets sorted out.

>Dish Tru HD+ -
-No internal HDD (you can connect any external HDD upto 2TB , currently i have a seagate 320 GB HDD connected)
-7 days EPG , no series recording.(But most of the time i dont get EPG beyond 4-5 days for most channels)
-Claims to offer 41 HD channels but in reality offers only 12 True HD channels and tries to foll customers by charging extra for Upscaled SD content.
- NO dual tuners , only a single tuner , which means you cannot watch one show while recording another show or record two shows at once.

>Reliance Digital Tv HD DVR-
-160 Gb internal HDD.( can record upto 200 hours of SD content)
-only 2 days EPG with no option of series recording.
-Ability to make individual folders for recorded content.
-has Dual tuners which allow you to watch one channel while recording another but you CANNOT record two shows at once.
- Offers 9 True HD channels.

3.INSTALLATION EXPERIENCE-

>Airtel HD recorder
- Once paying rs 4690 online , Got a call from the installation team after 2 whole days , who came the next day in the morning to install the STB and Dish.
- The person was quite freindly and completed the installation within an hour and the channels got activated instantly.
- the only drwaback was that it took a lot of time for them to call after paying the money online.
3.5/5

>Tata Sky + HD
-I already had a tata sky + installed and when the HD recorder was launched , i got a letter from tata sky which contained the Tata Sky + HD brochure.
>After registering the request for tata sky + HD (cost me just rs 3999 then), th installation personell came within 24 hours , was very courtious and installation and activation was done within 45 minutes as the dish was already installed.
4/5

>Dish Tru HD -
-Now this was close to a nightmare. I had a Dish tv SD box since its inception in 2004 , and as soon as Dish Tv launched theor HD service , i called up their CC and registered a request.
- Firstly the guy came the next day With the SD STB , claiming he had no clue that you had ordered a HD STB.
-Then he went back and came 4 hours later with the HD STB(8 pm at night ) , Then the whole installation exprience was like a nightamare because the guy was extremely impolite and rude.(didnt even know how to speak english)
-He spoke to my parents in such a rude way with his exact words being "Main is ghar mein installation nahi kar sakta , kisi aur pagal ko bhejo"
- All this just because he heard me and my dad comment that the TATA sky installation was much smoother , he also remarked that "toi phir tata sky hi lagwa lete" ( I know its very hard to belive and im not starting any anti dish tv campaign here as i its cutomer for the past 8 years, but im just sharing my horrible exprience)
1/5

>Reliance Digital Tv HD DVR
-I just got this installed on 1st Feb 2011.
-after registering the request to The CC , i got a call from a delaer , who informed me of the current packages and sent the GSK kit the same day withinh 4 hours.
-The installtion team came the next day . were decent and polite and installed the dish and STB within an hour , but they started leaving and told me that the channels will be activated within 24 hours.
-I Told them that i want the channels activated now and they will not leave unless the channels are up and running.
-It took 1.5 hours plus several calls to the dealer to get the channels activated plus they had no idea about the universal remote.
3/5

>USER INTERFACE AND USER EXPERIENCE -

-Airtel HD recorder -
- THe UI consists maily of the colors red and black and looks very sleek and smart. There is no pixelation of fonts and the UI speed is very fast.

skxe10.jpg

-The Mini guide offers EPG for the next 14 hours while th guide offers 7 days EPG. The Guide doesnt take any time to load the EPG and is blazingly fast. Plus the recording and series recording is very easy to set up. But the series recording feature has a major flaw which i will come to later.

2ylmvib.jpg

2vbmr0k.jpg

-You can set upto 4 favourites but can put ONLY 15 channels in each list which is quite less atleast for me.
Plus you can also rename your favourites list.

5b2nav.jpg

- Now the my recordings sub menu is designed well and is easy to use but has 2 MAJOR flaws , First when you delete a recording , the list jumps back to the first title , which is REALLY IRRITATING. Secondly , If you have assigned a series recording , you cannot delete individual episodes in the series and con only delete the whole series at once which is also a major flaw and should be rectified ASAP.

289jz15.jpg

- Overall 3.5/5

>Tata Sky + HD -
-

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock